Drone coverage at the national - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone coverage at the national

With rotation, I would think drone footage of the test dog would equalize any advantage throughout the course of the week, unless of course you were running in the first few dogs of series 1. I also miss the drone and Pat’s interviews.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If these powers are so worried about things being fair they should really worry about the illegal tests, the poor judging and favoritism and many other things of a weekend trial. the national was one of the greatest experiences i have ever had in my life and pats tent enhanced that. I didnt have a pro that was giving me guidance tho or kno a lot of people, i didnt see anyone really having an advantage due to the drone videos but i do feel it was great exposure for this sport which desperately needs new blood and needs to keep evolving, this is an amazing sport and the national is the pinnacle, y not showcase that and like said earlier maybe things can be learned from such coverage for other judges etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The official photographer is Mark Atwater. The drone footage is from Pat Burns Elite Retriever Training and is displayed on a giant LED screen in his company logo tent. He also has footage of interviews with people regarding the trial.
    Very obvious problem there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It would be nice to have the footage not be available to anyone until the series is completed and the next series starts. No advantage to anyone in the event. It would be educational for all of the people sitting home trying to learn more about the sport.
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH*** R.I.P.
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**

"I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    If these powers are so worried about things being fair they should really worry about the illegal tests, the poor judging and favoritism and many other things of a weekend trial. the national was one of the greatest experiences i have ever had in my life and pats tent enhanced that. I didnt have a pro that was giving me guidance tho or kno a lot of people, i didnt see anyone really having an advantage due to the drone videos but i do feel it was great exposure for this sport which desperately needs new blood and needs to keep evolving, this is an amazing sport and the national is the pinnacle, y not showcase that and like said earlier maybe things can be learned from such coverage for other judges etc etc
    Agree with this 100% , at every weekend FT you get to hear the conversation about how FT are dying due to lack of new blood. Now you have a way to show case our sport and Pat did a fantastic job. did the drone shots and the interviews give later handlers an unfair advantage ? I believe the real advantage goes to the individual running multiple dogs. I would add that every professional sport has intense drone coverage and interviews , is ours so different?
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) SH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    “The powers that be” is a poorly defined and elusive entity. Is this a NRC decision or a RN decision? I suspect that the he/she/they will remain anonymous.

Several years ago an NARC officer banned personal cameras from the gallery and claimed some sort of copyright infringement for anyone recording videos on cellphones or video cameras.

Anyone who runs later is the beneficiary of information from everyone who ran before, workers, and officials that early handlers do not possess.

And, by the way, I can get much better information from my buddy who is an 8 point judge and competitor who happens to be on the Steward’s or Marshall’s Committee than I would ever get from watching a drone video of the test dogs.

Maybe, just maybe that decision is actually about money and not competition.
    Look what came up in my FB Memories today: "Since when can't a visitor to the National Open take pictures with her own small digital camera and share those pictures with her friends? I've been told to cease and desist "broadcasting" the event. Oh, and also that I could get a commercial vendor license.I guess that would allow me to take my pictures! Some way to treat a person that has volunteered to work the event for a couple of days.Unreal!"

I was also asked to leave the grounds if I would not take my camera back to my vehicle.
    Vicky
    ADMIN

http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

It is pretty laughable, really, when you think about the number of sporting events (football, baseball, etc) where people are allowed to video and photograph to their heart's content. Does the national retriever championship or national amateur retriever championship or the AKC REALLY make that much money on footage/photography of our 'small' sporting dog venue? Really? I could understand if Mr Atwater had an issue with someone carrying a 'professional camera/large lenses into the gallery.... but is he concerned about someone with a cellphone standing in the gallery?

Are cameras allowed in agility stadiums/venues? dogs shows? obedience trials? or other k-9 events? Even the superbowl allows cameras with 'short' lenses... (ie not zoom lenses)
    Last edited by Tobias; 11-16-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Are cameras allowed in agility stadiums/venues? dogs shows? obedience trials? or other k-9 events?
    Cameras are absolutely permitted. My wife and some of her friends sometimes make a video with their cell phones of the entire golden retriever competition at conformation shows. AKC live streams, e.g. Westminster and the National Dog Show annually.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Sounds like most agree that no drone videos and banning cameras at the National is a bunch of Barbara Streisand.
    What should we do about it?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Sounds like most agree that no drone videos and banning cameras at the National is a bunch of Barbara Streisand.
    What should we do about it?
    LOL... Does anyone have names and mailing/email address for those interested in sharing their concerns with 'the powers that be'?
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.