A different hold problem - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A different hold problem

Thanks to all. To clarify he has no trouble with hold when walking on a leash or at heel or jumping up onto a platform or table. It is just when I say sit he drops it. He definitely knows what sit means and as soon as I say it his butt hits the ground but he drops the roller. If I put it in his mouth while sitting the butt comes up but a correction (tap on the butt) or saying sit puts the butt right back down but he drops the roller.

Picked up two ducks today and brought them 30 or so yards through the water across a few yards of land and jumped into the blind without dropping them. I just didn't ask him to sit .

I think I'll just start force fetch and go from there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I kinda think they get like a hot spot from getting corrected in the same spot all the time. I think dropping the bumper can be bugging where they know they get to move. It might not apply to your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Try some gentle upward pressure on his collar and maybe a little on the butt with the other hand WITHOUT giving the command. If you're a little patient and artful about it he'll more than likely get the idea. Add the word back WITHOUT PRESSURE AT FIRST once he gets the idea.

Be sure to take the object and praise when he gets it right!

He's trying to be a good boy. Don't get frustrated and start punishing him. He just doesn't understand.

You taught him to forget everything else he's doing and get his butt on the ground when you conditioned the sit command. He's doing exactly what you taught him in the previous steps. Be patient and work through the new context you created when you put the object in his mouth.
    This reminds me of trying to explain to people that you can't say 'sit down' or 'get down' to a dog without really confusing the dog and frustrating the owner. I quit trying to remind my husband to use the word 'off' when he wants the dog to get off his lap. LOL

Good advice.

The dog is showing the OP he doesn't understand or isn't able to complete the 'two commands simultaneously.

Whenever I see the same (unwanted) behavior in my dog while I am in 'teaching' mode, I stand back and remember the definition of insanity..... And try to find what I am doing wrong.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post

The dog is showing the OP he doesn't understand or isn't able to complete the 'two commands simultaneously.
    That's not really what's going on but let's discuss elsewhere.

That's not really what's going on but let's discuss elsewhere.
    Ok - go.

Since I agreed with your post where you said the dog doesn't understand..... because... the dog doesn't understand and can't complete both tasks simultaneously... He doesn't understand how to do both commands because the pressure associated with the sit command is at the forefront of his thought process. I gotta sit!

That's my take away, wrong as it may be.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

It's a pressure problem

It's a pressure problem
    yes, agreed.

I wonderif you have a dog, that naturally loves to hold things,and carry them around, is perfectly comfortable holding something when sitting,, would be the HARDEST dog to Force fetch..? How would you know the step ( Understanding FORCE, and how to deal with it) was complete?
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I wonderif you have a dog, that naturally loves to hold things,and carry them around, is perfectly comfortable holding something when sitting,, would be the HARDEST dog to Force fetch..? How would you know the step ( Understanding FORCE, and how to deal with it) was complete?
    I had one. He would pick up any object left in the floor in the house and try to shove it in my hand or put it on my lap. He was just born that way. If I didn't put things away I would end up with a pile of shoes, gloves, anything he could carry.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Push to a refusal and get through it