The Case for Dewclaws - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for Dewclaws

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Here is an attempt to repost the image Doctor Ed had uploaded to see if it is zoomable and readable. I could not get it to show so asked Ed to forward and let me try.

Attachment 80690
    Thanks, Chris - and Dr. Ed. I'm going to save this as a PDF and give it to potential puppy buyers.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Have had two dogs WITH Dewclaws over course of my life span. ( will be 50 this year). BOTH have torn the dewclaws . One was using her foot to manipulate something, and the other tore in the field. No torn legs or leg ligaments, or carpal arthritis in the dogs who had them removed.
    As the lab ages ( dewclaws), it will be interesting to see if she develops any arthritis in her feet. I am getting a new pup in about 7 weeks, and she ,too, will have dewclaws (not by my choice). Not going to decline a puppy because it has them, but as of now, I still plan to remove them in my newborn litters.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I cannot not like this enough! Thanks Dr Ed!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea MH QA2 "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Sight To Sea's The Contender MH ( by FC AFC Lane's Let's Get Ready to Rumble) Upcoming knucklehead
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able) king of the couch

Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!
    Owner www.sighttosealabs.com
    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Y'all can dew what you want. I have a dog that was out for months after she got her dew-claw caught on a truck bed at 4, had to go to physical therapy. Also have a dog who has cut those dew-claws in iced snow, so that she couldn't hunt after a few hours on a week long trip. I have a dog that jumped out of a boat got tangled in camo netting, so that she ripped her leg. She has de-gloved those nails, more times than I can count; and I keep them short; although that is an epic weekly battle. I have a dog who came up lame on that same leg off and on her whole life. I have a dog with dew-claws I also have a dog with horrible arthritis in her shoulder and elbow. I have a dog with a hyper-extension injury; and over sized wrist with arthritis. I have 3 other dogs No dew-claws that haven't had any of these issues; but that is probably the luck of the draw. Dew-claws = good item of discussion until you have a dog that has issue with them. Having them might help with some things, they might prevent hyperextension injuries or might prevent whatever. I choose not to deal with might after I've seen what Actually happened to a dog that has dew-claws. To each their own but I wouldn't wish dew-claw injury on anyone. The blood; the screaming; the getting bit by your own dog because they are in such pain when your trying to untangle them; the recovery time; nope won't ever to go through that again
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-18-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Y'all can dew what you want. I have a dog that was out for months after she got her dew-claw caught on a truck bed at 4, had to go to physical therapy. Also have a dog who has cut those dew-claws in iced snow, so that she couldn't hunt after a few hours on a week long trip. I have a dog that jumped out of a boat got tangled in camo netting, so that she ripped her leg. She has de-gloved those nails, more times than I can count; and I keep them short; although that is an epic weekly battle. I have a dog who came up lame on that same leg off and on her whole life. I have a dog with dew-claws I also have a dog with horrible arthritis in her shoulder and elbow. I have a dog with a hyper-extension injury; and over sized wrist with arthritis. I have 3 other dogs No dew-claws that haven't had any of these issues; but that is probably the luck of the draw. Dew-claws = good item of discussion until you have a dog that has issue with them. Having them might help with some things, they might prevent hyperextension injuries or might prevent whatever. I choose not to deal with might after I've seen what Actually happened to a dog that has dew-claws. To each their own but I wouldn't wish dew-claw injury on anyone. The blood; the screaming; the getting bit by your own dog because they are in such pain when your trying to untangle them; the recovery time; nope won't ever to go through that again
    Why does my bullshyt meter red line on so many of your posts?

I have had 100's of English Setters go though this kennel and personally have had 20 some Labs with dewclaws intact, NEVER had an issue. Hard to believe Hunt Em up had all of the ones I was supposed to have
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea MH QA2 "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Sight To Sea's The Contender MH ( by FC AFC Lane's Let's Get Ready to Rumble) Upcoming knucklehead
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able) king of the couch

Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!
    Owner www.sighttosealabs.com
    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Why does my bullshyt meter red line on so many of your posts?

Because you forgot to turn on your compassion meter?
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

It's easy to prove dew claw injuries but nearly impossible to prove an injury was prevented by having dew claws.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER SH -- Reggie

The purpose of my post was edification not presenting a topic for debate. The opinion is mine with mostly anecdotal support. Having dealt with two serious carpal hyperextension injuries in field trial dogs in the past three years (one career ending and one career threatening) I have concluded that any support for this most vulnerable joint is important. Dr. Zink’s observations and conclusions did not sway me originally but that was prior to these two dogs. If the dewclaw ligaments provide additional support for the carpal joint it seems silly to ignore that potential benefit. Even if the injury would have occurred anyway but the ligaments intact provided enough protection to the joint that repairing the injury would require a partial arthrodesis versus a total arthrodesis the benefit to the dog is immense. If you have experienced serious dewclaw injuries as one poster claims then you may decide that there is no good to come from leaving dewclaws on puppies. I happen to disagree after 50 years as a veterinarian. I cannot imagine any dewclaw injury that is in any manner serious and certainly much less serious than an injury that requires joint fusion.

Dr. Ed, Could a dewclaw nail be surgically removed, just like some do to cats? If so, might it result in no injury snags yet no carpal troubles.
    Maximum Intensity's Overwatch QAA, aka Sniper (AFC Ten Bear's Road Trip X Field of Dreams Destination Anywhere QAA)
    Ptarmigan Anything for Selenas, aka Rosie (OGF Woodrow QA2 X Bally's Savin' for a Rainy Day QA2 MH)
    [email protected]
    If you are standing exactly on the South Pole and fart, it can only go up or north.