The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Houses

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post

Little pricey but kinda nice
    Yeah, those are the ones I asked about. I didn't realize, however, that there is what's called a Dog Den + available from K9 Kondo. The Dog Den 1, 2 and 3 have been discontinued, but the Dog Den + looks good and is the least expensive of the ones I've considered. There's another called the Elite K9 dog house that looks good, but it's not described in detail. Moreover, it costs $700 and since it's 95% pre-assembled and, therefore, bulky, it sounds like shipping would be a couple of hundred. http://www.elitek9.com/The-Elite-K-9...uctinfo/KC100/ That's means I'd have about $14,000 wrapped up dog houses. The Dog Den+ is $320, which is maybe only twice what it costs me to make them myself. I've already contacted them and I can get a quantity discount and they'll make me a metal sign for my kennel at no charge. I think that's the way to go.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I also have had great experience with the K9 condo. I have a Dog Den3 for about 25 years and it kept 2-3 dogs very warm in the coldest of winters. Replaced the floor about 5 years ago, and purchased a second one and both are doing well. I am sad they quit making them but the single dog unit looks very nice. I also have 4 of the barrel houses with their dog door and legs. Have held up well, right now all 3 dogs each sleep in separate houses, but when it gets real cold they will go together and stay very warm.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Thanks for all the input. Although I like my own dog house design, I'm tired of repairing them. The owner of K-9 Kondo was very responsive to my questions about the Dog Den + and replied quickly. Today, I sent him a check for 14 of them. Thank goodness that I've got a pneumatic pop rivet gun.
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Although I like my own dog house design, I'm tired of repairing them. The owner of K-9 Kondo was very responsive to my questions about the Dog Den + and replied quickly. Today, I sent him a check for 14 of them. Thank goodness that I've got a pneumatic pop rivet gun.

I haven't seen the new design up close and personal but like the change in theory. Let us know what you think when you get them. I trust K9 Kondo to not put out a crappy product. I have been more than happy with all my Dog Dens as well as the barrel kits and their customer service is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I haven't seen the new design up close and personal but like the change in theory. Let us know what you think when you get them. I trust K9 Kondo to not put out a crappy product. I have been more than happy with all my Dog Dens as well as the barrel kits and their customer service is great.
    The only significant concern that I had with the new design was whether the front panel/floor combination could be slid out with a dog in it in the event of an emergency. They tested it for me to make sure it wasn't an issue.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Don
    I’ve had dog den ll and they were great. I didn’t have the swinging doors, but you would probably want them up there.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    The only significant concern that I had with the new design was whether the front panel/floor combination could be slid out with a dog in it in the event of an emergency. They tested it for me to make sure it wasn't an issue.
    Good thinking. In the previous model (I have 2) the tops are removable, which was reassuring when my old girl went in there as I knew that I could take the top off to lift her out if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee P. View Post
    Good thinking. In the previous model (I have 2) the tops are removable, which was reassuring when my old girl went in there as I knew that I could take the top off to lift her out if need be.
    That's why I thought of it. In 50 years, I've had two pass in their sleep inside their houses. Last summer, I went to the kennels to feed and a client dog didn't come out of her dog house - highly unusual. I lifted the lid and she was having a seizure. I lifted her out and she started to snap out of it - even tried to eat. I carried her into our training building (by then she was standing and trying to walk) and called my wife to come down and help. Also called our vet and, of course, the owner. Owner said she'd had a seizure once before - same symptoms. She was back to normal in 20 minutes. That's the only incident she had during 6 months here. I suspect EIC - sire and dam don't have clearances. But that's why I had to know that the unit could be slid out with the weight of a dog on it. I was impressed that rather than just saying "sure, it can be slid out", Joe Shown, K-9 Kondo's owner, tested with his very large Lab (I've seen the dog in his videos). Thus far, I've very impressed. Just not looking forward to assembling 14 of them.

www.meglynretrievers.com

My 14 new K-9 Kondo Don Den + dog houses were delivered yesterday. Exciting, but, quite honestly, when I saw the 14 cartons sitting there containing the dog houses waiting to be assembled, it kind of made me shrivel up like a spider on a griddle. Thank goodness my best friend and his youngest son have volunteered to help.

www.meglynretrievers.com