Advice for boredom while hunting
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for boredom while hunting

Default Advice for boredom while hunting

I just finished the first season with my year and a half old chocolate lab. This being my first dog to train myself, I did what I could preseason and took a lot of notes for off season training this year. His biggest flaw and my biggest obstacle is how bored he get hunting. Not long after the decoys are set he’s trying to chew on every stick he can reach (including the tree behind him) and whining a lot. What do I need to do to break him out of this? He hasn’t flared any ducks yet but he’s also not been around a ton either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I'd recommend scouting and finding more ducks to keep him from getting bored...
    Delta - Olinger's Rocky River Delta MH
    Jazz - RR's Smooth Rhythm

In the preseason it's good to go out to your duck blinds with the dog in the afternoon. Maybe with an adult beverage or two. And just sit. Let the dog get used to just sitting and doing nothing and spending time with you. you can also have a bumper in your pocket during hunting season when no birds are visible you can play fetch with your dog in the decoys. Also donuts are good!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I am mostly hunting standing in the woods. I did hop a blind a couple of times and it wasn’t as bad because he could move around the blind. I am currently using a MoMarsh stand.

Do you run the risk of taking him to fetch every single time he’s on his stand that when the birds aren’t flying that he will get restless the same way?

They all get bored when the hunting is really slow but at a year and a half there is still a lot of puppy in your brown dog.
    As dogs mature and get a few birds they usually get the idea that they are hunting when in a blind. Most will scan the sky for ducks, I'm sure you know that.
    Some are lifelong whiners, I had one. He was and excellent dog out of a NAFC. We came to an agreement, he whined softly and I accepted it.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Also, branching off of it but not really. Those times when you're working a flock and you just can't get them to come in and they start to do the bigger circle and are about to leave. You toss that bumper out there and have the dog start swimming through the decoys. And those birds will hook back around and start working with you again just cuz something was swimming around in those decoys. Make sure your dog is back at your side before your buddies open fire. It works.

That is a great idea. I will have to keep that in mind. I wish I had better options and expose him to more birds but we didn’t end up with many in TN this year. Not many great public options either even if there was birds.

A friend was out with a couple of his friends and their dogs. He tells that they were in the dead of winter, skim of ice here and there. They sat and sat and sat. Suddenly they heard a gurgling sound. Looked around and couldn't see anything of note. Then heard it again. Several more times . . . Finally they caught his dog, leaning into the water and blowing bubbles. They decided the day was done . . .
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

Down/stay on a platform with lots of distractions going on - teach him to do it for 90 minutes consistently. Basic obedience.
    Darrin Greene

If you've got the room, set up a blind in your living room and make them "kennel" while you're watching TV. Basically what Darrin said above, but it makes it easier to work into everyday life. I've been working on it this winter with my 7 month old pup.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Delta - Olinger's Rocky River Delta MH
    Jazz - RR's Smooth Rhythm