FF Question - Walking Hold
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: FF Question - Walking Hold

Default FF Question - Walking Hold

I am in the process of FF with my dog. He just turned 1 y/o and Ive been following SmartFetch. We’ve been working in HOLD and he’s done well and its solid - so long as we’re not moving. As soon as we start to walk he drops it. Its like chewing bumble gum and walking at the same time. Any suggestions for getting him to Hold while walking? We haven’t started with any part of Fetch yet, I just wanted to get walking hold consistent before moving to ear pinch and fetch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Have the pup hold and on a leash.

Start just one step at a time.

"Here" use your hand to keep bumper in mouth and then "sit".

Just ease into it one step at a time showing the pup what you want.

You should be able to have the pup move with you as you enforce hold with your hand.

Gradually remove your hand.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by caglatz View Post
    I am in the process of FF with my dog. He just turned 1 y/o and Ive been following SmartFetch. We’ve been working in HOLD and he’s done well and its solid - so long as we’re not moving. As soon as we start to walk he drops it. Its like chewing bumble gum and walking at the same time. Any suggestions for getting him to Hold while walking? We haven’t started with any part of Fetch yet, I just wanted to get walking hold consistent before moving to ear pinch and fetch.
    I've force fetched a few hundred. What you're describing is very, very common. Just keep at working on hold. Try having the dog sit with the object (since you're using SmartFetch, I assume it's a paint roller), step to the end of a 6' lead, and call the dog to you. Hopefully, he'll hold all the way. If not, shorten it up. Shouldn't take long to get there. Once you get that, start heeling him with it. Be particularly careful when you come to a stop. That's often when they want to drop it. If that's an issue, as you come to a stop, put your hand below his chin to prevent dropping. I call the step where they can heel consistently while holding the bumper "proofing". Once they're proofed with the paint roller, I switch to a hardwood schutzhund dumbbell and start with the same process and proof that. Then, I switch to a bumper. I prefer an AirFlow bumper. They're easier to hold. If the dog has a really wet mouth, I may use a canvas bumper before switching to a AirFlow. Then once that's proofed, we go through the remaining force fetch process.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by caglatz View Post

Your kinda putting the cart before the horse. I like to get hold down good too before moving to fetch and ear pinch but as long as they are holding well at a stationary position I move on to fetch and ear pinch. Then you will have a better tool to use when or if he drops in motion. If you go to fetch and ear pinch and have him fetching off the ground with the pinch he will better understand not to drop in motion. I want them to understand hold but not be perfect. Once dog understands hold I actually want them to drop it and that is when I first introduce the pinch. It is much easier to teach them not to drop while you are sitting there holding the collar than when up and moving. Also like this the timing of the correction for dropping is immediate with no other distractions. If your up and walking the timing is slow and you moving towards the dog for the bumper the dog has more time to think and be distracted by your movements. Timing is important and I think this is the time and place to just do and not think.
    It's called force fetch for a reason. At some point, and to me you are at that point, you need to quit asking him to do something and let him know that there are no options. If you drag out hold too much all you are doing is nagging the dog. All depends on the dog but from your description I think it would be time to wake him up and show him how this works.