Dog Quotes
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Quotes

Default Dog Quotes

NO, not things that dogs have said!! That would just be silly. I mean quotes about dogs. Several of you have pm'ed me concerning my big boy. Stan b (Roadkill) included a quote from Kipling (one of my favorite writers). Here it is:

"The cost of a good gun dog is a broken heart."

Several years ago, I put together a bound photo book of King for my wife's 21st 39th birthday. I had plenty of photos beginning from the day we brought him home up to that time. I spent about two weeks reading through what various folks have said about dogs (there's tons of it). Here are a few I used:

“When the Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here? And the woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog any more, but First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always." Rudyard Kipling

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, life without one is a life diminished". Dean Koontz

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person." Bill Murray

On a lighter note: "Anyone who doesn't know what soap tastes like has never bathed a dog". Franklin P. Jones. I used that one on a page where I had a photo of my wife hosing King down.

Any of you have a favorite you'd like to share?

Thanks to all who have given help and support. Gotta go throw the dummy for the big boy a couple of times.

HPL
    Last edited by HPL; 01-07-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

"Never trust a man who complains about a dog hair in his drink" Gene Hill (I think)
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho

How about: Does your dog bite? Laugh in

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Niles Bora View Post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho

Anybody that can quote Groucho it all right with me.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.

not sure who said or wrote that one, but I have always liked it.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Gene Hill is my idol;

“He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog.”
    ― Gene Hill
    “No one can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes. ”
    ― Gene Hill
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

In another discussion on this board, crackerd posted an article that I wrote in the mid 90s. I wrote that article as a submission for a contest that Wendell Carlson created. The inspiration for trying to write such an article was Gene Hill.

Here's a Gene Hill quote that I've repeated several times in the past month. A friend who lost a spouse to cancer, then a few years later lost his 14 year old retriever, just got a new puppy. The puppy came only days after the old dog was put down.

Gene Hill wrote something like this: "Whoever said money can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies."

A puppy never replaces the lost older dog. But the puppy does give us a renewed chance to enjoy another new unique relationship with a canine. And to me, Gene Hill, and many others, that's a good thing.

HPL, I'm sorry for your sick dog. It never gets easier burying them "in our hearts" as my friend Keith Stroyan says. And by the way, if your criteria included Iowa, I'd point you towards a litter Keith is expecting, which could produce a puppy ready close to your timeline.

Chris
    "Coach Sanderson said to have fun."
    - PSU 2017 NCAA champion wrestlers
    Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall and Bo Nickal

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."
    - Bill Hillmann - Decatur, IL; July 2017

"I knew exactly what to do the whole way. A lot of the handholds feel like old friends."
    - Alex Honnald - After completing the June 3, 2017 first ever Free Solo Climb of Yosemite National Park's El Capitan.

Lord please help me to be half the man my dog thinks I am