Gunners Guild - Page 8
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gunners Guild

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    We all do things better as we age. Few of those require our best eyesight and athletic coordination.

Fight all you want, father time is undefeated. Don't worry, no one will ask your wife or pharmacist to compare 20 steve to 63 steve.

Now if you would have said father time instead of God in the first place I would not have even responded. As for the wife I got rid of her but I'll keep the pharmacist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

rose, in the never-heard (by the Gunners Guild) parlance, hold your fire! And tell Mac Jones to keep on flingin'!

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Fisher View Post
    I remember a big Facebook kerfuffle after the NARC last year on no-birds. It seems people are the most adamant about things they weren't there to see for themselves.

I would imagine that the dogs have gotten so good that these technical tests are required to separate a National Champion from the finalists. The precise placement of birds is required to get the desired effects of suction, memory, marking ability etc. If a bird doesn't fall in such a manner that it creates the desired effect, it may make the test that much harder for a dog. Or unfairly easy for a dog creating a disparity in what the other dogs were shown. A lot to consider for judges for sure.

Having to ride a flyer that long has to be stomach turning for shooters out there in a national. Usually a no-bird in a HT or weekend trial means the shooters whiffed or just tipped the bird. Big difference between that and not dropping a bird in a hula hoop at 50 yards.
    You don't need to be there to read "no-bird". Regardless of if it is due to poor setup by the judges, poor throw by the thrower, or poor shots by the gunner, a no bird is a no bird.
    Last edited by Nick Toti; 12-03-2019 at 08:16 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S. View Post
    Is Reginald the Whistleblower?
    Certainly, if it means getting people to give honest, open reflection for positive change, then most definitely. And if that means ruffling the feathers of a few people then so be it. The National events are suppose to be our premier events, as stewards of the game it is up to ALL of us to do what is in the best interest of the event/game to make it so. You will never have positive change without having discussions of the negatives.

For those few people that are wondering, not that it is all that important IMO, I have worked the 2 National events that have been in my area, I do own 2 National finalists both of which are Field Champions. Also I have volunteered at a US Open on 2 occasions as well as a PGA Championship. Volunteering, when possible, is something that we should all do to give back.
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Certainly, if it means getting people to give honest, open reflection for positive change, then most definitely. And if that means ruffling the feathers of a few people then so be it. The National events are suppose to be our premier events, as stewards of the game it is up to ALL of us to do what is in the best interest of the event/game to make it so. You will never have positive change without having discussions of the negatives.

For those few people that are wondering, not that it is all that important IMO, I have worked the 2 National events that have been in my area, I do own 2 National finalists both of which are Field Champions. Also I have volunteered at a US Open on 2 occasions as well as a PGA Championship. Volunteering, when possible, is something that we should all do to give back.
    Thank you for your efforts volunteering. Without volunteers that give gladly and freely of their time and resources, most dog games would not exist.

When we discuss negative aspects of the sport, we must be very careful not to vilify and castigate the volunteers. The burnout rate in volunteers is very high and no one wants to be the scapegoat.

Good luck in your endeavors and I will resume duck hunting!
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    God may have a future plan for you that you are not aware of!
    God has had plans my whole life that I wasn't aware of till i got hit in the mouth. Amazing how things fall into place sometimes. I think the odds of them being random are mathematically impossible. I'm pretty sure He doesn't want to mess with my shotgun skills. But one never knows. Yet though He slay me still will I trust Him.
    Docheno's Recon Warrior "Gunny"
    Bad Motor Scooter SH "Scooter"

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S. View Post
    Is Reginald the Whistleblower?

That's all good and fine. How many birds do you shoot a year at trials? That's the only real stat that matters.
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.

You either actually are a gunner or, you are an occasional shooter.... I was chairing a national breed trial once. I had limited help. I had 2 stakes running. I asked a gunners guild member if he could help me shoot to finish a stake. He said no, it was raining. I went and threw and shot by myself for the last series. It was my fault. I didnt arrange enough help for the specialty trial. I'm not complaining however, I have never once told anyone at a trial I could not help
    🙂. Memory like an elephant I have....
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.

Wish I knew that you needed help I would have volunteered. You put on a great National breed trial. Thank you for stepping up then.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)