The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-Ownership and it's benefits

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Default Co-Ownership and it's benefits

I don't have any experience with co-ownership, so this is just for my own understanding without any judgement to anyone that co-owns.

I can see where there may be an appeal to co-own a nice dog where both parties are active trialers. Costs can be shared. Both can handle the dog and enjoy it. Obviously any income can be split.

What I don't understand is a situation where there is a co-owner that may not actively handle the dog. I'm not familiar with the specifics, nor am I judging the parties or looking for the specifics of the business arrangements, but for example the co-ownership of the most recent NAFC. Looking at history, it seems only one of the two owners handles the dog. There were several people praising Mr. Kahn for the foresight to enter a co-ownership for the dog, and with good reason. I'm just curious why one might own part of a dog that they aren't running. Do the motivations for a partnership like that change between an active trialer and one that doesn't typically run their own dogs? Just a general question, not necessarily specific to that particular partnership.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Owner handler all age stakes would be one reason.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

There are lots of owners that don't run their dogs. Maybe moreso than people that do? So, a partnership like that doesn't particularly surprise me. I am sure there are several similar situations out there. There are some people that like to own dogs but have no interest in actually walking to the line...

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Great conversation , as we've recently seen co-ownership can go horribly wrong . that being said I do co-own two dogs , my co-owner does not currently run the dogs but she is an active partner , assists in financing , whelping pups and paper work details and the dogs are availabe to her if she does want to walk to the line.

I would caution people about entering into this type of partnersip , you need to really trust your partner and put everything in writing right up front.
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) SH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
    There are some people that like to own dogs but have no interest in actually walking to the line...
    Yes there are and I don't get it, but to each their own. Some are breeders that don't have the time or the desire to run their dogs.
    Some people just lack confidence or even have what suppose could be called "stage fright". I have some friends that get extremely nervous at events, their dogs recognize and are confused by it too.

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
    There are lots of owners that don't run their dogs. Maybe moreso than people that do? So, a partnership like that doesn't particularly surprise me. I am sure there are several similar situations out there. There are some people that like to own dogs but have no interest in actually walking to the line...
    I understand that these kinds of partnerships exist, and that there are individual owners that also don't run their dogs. I wouldn't do that personally, but to each their own. The part that I was curious about would be a partner that is very active in running other dogs, but not one that they co-own. If you are sole owner of several nice dogs and actively run them, then why might one enter into a co-ownership of a dog they aren't running. Not asking anyone to speak to another's motivations behind any specific agreement, but just a general idea of how that may be an attractive partnership.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl

How about two people that want a top FT pro to train and run opens with a nice dog but don't have the means to solely afford said pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    If you are sole owner of several nice dogs and actively run them, then why might one enter into a co-ownership of a dog they aren't running.
    Having dogs at multiple trials on the same weekend could be one reason.

Not all handlers are created equal! Just because you like doing it doesn't mean your good at it. Having dogs on multiple circuits is another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared McComis View Post
    Not all handlers are created equal! Just because you like doing it doesn't mean your good at it......
    I seem to recall here on the forum several years ago much brouhaha over the "professional amateur" . Is this basically of what you speak? Somebody who can step in put an AFC on your dog and walk away?