The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great blog post by Connie Cleveland

Default Great blog post by Connie Cleveland

https://greenvillejournal.com/arts-c...bK_xZ_8AZtrrAg

This is probably one of the nicest and most applicable bit of advice I have read in a long time. Thank you Connie for sharing your thoughts on 'Joy Stealing'. As she says - everyone is probably guilty of being a 'joy stealer' at stome point in time --- or trying to be. Perhaps most important is how the 'stealee' deals with it, I think (since we can't control what others do).
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Replace the word joy with the word humanity and it kicks up the concept even more. Kids deal in joy. Adults deal in humanity. I don’t mean to be contrary. It is just a thought. I haven’t read the complete article yet. I’m sure it is good.

Excellent article! I try to always be genuinely congratulatory. Although it's been many, many years, I still vividly remember two incidents that happened to me. As many know, in HRC it's customary to throw the handler in the pond or dump a 5 gallon bucket of water on the handler's head when he finishes a Hunting Retriever Champion. When I finished my first HRCH, at a club which I belonged to, I got none of that. I wasn't a member of the clique, who were officers in the club. Finally, someone must have said something to them. They came over to my truck as I was loading up getting ready to leave and poured a bottle of water on my head. I tried to be gracious, but that was probably more of an insult to me than doing nothing. My late father was responsible for the other instance of joy stealing, but after some 40 years, it's still fresh in my mind. I had just had my first (of many) 4.0 GPA terms in law school and was really proud of that. I was home visiting and we were having lunch out back on the picnic table. I decided to break the news. Dad got up and went into the house. He came back a few minutes later with his Phi Beta Kappa key and said, "You never got one of those, did you?" I was crushed. I know Dad loved me, but I also know he suffered from a severe sense of inferiority his entire life, despite having been valedictorian at 16 graduating from a high school with over 800 students, a major in the US Army during WWII, was awarded a Bronze Star, was selected as a military governor for a region of Germany, and was so well-respected by the Germans that they enshrined his memoirs in the Ebern, Germany museum 40 years later and was a very successful mechanical engineer in charge of a large foundry in Dayton. I never told him how much he hurt me and I was at the bedside when he passed, but I still vividly remember it.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I’m not sure it is joy you feel when you achieve something. It would probably be a feeling of relief to me. It might just be positive feedback for a larger goal. Joy is being outside playing with the dog. When you congratulate someone I imagine you are sometimes admitting their status. It is not quite like that either .... but anyway. It boils down to politics, ha, ha.

That was a wonderful article. Those who have had an acquaintance with Ms Cleveland know they are indeed fortunate.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

That was posted in the RFTN a while ago. Real nice article
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

Thanks for posting this. Conny is very good at expressing herself on a subject that is well worth discussing.

Bill
    http://www.libertyretrieversmt.com

FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run (Biscuit)

AFC MOONSTONES HaM-Maid Marian (Livvy)
    MOONSTONES Grade "A" Cut of Hammy II (Twoey)
    LIBERTYS True Gritz (Gritz)
    MOONSTONES Yellow Dude Smith (Emmitt)
    Forever in my heart:
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH (Libby)
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie (HaM)
    BAM's Lakeside Cassie

What a great Article......

One very sucessful dog person said to me once.

"Its none of your business what others think of you..."

I didn't understand at the time..

Its more important, and ALL of YOUR business, to set YOUR real goals,and remain focused at getting better to accomplish them..

What do YOU see when you look in the mirror??

Mike Baker
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Just in case you didn’t know it Mr. Baker .... what you saying is quintessential Ancient Greek philosophy stoicism, or if you like the Serenity Prayer, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca or Epiketus.

I was excited to be training with her one day. She is great and so is the article. I just wanted to get that out there.