changing dogs name??
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: changing dogs name??

Default changing dogs name??

i'm thinking i may go started for my next dog purchase. i am just curious how hard it is(i know not recommended) to change say a 10 months old name? i prefer not to go to the launch tell my dog to come and have 5 other dogs as well because of the common name.(teal, remi, beretta, drake, etc...) not to offend anyone.....thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Very easy, have done it.

Easy, just link the two names together. Example...Old name: Remi New name: Tex Start by linking the two names together such as calling "RemiTex" Eventually drop the Remi.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I used the same concept at Labs R Us but just a bit different in timing. My dog was named "Panda". I changed her name to "Socks". She was coming to it in a matter of two days. I'd call Panda and when she started I'd simply say, "Good girl Socks" Said that several times the first day. The second day I just started calling "Socks". The couple times she didn't seem to understand, I reverted to the first day call.

Funny thing though. I just called "Panda" and she came racing to me. Guess the breeder's name stuck and that was 18 months ago. Still, she's very solid on "Socks".
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

I did not chain the dogs old name to the new name. I never used it at all. He was an adult, middle-aged Chesapeake Bay Retriever. His original call name was Toby. I changed it to Scooby-Doo. I used treats, bacon and played fetch releasing him on the new name. It took about an afternoon.

I used to do rescue and often I'd get a dog and have no idea what the dogs name was. Sometimes the shelter would name the dog and I'd either keep that name or not. Doesn't take too long for them to learn a new name. Another issue was getting a dog that had the same name as one of mine. I got a Ginger and already had a Ginger. I changed the new Ginger to Gigi and she would come to that and ignore my call for Ginger within a couple of weeks. I kept Gigi (and Ginger) because Gigi was 10 when I got her and no one wants to adopt an old dog. The dogs read you and know who you are talking to and learn quickly.
    Chuck

no kidding, i never really thought it would be so easy. very good to know. thanks

Cinch,

14 month old Springer named "Missie" came in to the kennel; I already had a Springer "Chrissie", so didn't want any confusion with the sibilants. Didn't bother chaining, she just became "Milie". Took no time at all; in a couple of weeks I could cast her by name out of a group.

She was a rescue (gentleman was in very poor health) and when I'd trained her on a bit I gave her to a forester mate as a shooting / beating dog. Never a problem with him either.

Eugene
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 01-21-2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Very easy, have done it couple times.

Now changing what your dogs call you. That can be more of a challenge! 😎