Trends in Hunt Tests and Field Trials - Retriever Results
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Trends in Hunt Tests and Field Trials - Retriever Results

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,266
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    So what are your thoughts with regards to the FT data?
    ROCK CHALK

    What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

  4. #3
    Senior Member drunkenpoacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    So what are your thoughts with regards to the FT data?
    I think the number of Goldens winning field trials will trend upward in 2020
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9,271

    Default

    I think the trend of field trial participants getting older will continue

  7. #5
    Senior Member Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,266

    Default

    The trends are interesting for sure. I think it is unfortunate to be losing amateur handlers. Also derby numbers falling is indicative of a lack of new people being drawn in to the sport. And there are o many things that can be road blocks ..... having the dog, the training ability, grounds access, good am group to train with, financial requirements etc.

    I also find it interesting the number of females running qualifying stakes has risen.. indicative of the desire to 'one up' the master titled females from a breeding (puppy selling) perspective - and I am not talking about selling pups to FT competitors, but to hunt test or even hunting homes .. How many of these QAA females go on to compete in AA stakes? Maybe the QA2 title is a stopping point for a lot of the females, not because they just can't make it as all age dogs, but because, as breeding bitches, the end game has already been achieved with the QA2 or QAA status.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

  8. #6
    Senior Member MissSkeeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Question on Am versus Open.

    In Alaska, usually amateurs participate in both..the Open on Friday, the Am on Sunday.
    So something like 22 Am dogs in Am, 22 Am dogs in Open.

    Why are there relatively few Am dogs in the Open relative to Am dogs in the Am nationally?
    for example 2019 avg Am 39 dogs, Open 18 Am dogs...

  9. #7
    Senior Member drunkenpoacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSkeeter View Post

    Why are there relatively few Am dogs in the Open relative to Am dogs in the Am nationally?
    for example 2019 avg Am 39 dogs, Open 18 Am dogs...
    Opens usually start on Friday. People can’t get off work, don’t have time, don’t feel they can compete with the pros.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSkeeter View Post
    Question on Am versus Open.

    In Alaska, usually amateurs participate in both..the Open on Friday, the Am on Sunday.
    So something like 22 Am dogs in Am, 22 Am dogs in Open.

    Why are there relatively few Am dogs in the Open relative to Am dogs in the Am nationally?
    for example 2019 avg Am 39 dogs, Open 18 Am dogs...
    With all due respect to you and the state of Alaska, there are Pro's in the lower 48.
    ROCK CHALK

    What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I think the trend of field trial participants getting older will continue
    YES Sir!!! Unfortunate reality in the trial game for sure.

    BTW, you guys OK down there today with the big storms?
    ROCK CHALK

    What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

  12. #10
    Senior Member Daren Galloway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Also derby numbers falling is indicative of a lack of new people being drawn in to the sport. And there are o many things that can be road blocks ..... having the dog, the training ability, grounds access, good am group to train with, financial requirements etc.
    I do not agree with that statement at all. The derby is a terrible entry stake for someone new. It is dominated by pros, and very good amateurs with lots of time, because of the truncated time frame to train the dog to a very high level.
    Daren Galloway

    FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •