Derby thread - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I think the judges know best how each dog ran the marks. As Ken said - we don't know what 'step on the marks' really means from one person to another. If both dogs literally front footed (and lined) all the marks --- well yeah... the creeping might be an issue... BUT if one dog was downwind 3 feet and the other one was on the bird as it ran by upwind.... Or if one dog cheated water/cover and the other did not.... but both front footed the marks... then the straight line wins.
    Really?
    What part of the rulebook do you base that declaration, I highlighted in red, upon

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    What does the rule book say???
    The rule book says creeping is a minor fault....that can be elevated to a moderate fault or even escalated to a major fault based on its severity or frequency.

More germane to this conversation is that the rule book also says that there are only two opinions that matter in regards to placements awarded {or not awarded} and those two people are the Judges of the relative work of all the dogs in that particular stake

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    The rule book says creeping is a minor fault....that can be elevated to a moderate fault or even escalated to a major fault based on its severity or frequency.

More germane to this conversation is that the rule book also says that there are only two opinions that matter in regards to placements awarded {or not awarded} and those two people are the Judges of the relative work of all the dogs in that particular stake

LOL you feel some type of way about this dont you.... yikes. Its called a conversation. nobody is petitioning for placements to be changed or anything like that.
    With your reasoning there should NEVER be any discussion about how things are judged or why decisions are made. Which is what this was supposed to be...a discussion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Missouricootkillr View Post
    the dog that he didn't do a thorough enough job on traffic cop with him. Couple that with all the events and easy to see how the dog would be out of balance.
    This just makes me laugh for some reason. Not sure why. I don't think a few extra sessions of traffic cop would have overcome what the dog has learned he can get away with from running so many derbies. Not terribly uncommon with derby dogs from what I understand? And I don't care that he creeps (not my dog). But the dog has realized he can get away with creeping at a trial. And he keeps running trials. If we really take a step back and look...isn't that more of the issue and not a lack of traffic cop? I am a proponent of the Hillman puppy tapes and I even really like "traffic cop" but let's be real...

a sensible response would have read something like " yes, to me the constant creeping would have been grounds enough to warrant a moderate fault and could have dropped the dogs placement per the rule book ...even though the marks were way way better"

Instead you chose to go with " YOU WEREN'T THE JUDGE / THE JUDGES KNOW MORE THAN YOU !! / YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MATTER !!!"

that BP might be slightly elevated....

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post

Really?
    What part of the rulebook do you base that declaration, I highlighted in red, upon
    Doesn't say straight line but under Moderate Faults it does state the following:
    2. Disturbing too much cover either by not going to the area or by leaving it.
    3. Reluctance to enter rough cover, water, ice, mud or other situations involving unpleasant “going’’ for the dog
    10. Going out of the way by land to a “fall,’’ to an excessive degree to avoid going into the water on a water retrieve.

Minor Faults:
    1. Going out of its way by land, to an excessive degree, on the return from a water retrieve.

Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    ???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Most salesmen do.
    Daren Galloway

FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

teachers as well