Del-Tone Kennels Historical Info
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Del-Tone Kennels Historical Info

Default Del-Tone Kennels Historical Info

I visited a patient of a nursing home on Christmas Eve and while we talked he told me he used to work at Del-Tone back in the day. He was familiar with Cork and Colvin. He is a great guy and I’d like to pull together some historical info on what happened with Del-Tone from the early 60’s on and see if I could tie those bloodlines to lines competing today.

My web searches haven’t yielded much yet. Anybody have any info to share or direct me toward somebody that would be an expert?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Do an advanced search above for “Del-Tone” and you will find lots of info. Here’s one thread on Colvin
    https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...light=Del-Tone

Another one
    https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...light=Del-Tone
    Last edited by Gary M; 12-31-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Roy McFall's dog Hiwood Stormy was by Colvin.That ties in with a lot of today's dogs.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Roy McFall's dog Hiwood Stormy was by Colvin.That ties in with a lot of today's dogs.
    the story on that was that Roy wanted to breed Roxanne of Muldoon to Cork of Oakwood, but. he became unavailable and Toney Berger suggested Del Tone Colvin who had not won the National at the time the two were bred. Of course Del Tone Colvin went on to have a RHOF career and was the beginning cornerstone of the early Hiwood line of dogs
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Black and Yellow,

I have attached a link to a page on the Central Minnesota Retriever Club home page www.cmrcmn.org. The Central Minnesota Retriever Club is located only several miles from the Del-Tone Kennels and is certainly one of the oldest, continuously operating retriever clubs in the nation and a club that I am very proud to be a member of!! The article is the history of the club and notes the Bergers along with many of the other founding fathers of Retrievers as we know them today and the various games we play with our dogs. I thought it may be possible some of the names, events and information in the article may also be known to your acquaintance.

https://cmrcmn.org/wp-content/upload...ub-History.pdf

Another source regarding Del-Tone Kennels is Steve Yozamp of Outback Retrievers. I believe Steve worked there as a bird boy and assistant trainer from in his early teens.

The name Del-Tone comes from the names of Antone Berger and his wife Adel...Del-Tone.

Del-tone still operates today, but only as a gun club. It is now called Luth Del-Tone Gun Club and the owner owned DPMS, an AR style rifle manufacturer. The old kennels and building are still there as well as some of the original training grounds and water features.

Quote Originally Posted by HoHum's Retrievers View Post
    Another source regarding Del-Tone Kennels is Steve Yozamp of Outback Retrievers. I believe Steve worked there as a bird boy and assistant trainer from in his early teens.

The name Del-Tone comes from the names of Antone Berger and his wife Adel...Del-Tone.

Del-tone still operates today, but only as a gun club. It is now called Luth Del-Tone Gun Club and the owner owned DPMS, an AR style rifle manufacturer. The old kennels and building are still there as well as some of the original training grounds and water features.
    Does your club ever use the property for trial purposes?
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

The Central Minnesota Retriever Club does not use Del-Tone property for any events. Although it is only a few miles away as the crow flies, the grounds are no longer kept in condition for trial purposes and the gun range at times is extremely busy with trap shooting, skeet, 5 stand, multi-gun competitions and recreational shooting. Much better to keep our events on our own 120 acres which are groomed, designed and manicured for today's retriever training and events. To be honest, I am not sure what shape the grounds are in or were ever in. It's been over 20 years since I've seen any kind of retriever or gun dog activity on that property, and perhaps some of the property has been sold.