RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Double TT British kennel and Royalty kennels labs - off switch

11K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  maisiewild 
#1 ·
Looking at getting on the waitlist for a pup and since I’m out of state, I won’t get to see the dogs in person. Seems like they get great reviews. I’m curios from people with knowledge of how their dogs are when they aren’t hunting as my primary day to day will be an in-house family dog.

I love to hunt and train and will do so but my wife will kill me if we have another pistol lab that acts likes it’s on fire all the time. She was a great hunting and sweet as could be but just too much energy day to day.

I feel confident from what I’ve read their dogs will suit my needs well in the field but wanted to hear about when they are not hunting in day to day life. Any experience?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

They all have off switches.
Can’t speak to the breeder you’ve chosen.

#3 ·
View attachment 80226
They all have off switches.
Can’t speak to the breeder you’ve chosen.
Totally agree!

Leave a puppy to it's own devices with little to no puppy "training" (socialization, house manners, etc) you will never find the proverbial "off" switch that so many insist a puppy have when looking to breeders and litters.

#5 ·
My son has a dog from TT Kennels. I kept it when he went on vacation when the pup was about 4 months old. It was so calm in the house I took it to my vet to get it checked out. I've never seen a puppy that mellow, especially in a new environment.

4 yrs later, the dog has matured into a fantastic gundog. It's my only experience w/ a TT dog but it's been an excellent choice.

#9 ·
I know this is old now, but I saw comments about Double TT and needed to chime in. I believe Double TT used to be an amazing gundog operation. Then it was sold by Haynes Floyd to Cory Dudican, and I can no longer say the same. I have read elsewhere about the negative changes, but news seems to be slow spreading. I bought a 5 month old "started" lab from Cory at Double TT earlier this year. She came and had NOTHING. Now I understand at 5 months you can't expect much, but she was not potty trained at all (Cory said she was completely potty trained), she didn't know really a single command, and she was not crate trained (Cory said she was). Some of these things we can expect to be regressions from being in a new place. However, she did not even remotely respond to the name that Cory said he gave her. All pretty concerning, but we started from scratch and she's great obedience-wise. She's now 15 months old and has some seriously concerning behaviors. She is aggressive towards men at night sometimes. She lunged at my dad once completely randomly at night. I immediately reached out to Cory, and he did not give me a second of his day beyond a short, very indifferent text. If I sold a very expensive dog that was showing aggression issues, I would be showing at least minimal care. I get it, he's busy, but this was insane. I believe she's had almost no socialization before coming to me. This could be part of the issue. Cory also told me she was his daughter's dog and she would be upset he was selling her. His daughter is 3, and from the day I got her she is TERRIFIED of children. So either he lied and she's had no socialization to children, or his daughter was a terror to her. The breeder she came from is excellent. She was not bred by Double TT, she was sold to them to be a new breeding female. I would totally recommend my dog's original breeder because he's been a great resource and has provided support since day one even though I did not buy my dog through him. He has said he would not sell to Double TT again. I'm posting this mostly as a warning for others looking, and I hope it shows up on Google for someone thinking of buying a dog from Cory at Double TT. Save yourself the trouble and go to SOK or Wildrose. My breeder is smaller and I don't want to directly name him, but would provide the name for anyone interested.

#11 ·
Looking at getting on the waitlist for a pup and since I’m out of state, I won’t get to see the dogs in person. Seems like they get great reviews. I’m curios from people with knowledge of how their dogs are when they aren’t hunting as my primary day to day will be an in-house family dog.

I love to hunt and train and will do so but my wife will kill me if we have another pistol lab that acts likes it’s on fire all the time. She was a great hunting and sweet as could be but just too much energy day to day.

I feel confident from what I’ve read their dogs will suit my needs well in the field but wanted to hear about when they are not hunting in day to day life. Any experience?

Thank you.
PM sent. I have direct experience with TT and SOK, among others. I'll let you know what my experience has been.

#12 ·
Buying a started pup from an operation that breeds 6 or more litters a year, on top of working a regular training program of hunt test dogs? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are only a few people I know that do a really good job of raising started pups who also are pro trainers with a string of gun dogs and hunt test dogs to work daily, and also raise litters. VERY few of these dogs will be house trained. Most will be in a kennel - either outside or inside - and some will be crate trained - which by some people's definition, is spending a few hours in the crate. Or just learning how to go into a crate on command.

unless things have changed on RTF's messaging platform, there may be issue with PM's..... I think a minimum number of posts may need to be met to either see or send messages.

#17 ·
Just to close the loop as the original poster, I ended up getting a pup from Southern Oak. I initially was going with Double TT and had a deposit down but a few of the litters just didn't work out (not enough puppies, no females). I've been very pleased with my SOK pup, she's now 2+ and doing extremely well. Perfect size for me around 55 pounds, great in the boat and has been a pleasure to train. She's also been incredible around the house and very calm as i had hoped. Perfect dog for my needs as a family and hunting dog. Very steady, quiet and can run hard fast blinds. Not sure what else i would want out of a hunting/family dog. I will certainly consider SOK for my next pup.

#20 ·
#23 ·
These kind of threads make a dog person scratch their head.

A person can write a 10 page essay on what isn't done or, accomplished on the dog BUT, when they buy the started year old dog they are amazingly shocked that they didn't evaluate or recognize the weakness of the product that was just purchased.

I'd be willing to bet it mainly happens with English and Pointing labs. Probably a random silver too

#24 ·
These kind of threads make a dog person scratch their head.

A person can write a 10 page essay on what isn't done or, accomplished on the dog BUT, when they buy the started year old dog they are amazingly shocked that they didn't evaluate or recognize the weakness of the product that was just purchased.

I'd be willing to bet it mainly happens with English and Pointing labs. Probably a random silver too
Many people do not go to the breeder in person, especially breeders far in the Midwest and buyers on the east coast. We use platforms such as this and referrals from other dog owners and hunters to find the best breeders. That’s why having these conversations is important. On paper and according to MANY people and forums, Double TT is a great organization. Hence why I purchased a 5 month old lab from them.

And no, these aren’t “English or pointing labs” and definitely are not silver lab mutts. These are highly esteemed field line labs with imported parents and amazing pedigrees.
It’s not wrong to trust a highly regarded breeder to sell you a 5 month old lab. If you have any idea what you’re doing at all, it’s hard to mess up a lab by this point. That’s the point of this post- to point out what a fraud the man behind Double TT is and to alert other buyers.
Scratch your head all you want, we’re hoping to dissuade others from going that route

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.