The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pretty displeased

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the kind note. I don't believe that dogs have the kind of existential dread of death that humans have. I know that all animals have a survival instinct, but that's not the same thing, so I see no sign of real awareness of the situation in the dog. He still relishes his food and still wants to play, but back in Oct when we had our first cool snap, he was doing 20-25 backyard retrieves (about 25-30yds ea direction) every evening, and sometimes doing it again an hour or so later. Now he is only wanting to do one or two at a time, but still wants to go again after a bit of rest. He is just short of 10, and I figured I'd have at least two or maybe even three more seasons to hunt and then have a year or two for him to just loll around. We are going to miss him terribly.

Hugh
    Hugh,
    I am sure you will in fact miss him terribly, but that you will take comfort in knowing he is out of his pain when he passes. I think your search for a new pup is a good strategy in aiding you in filling the void we all fear in losing our beloved K9 companions. Surely each of them is unique and irreplaceable in our hearts and minds.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
    Last edited by Irishwhistler; 01-06-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

HPL,
    All the best on this journey.
    Do your best for all involved.
    Never look back.

There is a pup out there that will find you!
    I am sure of it!
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

My friend's 11yr old lab received the same diagnosis nearly 3 months ago. One month to live if you do nothing. His lymph nodes were huge. Six months ago he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His being treated for both and still has a very good quality of life. The congestive heart failure complicates the chemo treatment because he can't have the best drug in the normal chemo protocol (Doxorubicin) due to the heart condition. After initially starting with a modified protocol he was moved to a newer single drug called Tanovea. I have been to many of the vet appointments to try and learn more as I've never gone through this, but after being around this dog being treated for both conditions I think she is making the right decision to treat him. The oncologist said they have a good success rate of getting dogs in remission treating lymphoma and on average they live about a year if they achieve remission. I watched him do 10 - 15 hunt test distance marks the other day. He tags along with me when I go to train my dog and does field trial distance singles. Side effects from the chemo have been pretty minimal. He is still excited to go and retrieve and can still jump in the back of my truck. Hopefully he makes it a year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Howdy Ken,
    I'm in the coastal bend region of Texas....... I am initially looking for appropriate litters within about a 4.5-5hr drive from Kingsville, Tx. ........

Hugh
    So,
    A male yellow lab 375 miles or closer to Kingsville. Seams easy😏 C'mon RTF, this is what we do! Yes if someone else picked you could end up with a dead grass Chesapeake 😎. And yes I am still a tree hugger.

Ken

I will 2nd Dr Ed. Ms Carol breeds some mighty fine litters FCs AFCs National Finalists. and she is just outside of Houston. Lady knows her business

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whitetail View Post
    I will 2nd Dr Ed. Ms Carol breeds some mighty fine litters FCs AFCs National Finalists. and she is just outside of Houston. Lady knows her business
    Thanks,

Depending which direction out of Houston, she might be in driving distance.

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Golden?
    His dog is a Labrador and he is looking for a Labrador as a replacement for him.

Hugh, Im Sorry for our dogs sickness. They never last long enough
    Great to hear that you and he had an enjoyable time chasing doves. It warmed my heart to hear you describe his acting as a 2 yr old again.
    Check the want ads for puppies on here, FB, EE Hunting lab etc and Im sure you will have plenty of good Texas options as there are many good avid Lab folks in South Tx
    Good Luck and Enjoy your last few days with him

Howdy Tiger,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I know that EE is entry express, but I just can't figure out FB. We are playing every evening as much as he wants, and he is getting the better scraps with his dinner every night these days. May have one or two more opportunities to chase a few dove depending on how he feels. We're going to make the best of the time left.

Hugh
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Thanks,

Depending which direction out of Houston, she might be in driving distance.

HPL
    Anderson is about 10 miles NE of Navasota

Hugh, PM sent.

Thanks will be in touch soon.

HPL
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)