Gunners Guild
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunners Guild

Default Gunners Guild

I think it may be time for them to bring in some new, young blood (under the age of say 60) and retire some of the relics (god bless them for their years of service).

Also, maybe it is time to reduce their influence at the National events.

After all, it is suppose to be about the dogs, right?
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    I think it may be time for them to bring in some new, young blood (under the age of say 60) and retire some of the relics (god bless them for their years of service).

I belonged to a Retriever Club that did just that. 5 years later they were settling for
    whoever they could find in the gallery.

I am not a gunner but when throwing at Nationals I've seen some pretty amazing
    shooting from some that are no longer with us, up close & personal.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

The world is a dangerous place to live. Not because of those who are evil, but because of those who
    choose to do nothing about that! Einstein

And how many Nationals have you:

Attended?
    Worked?
    Run?

The Gunners - some of whom do compete with dogs - make a tremendous sacrifice of time and money. They take a week, sometimes two weeks off to gun. They pay for their travel, lodging, and meals. They are there for setup week. During the week of competition, they are there from sun up to sun down.

As for influence, there are many different groups have a say in what happens at a National. I don't think that the Gunners have any more influence than any of those other groups.

I have found - both at a weekend trial and at a National - you ignore the comments of experienced Gunners at your own peril. I have participated in Nationals where the Judges ignored the Gunners' suggestions and paid the price. In the 3/4 series of the 2013, National, the Gunners made a request - which we thought made sense. We adopted it, and things went without a hitch.

In short, I disagree entirely with your inference

Ted

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

You haven't even divulged your real name, and yet you think you can dictate how things should be run and judge expertise by age, of the volunteers they pay their own way to gun to give back. Do you even run or is this just an armchair management?
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I threw for 4 series last year in Paducah and had a great time talking with the gunners that shot the fliers I threw. It was clear that they were a dedicated group that all had sacrificed a great deal to be there for the entire event. I appreciate their effort and hope that one day I too will be able to spend that much time in set up and helping at a national.
    "Proud Member of Black Labs Matter Movement"

While "new blood" is always encouraged and needed the sacrifices inherent to the position are what restrict many younger folks from doing it. There are few less than 45 year olds who can take 7-14 days off work and travel across the country to shoot for the pleasure of others. I've had the privilege to gun with a very experienced Guild member who is also a 8 pt AA judge and former National judge.

The work is thankless, the days are long, and new blood is always needed, but not at the expense of the experienced.
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

How many nationals one attends or has run or worked is completely irrelevant to good shooting. LOL That's a good one, absolutely love it.

I know what good wing shooting looks like. What I saw last Saturday, with pretty much zero wind to deal with, was a travesty. 38 Roosters for 18 running dogs and they couldn't finish the test.
    When you can no longer catch up to a Rooster or Hen Pheasant it's time to remove yourself. No one will fault a person for admitting the time has come. Put the gun down and walk away with your pride intact. It is suppose to be about the dogs, correct?
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

How many nationals one attends or has run or worked is completely irrelevant to good shooting. LOL That's a good one, absolutely love it.

I know what good wing shooting looks like. What I saw last Saturday, with pretty much zero wind to deal with, was a travesty. 38 Roosters for 18 running dogs and they couldn't finish the test.
    When you can no longer catch up to a Rooster or Hen Pheasant it's time to remove yourself. No one will fault a person for admitting the time has come. Put the gun down and walk away with your pride intact. It is suppose to be about the dogs, correct?

I find it curious that frequently those who are most outspoken elect to remain anonymous. If you have not attended, worked or judged a National you have no factu basis for rendering opinions as to skill, competence or anything else. I am through with you. "Ignore" button to the rescue.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I guess with that response I hit the nail on the head.

Ignore to the rescue for sure.
    ROCK CHALK

I have never witnessed the shooting at a National. I have never worked a National.. I DO have really cool dreams of running a dog at a national.. I HAVE shot my fair share of flyers.. I have gunned at a few HT's..

I think many people who I have been around, only key in on their ability to kill the bird.. Most kill it way to quickly trying to prove they are a great wing shooter..

A flyer is supposed to fly,, NOT look to the dog, as a dead bird station... Its one thing to kill the bird quick, its quite another to ride it, and kill it so the bird has a chance to put on a production.... I think Judges like that, along with a few extra shots!..

The rooster cackles as it's panicking to leave Dodge,, The Posey is fillin the air with lead! The culprit is luckly dispatched at the last possible minute..

Once in awhile,,Tom Horn shows up,,and can do all the above with one very amazing shot... Those types are few and far between..

We ALL think we are great shots,, until we are around the best..

JMHO,,, Probably shoulda kept my mouth shut,, but I cant help myself..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"