Slow hunting on marks - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow hunting on marks

Quote Originally Posted by Cjamison12388 View Post
    I use wingers for marks and try to get him back to the fall area using the duck call on the winger....
    Put a shackled banty in your winger.
    Your dog will be a real hum dinger! 😏

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheGlades View Post
    are you always training alone??? Get a bird boy to throw for you / help when needed. Dont let that dog leave the area without success !!!
    Training alone can be a real bummer !!
    Have a look at Dennis Voigt Training alone dvd's ..or drills.
    Caveat to 100 % success on a flat football field is the dog often, if not always gets a free run on the last furlong when running distance , because it can see the Mark on the ground when it is a blind !!! ? ..funny how when some train for a blind with a tail wind and some dogs have real problems going on a straight line 50 feet , but have huge success in training when it is a head wind on 300 yards on a flat park ? ... I digress ... Salt the area and have 10 bumpers in that area of where the mark fell ! Darrin touched on this .. The dog is more likely to get a hit first time every time ..it hits the area. (try 50 yards with 100% success) ..but then ..what do I know.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

He doesn’t come back with out the bird but this is becoming a real issue having a ten minute lack luster hunt for a 20 yard mark in cover. For comparison he has done marks up to 250 yards on flat fields.
    Hunting ten minutes for a mark in cover but doing 250yd marks in flat fields.
    Could there be an issue with his nose?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

When you were working in warmer weather, could he have picked up a duck or pheasant with a wasp on it? Or ants? Are you using ducks/pheasants rock hard from the freezer? With broken bones from overuse? Just tossing out ideas. Sounds almost like he's avoiding the marks for some reason.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Pinyon Cassidy UD RM JH (golden retriever, 3/28/2016; avatar)
    My best bad decision

HR Maple Cassidy UDX OM1 JH RM RAE (golden retriever, 6/24/2009)
    Up for anything, as long as she doesn't have to leave home to do it

And all the others forever in my heart

"There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry

Dirt clod drill encourages persistence but not necessarily aggressive hunting which you seem to be most concerned about. In fact I think it might make your problem worse not better. Follow that syrup guy’s advice, get some Bantams, if they don’t encourage your dog to hunt aggressively nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    When you were working in warmer weather, could he have picked up a duck or pheasant with a wasp on it? Or ants? Are you using ducks/pheasants rock hard from the freezer? With broken bones from overuse? Just tossing out ideas. Sounds almost like he's avoiding the marks for some reason.
    He picks them up promptly when he finds them, geese, pheasants, ducks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Hunting ten minutes for a mark in cover but doing 250yd marks in flat fields.
    Could there be an issue with his nose?
    I’m actually starting to wonder a but, another professional trainer remarked he doesn’t seem to trust his nose. But it works to some extent he flushes pheasant just fine and I can tell when he gets down wind and turns. I don’t know at this point. Maybe it is just a desire thing.

I’m actually starting to wonder a but, another professional trainer remarked he doesn’t seem to trust his nose. But it works to some extent he flushes pheasant just fine and I can tell when he gets down wind and turns. I don’t know at this point. Maybe it is just a desire thing.
    I would work exclusively on trying to build his desire and making birds the ultimate in fun for him. One idea that comes to mind, plant several birds in cover then take your dog for a walk. As he finds each bird (which should come as a surprise to him) make a huge fuss over him. Build as much excitement as you can so he knows he is the greatest dog ever each time he finds a bird.

Use ducks first then hen pheasants as he improves.
    Last edited by drunkenpoacher; 01-15-2020 at 09:22 AM.

i wish I could figure what the issue is. I just threw a few marks for him and most of them were fine he lines to the mark, but as soon as he doesn’t find it right away. He’s popping up, trotting around peeing on stuff and sticking his face in a rabbit hole. Then two min later he grabs the mark.

i wish I could figure what the issue is. I just threw a few marks for him and most of them were fine he lines to the mark, but as soon as he doesn’t find it right away. He’s popping up, trotting around peeing on stuff and sticking his face in a rabbit hole. Then two min later he grabs the mark.
    Training with a group would help a lot. Make him honor several dogs and watch them getting birds. It might arouse a competitive spirit in him.