Place or kennel command?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Place or kennel command?

Default Place or kennel command?

I purchased a Momarsh Invisilab blind and I’m not sure whether it would be better to use the kennel or place command. My dog knows both commands. I have been using kennel for his outdoor kennel, house crate and truck crate. Place has been used for a place board. What are you guys using and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I use "kennel" just because I'm telling the dog to get inside. Either command is probably fine, kennel just seems to make more sense to me.
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

I have always used just kennel for anytime I want my dog to get into a kennel, the truck, a boat or a spot in the boat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I use kennel for everything! I have found that with what we do and where we hunt, we get in many more things than we get on things. I even use kennel when training or hunting off of a stand. Just easier for me.

We get in the boat, in the blind, in the pit, in the truck, in the kennel in the house or in the truck. The stand would be the only thing that we actually get on so it makes much more sense for me to use kennel for everything.

Agree, use kennel for anything where the dog goes to a spot.
    How long have you had the Invisilab? Would like some feedback, how stable is it? etc.
    Thanks
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Up View Post
    I use "kennel" just because I'm telling the dog to get inside. Either command is probably fine, kennel just seems to make more sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I have always used just kennel for anytime I want my dog to get into a kennel, the truck, a boat or a spot in the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by jforqueran View Post
    I use kennel for everything! I have found that with what we do and where we hunt, we get in many more things than we get on things. I even use kennel when training or hunting off of a stand. Just easier for me.

We get in the boat, in the blind, in the pit, in the truck, in the kennel in the house or in the truck. The stand would be the only thing that we actually get on so it makes much more sense for me to use kennel for everything.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    How long have you had the Invisilab? Would like some feedback, how stable is it? etc.
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I just got it Thursday. I haven’t trained or hunted with it yet, but it seems to be well built.

I was just doing some pre season tuneups this morning with my MoMarsh and a ground blind, throwing shackled flyer and emptying my gun. My 2yo handles it pretty well. I use kennel.
    Last edited by Sabireley; 11-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I just got it Thursday. I haven’t trained or hunted with it yet, but it seems to be well built.
    I good way to get started is make them kennel in the blind for treats, then do a “kennel drill” before they get their food at dinner time. That is an easy way to get them relaxed about the blind. After that you can move it to the yard, then the field. It’s funny how they will dive right in it in one place then act like they have never seen it in another. Keeping them in it when guns are blazing is another story. The MoMarsh is easier to keep them inside it as it is off the ground. It’s actually pretty stable if the legs are adjusted right. My guy is 80 lbs and very tall. He can launch right out of it without tipping it over.

Kennel is simply a word.....so is place. With my dogs they are perfectly capable of differentiating what a kennel is
    and all the "places" one might place a dog in. For example, being able to point to a new "place" is just as simple
    as using "kennel". Frankly, I prefer to call a kennel what it is and all the other places as "places". It is not all that
    complicated for a trained retriever that works in a well defined context.

For example, (and given that I use place consistently), when doing many walking/send back singles, it would sound
    silly (for me) to tell my dogs "kennel" when sending then back to a place that is not a kennel (unless it was). Then
    again, the results would essentially be the same for whatever the dog is taught. Sooo, does it really make a difference?

For the record, there are many, many different kinds of "places" and when a dog is conditioned to that approach,
    one can point to a new place and a dog will understand. Then again "kennel" will do exactly the same thing.

I could quit with this, but I was reminded of a difficult hunt in the backwaters of the Mississippi River. A log I needed
    (to sit and hide on) was near where the ducks wanted o be. There was nowhere for Gunny to get out of the water.
    However, some hunters left a sheet of plywood on a small mound about 100 yards from that log. I pointed to the
    plywood and said "Place".....then went to the log.

Gunny stayed there (on his dry place) until I needed him. Retrieves were made and each time he returned to the "place".

The hunt would have been exactly the same if I had used "kennel".....except ir wasn't a kennel.

"Another Favorite Place"

Last edited by KwickLabs; 11-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com