A Dog and His Owner - Story from the news
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: A Dog and His Owner - Story from the news

Default A Dog and His Owner - Story from the news

A local TV weatherman in Dallas (Pete Delkus) is a big bird dog guy/quail hunter. His hunting companion of 14 years passed away and he wrote this today and I thought I would share. I liked it.

George Bird Evans said, “The perfection of a life with a gundog, like the perfection of an autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end.”

Unfortunately, my time with my best friend and companion, ended yesterday.Chief was a once in a lifetime dog and while I was lucky to be his owner, it makes the pain of losing him that much greater.

14 years ago, I got the call from one of the best Brittany breeders in the country to arrange the pick-up of my puppy. I was prepared and ready to begin training and teaching him to develop into a Texas quail dog that would live up to his pedigree. But as the years went on, through our days in the field, it was Chief that actually taught me, not only about hunting, but about life.

Patience is one of those lessons he taught me. Those that know me, say I’m a Type A personality, who runs at a fast pace with high expectations. And while that can make you successful in a lot of areas, training a dog is not one of them. Chief had a very calm and stoic demeanor and was extremely biddable, always wanting to please. So, I learned that I had to take a breath, slow down and be patient.The more patient I was, the better he performed and the happier I became.

He also taught me to appreciate the moment and especially, the simple things. Chief hunted with a regal stride and elegant point. I soon learned that it was more about enjoying the time together, watching him work, rather than the number of birds in the bag. I grew to take the time to breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the beautiful scenery and listen to the peaceful sounds of nature. And as Chief grew older, I recognized my days with him were numbered, which caused me to appreciate our past and truly cherish our remaining days together.

Simply put, Chief was the best pet, loyal companion and hunting dog, a guy could ever hope for. And as I reflect on his memory, my mind turns to a quote from Dean Koontz:

“Dogs’lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you’re going to lose a dog, and there’s going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with him. You can’t support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There’s such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always being aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the mistakes we make in life.”

RIP Chief; I have no doubt you’re pointing a big covey of quail in heaven for Dad.

Pete Delkus - WFAA News
    Last edited by birddogn_tc; 12-19-2019 at 04:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

What a great story..

Retirement, and a special dog, has made me appreciate a Lot of stuff that previously went unnoticed..

For those of you with a dog laying at your feet, open your eyes, and appreciate your good fortune..

Thanks for posting this..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

All so true. Between this and Ted's Christmas Story, my morning so far consists of tears in my eyes.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com