Vet Question, Transient Neurological Symptom - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet Question, Transient Neurological Symptom

I have always been curious about hypoglycemic dogs..

I am Diabetic.. I experience hypoglycemia often.. It will cause symptoms just like what that dog is showing.

I have a glucometer.. It is a device that will read a very small drop of blood (Finger stick with a needle),and tell me my blood sugar level. It takes 5 seconds...

The prick with a needle is absolutely painless..

I have always wondered if Dogs blood can be read through something like this.?

It would immediately tell you the next time the dog is symptomatic. You would only have to prick his skin,and get a small drop of blood.. and put it on a test strip, insert in reader..

I have also been told,,, that ingestion of engine antifreeze can cause glycemic level to be low..

I hope your dog gets better.... It really sucks when they are sick.. Good thoughts sent your way..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-02-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This will help to illustrate just how complex diagnosis of episodic weakness can be.

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/...252759&print=1

Quote Originally Posted by P J View Post
    Six month old BLM, sleeps in a plastic crate in a quiet, otherwise unoccupied bedroom. My husband, Steve gets up around 3-3:30 this morning, hears pup being restless in his crate(not unusual for pup to dig at plastic if he needs out). Steve lets him out and heads to the back door, pup collapsed on the kitchen floor, gets back up and proceeds to back door. Collapses again on patio promptly gets back up and goes to the grass to void. Falls down while voiding, gets back up and voids more.

I'm up by this time, back to patio where he completely collapses one more time and then starts dipping down in the front periodically, this is actually happening every about 5-10 seconds. He goes to the water bowl and starts drinking while drinking he is dropping down in the front every 5-10 seconds, head and neck splashing in the bowl. After this he lays down and we watch him periodically dipping his head. This dipping down in the front goes on for about an hour and then resolves itself.

He did not have a fever(temp 101.4), gums were pink with good capillary refill, pupils were normal and reactive to light, pulse 90. He is acting entirely normal now, with no signs that this incident ever happened. He has had a normal BM and voiding normally. Running around like a 6 month old pup should.

https://huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=134206 A link to the pedigree of his litter mate. Should not be an EIC or CNM issue.

Thanks for any ideas. I may take him to our vet this morning, but without him showing any symptoms it would be difficult to diagnose.
    One other thing you might consider is if he has had vaccinations recently? I've had one dog that had seizure type reactions to a rabies vaccine. Took about a month for periodic seizures to stop but she never was given another rabies vaccine after that and no further seizures the rest of her life. Just something else to consider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

any meds given recently? Trifexis/ flea meds,etc....?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    any meds given recently? Trifexis/ flea meds,etc....?
    That was also my thought. Also had a 6 mo old puppy with uncontrollable seizure after using Simparica. Unfortunately she had to be put down. Let's hope your puppy's condition is something easily treatable or avoidable.

No vaccines or meds given prior to this episode. Last heart worm and flea treatment were the month before. I usually give them on the 1st, but had forgotten the night before.

Steve said he really needed to void and remembers he bolted out of his crate, in a hurry to get to the back door. He has been trained to sit and wait to be released both from the crate and at the door. Says he voided a large amount.

Steve and I did get some video on our phones after I got up. Just some of him dipping down in the front into the water bowl and then some more of his head bobbing downward when he laid down after that. Everything seen by either one of us ended within an hour from the time Steve got him out of his crate.

Steve and I have talked at length about this. We both feel at this point it is best for us to just wait and watch him. From the article Dr. Ed posted we could end up spending a lot of money and never have a solid diagnosis.
    Paula

HRCH Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Any possibility he had access to xylitol? (Peanut butter, toothpaste, chewing gum often contain it)
    After a dog digests a food containing xylitol, it could take anywhere from ten to sixty minutes before the poison affects a dog.
    Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in an animal include vomiting, weakness, difficulty walking, depression or lethargy, tremors, seizure, and a coma.

Read More: Warning - New Peanut Butter Could Kill Your Dog | https://wobm.com/warning-new-peanut-...edium=referral
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Any possibility he had access to xylitol? (Peanut butter, toothpaste, chewing gum often contain it)
    After a dog digests a food containing xylitol, it could take anywhere from ten to sixty minutes before the poison affects a dog.
    Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in an animal include vomiting, weakness, difficulty walking, depression or lethargy, tremors, seizure, and a coma.

Read More: Warning - New Peanut Butter Could Kill Your Dog | https://wobm.com/warning-new-peanut-...edium=referral
    No, we live on 20 acres surrounded by farm land and woods, so very little chance of accidental ingestion of someone's discarded gum and nothing containing xylitol is a possibility. Sounds like xylitol would have caused worse symptoms than we saw. He was in his crate for at least 5 hours prior to this incident.
    Paula

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Update: Another episode occurred, woke Steve up at 12:30 am on 1/7. Same symptoms, almost like his body is being pulled to the ground. He is alert and responds to his name when this is occurring. The incident lasted about an hour and he gradually returns to normal.

I took him to our vet yesterday, it is definitely a neurological issue. I have noticed for at least 3 months that his back legs looked odd when he walked, just thought it was maybe a hip issue and we'd find out when he turned 2.

I showed her the video I had and she did a brief neuro exam, thought it might be a disc issue or possibly even an extra vertebrae, that he definetly had an issue with his back legs. I left him there to be sedated and X-rayed later in the day, plan was to do spine and hips. They have a mobile X-ray and it was out with the equine vet.

I received a call from her around 5 pm, she had walked him out to the mobile unit for the X-rays and noticed more problems with his gait. Told me he is lifting his front feet too high as well as the problems with his back legs (like he doesn't know where he is putting his right back leg down at). She said this was indicative of possible Cerebellar issues. She is going to send copies of the video I took and send them to the canine Neurologist at Auburn. She is going to call me after she talks to them and determine what additional tests are needed. I have a feeling they are going to want a C-T Scan.
    Paula