British vs. American bred Labs for AKC retriever hunt tests - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: British vs. American bred Labs for AKC retriever hunt tests

If the OP is looking for a nice dog to play the HT game with , from UK bloodlines, they would do well to have a conversation with Dave Combs. I have judged his dogs and dogs bought from him and they were very nice working dogs.

I am wondering though, about the OP's desire for such a small specimen. A properly proportioned bitch of that size would be well outside the breed standard. -Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 11-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Cousin Bond, is that you?
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.

You are technically correct. But we all know the OP is actually looking for a bench bred Lab and doesn't want to say so. There are (too) many styles of Labradors but they are all the same breed. We, so far, do not have English or American Labrador Retrievers, like the Cocker spaniel breeds.
    Marcia Lucas

The True Labrador
    https://truelabrador.wordpress.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I don't think there would be any 40-50 lb bench bred labs? Wouldn't that be quite a bit under breed standard?
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    You are technically correct. But we all know the OP is actually looking for a bench bred Lab and doesn't want to say so. There are (too) many styles of Labradors but they are all the same breed. We, so far, do not have English or American Labrador Retrievers, like the Cocker spaniel breeds.
    I don’t know that. I think the OP just wants a more mild mannered dog than the one he has.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Lucas,
    Your assumption is way off base. I spoke personally with the OP via phone on Sunday and she is absolutely not in search of an English bench Lab. The OP and her husband currently have an American FT bred Lab and need one more leg to qualify for an MH title. All Labs, there are major differences in bench style vs. field bred Labrador Retrievers, those differences are readily apparent in the general build of the animal. The OP has some options for some really fine UK bred field performance retrievers and they won't be anything like a bench bred Labrador.

Irishwhistler ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I don't think there would be any 40-50 lb bench bred labs? Wouldn't that be quite a bit under breed standard?
    If he were looking for bench Lab, it would have to be 40-50 kgs or 140-150 lbs in size.

British bitches aren't necessarily smaller than "our own" (quotes again for parochial reference) - mine went as high as 70 lbs. when she was running FTs and now, after the stupendously great care of a certain LRC board member in making her a two-time cancer survivor, she checks in at 62 pounds and would appear almost underfed (if she didn't get so much quality over quantity with free-range venison and chicken).

MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know of an accomplished retriever trainer who bred and sold the English bred labs and he gave up on it. It's not that all of the English bred labs are bad but the percentages for them to be able to handle the crazy things that we Americans expect from them is not as high as the American bred labs. I trained labs for 54 years and if I were to become a breeder, I would look for breeding stock that came from a line of titled ancestors, that had the abilities to know when to turn the horse power on and when not to. It is really nice to see a retriever sit quietly on the line taking pictures of the marks being thrown and then when it is sent, to kick grass up in your face as it leaves the line. Those kinds of dogs are what our breeders should be breeding for, not the crazy barking, ass scooting hypochondriacs that require either professional trainers or harsh punishment for them to become successful. I have trained them all, with success, but I will take the ones I described above over all the rest. An old saying goes like this, if you start out a head of the game you will probably end up being a head of the game. Choose your prospect well and make it easier on yourself as a trainer and easier on the dog too as it is a better candidate for what you want it to do.

Good to know. Most Americans, when mentioning a "British" Lab are NOT talking about importing a field Lab from England. Glad to hear this OP actually meant precisely what she wrote! It is usually a marketing term, used by American breeders who are trying to attract a particular segment of the market. THIS time, it is someone who actually knows what she's asking for! I stand corrected and wish her all the best with her search.
    Carry on.
    Marcia Lucas

The True Labrador

I was replying to this comment:
    Your assumption is way off base. I spoke personally with the OP via phone on Sunday and she is absolutely not in search of an English bench Lab. The OP and her husband currently have an American FT bred Lab and need one more leg to qualify for an MH title. All Labs, there are major differences in bench style vs. field bred Labrador Retrievers, those differences are readily apparent in the general build of the animal. The OP has some options for some really fine UK bred field performance retrievers and they won't be anything like a bench bred Labrador.
    Good to know. Most Americans, when mentioning a "British" Lab are NOT talking about importing a field Lab from England. Glad to hear this OP actually meant precisely what she wrote! It is usually a marketing term, used by American breeders who are trying to attract a particular segment of the market. THIS time, it is someone who actually knows what she's asking for! I stand corrected and wish her all the best with her search.
    Carry on.
    Marcia Lucas

The True Labrador