Slow hunting on marks - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow hunting on marks

Do you use an e collar? A reminder with a slight bump and "fetch it up" can work wonders when he starts just screwing around and peeing on
    things. Had a dog like that would know where the mark was but his problems was here just wanted to run around for awhile. Call him in and he'd go pick up the mark.
    Dan Boerboon

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do nothing about them.” Albert Einstein

Those without dreams won't go the extra mile

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Boerboon View Post
    Do you use an e collar? A reminder with a slight bump and "fetch it up" can work wonders when he starts just screwing around and peeing on
    things. Had a dog like that would know where the mark was but his problems was here just wanted to run around for awhile. Call him in and he'd go pick up the mark.
    yea he is collar conditioned, I was actually thinking about doing this. I feel like stopping to pee on things is showing a lack of effort/focus which to me deserves a correction. I wasn’t sure if my thinking was correct on that

What have you done to build his drive and desire? That's where speedy hunts come from. I would be careful about e-collar corrections on marks on a dog that's already shown less than optimal 'style'. I would start building drive and desire up close and that will almost assuredly translate into more aggressive hunts at a distance.
    Last edited by bamajeff; 01-21-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cjamison12388 View Post
    yea he is collar conditioned, I was actually thinking about doing this. I feel like stopping to pee on things is showing a lack of effort/focus which to me deserves a correction. I wasn’t sure if my thinking was correct on that
    Pushing him to hunt harder with the e-collar is a mistake.

Him stopping to pee or screw around while he's supposed to be working is symptom of lacking respect, not lacking focus/effort. It does deserve a correction but... there's a bigger, base level issue at hand if you're seeing this type of behavior.
    Darrin Greene

What helped for us..

Dog had plenty of dive to run to a mark if thrown on park grass,or in light cover..or in situations where she just plain stepped on it.
    She had trouble sticking with digging out a mark in cover, or where she might have mismarked it..

What we did..

Removed any correction.. (Collar use, bad idea)
    Shortened things up a lot..
    While on walks and with a surprise situation, (get dogs attention with "hey hey hey") I would throw an orange bumper into heavy cover. Very close to us. Far enough she could easily see the throw ,but it landed in deep cover... As she struggled to find it (She would) I would encourage her to keep at it with "Hunt it up".

You want to have the dog have to hunt,,but at first its important for dog to have success with hunts of bumpers thrown in really deep cover, Knowing there is a bumper in there.. (Start off easy,,maybe moderate cover)When retrieved, give praise..

GRADUALLY increase level of difficulty, and depth of cover, and the amount of encouragement you give to keep the dog hunting for it.. Remember to focus on getting a good hunt, with the success of the dog finding the bumper.. increase difficulty gradually..

Eventually, because the dog has had success, HUNTING, we noticed marked improvement..

Once the dog gets really good at this,,, then you can add stuff like "Dirt Clod drills" or various marking drills.. (Y drill for example) alternating cover depth from light to deep, to keep dogs desire to hunt up..

Eventually on longer marks,, BB help can be an asset..

A good discussion about correct (opinionated) way of how a BB should help.. Different ways , different trainers..

Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-21-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Has the dog been FF'd?

If so,, Was the dog really ,did he become ,really proficient during Pile work, Yard work.?
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-21-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Not stealing the thread from the Original poster , or our learned friends .
    I had a co-colleague Trainer ' of Retrievers call me the other day . "This young one of 9 month old is spinning when she gets 2 yards from the dummy (bumper) and starts to hunt ! " ..He called it "Fast hunting on a mark" . ?
    I asked " Is it only when it is a mark , that the dog has seen the fall, or a mark that is in the sky and the fall is then blind to the dog where it fell ? "
    "Oh , it is good when it can see the bumper /dummy on the ground ..it goes straight to it with No spinning ! " He said .
    Let's have a look at the dog doing that I replied?
    My colleague has had some success in competition so I suppose there is not much than can be learned from where you are ,to where you want to be "said my mentor Grandad in 1975" ..Any chance we can let this dog to 'run in ' so that we can get some Go , before we get some don't go ?" and with we can have just a teeny little bit of wanting to go that will be just dandy !"
    My illustrate colleague is a nice guy ! .....He told me The mother done the same . "Do you think it is in the breeding ?" ..because the mother done the same ! .. Nah! I replied " It's black ,and It's a female and it's a dog and it Is of the same breeding , the only common denominator other than that is You ! ... We are are still friends btw .The dog more so .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

You can always simplify..

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    You can always simplify..
    Gooser , you can also just simply .Fly
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever