British vs. American bred Labs for AKC retriever hunt tests
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British vs. American bred Labs for AKC retriever hunt tests

Default British vs. American bred Labs for AKC retriever hunt tests

Thinking about getting a 100% British Lab puppy in the future after my yellow Am bred Lab earns his last master pass. Shine is a very driven retriever from FT bloodlines and is somewhat hard to handle. He made the derby list but never got 2nd or first to get QAA. Did get several thirds, though. Anyway, would like to find a small female puppy (maturing about 45-50) to train and run-in HT. Any thoughts about British Labs that have made their mark in HT?
    Thanks!

KM

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have one who has passed 20 of 22 hunt tests and has both his NAHRA mhr and HRCH titles.

Do your research and you should be able to find a very nice ht prospect
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I had a male British Lab from Double TT British Kennels. He was MH, HRCH and QAA(1ST).

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would be very careful where you buy your pup from. I did the same route as you 2 years ago for the exact same reason and had to wash him out since since I couldn’t get him excited about the water despite my efforts which were exhaustive. Full sibling to my dog has the exact same problem and a pro friend of mine told me he has seen this a lot with British labs and he has been doing his work for 25 plus years.

I blame myself for not doing the pedigree/genetics homework I should have. On the dams side there was only one titled dog in the 5 generations.

Rick McConnel out of old oak kennels in Minnesota is an excellent British lab breeder and trainer who would be a great person to have a conversation with. He takes his breeding very seriously.

Just do your homework and you should be aok.

Good advise here!
    I would say if they are actually from British field bred dogs you will be fine. Out my way I cringe when I hear someone say they have or want a British lab. People here consider show bred dogs British. They associate the short heavy bodied fat headed dogs with British labs and almost 100% of the time they have no British anywhere in their pedigree

Sire
    HRCH TTF Craighorn Kiffin MH x Dam HR TTF Quivira Millbuies Katie JH

I train with people that have a female from this breeding.
    She is a very mild mannered and intelligent. I think about 4 years old. Leads a very pampered life, even compared to my dog.
    Has some HRC points and three master passes, no fails. I watched her at one master and she did every test to perfection.
    She also jammed one Qual.
    She is far from being a high drive field trial dog but she isn't what I would call soft either.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

As a breeder of UK dogs, in the past 20 years I have brought a handful or so to NAHRA Grand Master titles. I'm a small operation and train and run my own dogs so I usually only concentrate on a couple at a time. Sorry for the shameless plug - but i have one litter down currently GMHR Oak x SR Kim, and will have another on the ground this week FTW Diego x Jessie. Really nice working pedigrees all around with complete health clearances.
    Castle Heights Gundogs
    www.castleheightsgundogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/chgundogs/

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff

I know Haynes Floyd and he is a person I was thinking of getting a puppy from. Can you pm your contact as would like to talk to you about the one you got from him. Thanks!

KM

Why pay twice the price for the same product?

If you have a temperament in mind that you want you can find it in American bred litters who are proven over many generations to be successful in the games you are interested in.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

For what it is worth the 12 year old dog that I just lost was from Dave Combs who posted a bit earlier here. He was a special dog and I believe the litters he has now are a generation removed from the same sire. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with one of Dave's dogs.

As for price, I'm on my second British dog and neither cost more than a comparably titled American breeding.