Rolling Back The Clean Water Act - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Back The Clean Water Act

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I grew up 3 miles from one of the spots Nogie describes, The James River system. My pre teen friends & I used to ride our work horses to
    a spot on Hwy 37 where the James river flows under & over in flood stage. There was a flowing well just E of a drive on the S side that
    created a late summer fishing hole second to none.

We would harvest about 300 bullheads & young cats, clean them on the spot & bucket them for dinner. Soaked overnight in salt water took
    the muddy taste out. 2 fished while one cleaned. The Good Old Days .

That system is what it is because of nature. When I was young the land was thought to be worthless, but government programs created a
    life for it. Good for hayland, nothing else.
    Marvin, even in Tennessee the land is Mars to Venus. The state is 500 miles long and here in the Miss. Delta, there is onlh dirt and no rock. To our eastern boundry is the Smokey Mountains. Does it really make sense to have the same conservation laws?? I think not.

Bh the way, what is a "FLOWING WELL"? Here we have what is called "underground springs". I hav one on the farm that I do not live. Or is it really a well?

My second Grand was in Iowa and I was facinated with the land there. There is nothing more enjoyable that traveling and talking to the farmers about the area which they live and produce. I think that I do have an eye to be able to spot the farmer that takes caare of his(her) land and realizes that they are only custodians while here. I keep saying that I am going to make it to the Northwest where I have never been but I had better do it pretty soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

A flowing well is exactly what it sounds like, a pipe stuck in the ground that water flows freely from.
    Area of well screen is under artesian conditions. Very similar to an underground spring, just that water in a spring is free flowing from the ground to the surface. Same dynamics, different depths.

Quote Originally Posted by ripline View Post
    A flowing well is exactly what it sounds like, a pipe stuck in the ground that water flows freely from.
    Area of well screen is under artesian conditions. Very similar to an underground spring, just that water in a spring is free flowing from the ground to the surface. Same dynamics, different depths.
    Thanks Rip. Thought that might be but neve saw one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I grew up 3 miles from one of the spots Nogie describes, The James River system. My pre teen friends & I used to ride our work horses to
    a spot on Hwy 37 where the James river flows under & over in flood stage. There was a flowing well just E of a drive on the S side that
    created a late summer fishing hole second to none.

We would harvest about 300 bullheads & young cats, clean them on the spot & bucket them for dinner. Soaked overnight in salt water took
    the muddy taste out. 2 fished while one cleaned. The Good Old Days .

That system is what it is because of nature. When I was young the land was thought to be worthless, but government programs created a
    life for it. Good for hayland, nothing else.
    The Jim River is over a half mile wide and moving under Hwy 37 when I drove across it a week ago. It's a sight.
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegillam View Post
    Actually, much of this repeal eliminates protections that have been in place since the early 70s. I believe much of the prairie pothole wetlands will now fall out of protection. The EPA estimates that Arizona and Nevada will lose protection on 90+% of their waterways. Also, according the EPA, most of the applications for draining waivers have been from developers, not farmers. For the most part, this is not a case of some poor farmer who needs to plow the 2 acre pothole in order to make a living. Remember, all non navigable waterways eventually flow to navigable waterways. Do some research on Lake Erie algae blooms, where mega farm waste products play a majority role
    You know the Trump cult is allergic to the facts. They'll run cover for the criminal because unlike conservative Conservationist of the past, these guys don't care how much of our environment gets destroyed.
    Why would the Russians try to re-elect Trump?
    Because he’s making Russia great again—while crippling American power and influence.
    The Trump Presidency is Putin’s dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegillam View Post
    Actually, much of this repeal eliminates protections that have been in place since the early 70s. I believe much of the prairie pothole wetlands will now fall out of protection. The EPA estimates that Arizona and Nevada will lose protection on 90+% of their waterways. Also, according the EPA, most of the applications for draining waivers have been from developers, not farmers. For the most part, this is not a case of some poor farmer who needs to plow the 2 acre pothole in order to make a living. Remember, all non navigable waterways eventually flow to navigable waterways. Do some research on Lake Erie algae blooms, where mega farm waste products play a majority role
    You know the Trump cult is allergic to the facts. They'll run cover for the criminal because unlike conservative Conservationist of the past, these guys don't care how much of our environment gets destroyed.
    Care to share any “facts” Frankie?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post

Start with the link in post #1.

And, lets see your facts. I'll be you have none!
    Why would the Russians try to re-elect Trump?
    Because he’s making Russia great again—while crippling American power and influence.
    The Trump Presidency is Putin’s dream come true.

A government funded source with “facts” favoring more government power and regulation, who’d a thunk it?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

I don't need to post a link. I can show pictures of almost 200 years of conservation that has been done by my family as well as others here. All you can do is mindlessly post links swith no understanding at all of the issues.

I have an idea. YOU post anything you personally have done that improves soil conservation. I speak from experience and actual work. You speak from stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I asked you for your personal experiences and you give me articles. Tell me if you have any experience that can prove the articals. lAs for the use of Roundup, the government REQUIRES "notill practices" on highly errodable land which require the use of herbacides.

I bought a farm about 15 years ago that was in CRP. There was a bad erosion problem such that one could turn over a medium size tractor along with a 12 foot batwing bush hog. When I went to the soil conservation people for permission to build a structure to stop the erosion, I was told that I could not touch the land as that would disturb the wildlife habitat. So I waited till the CRP contract expired and then put in the structure that stopped the soil from going into the creeks and rivers. One bureaucrat telling you to do something and another telling you that you can't.

In the 1950's the government got the bright idea to cut the trees along the road where I live that bordered Mill Creek on one side and my Father's land on the other. NOT ON MY SIDE, my father told them. So today they are still dumping about 100 truck loads of dirt every year in a stretch of about 100 yards of road. The trees on my side do a great job of holding the bank of the creek and now the government has been dumping dirt into the creek, trying to hold the road. I do not believe these are bad people but the habit of the government thinking that one size fits all, is common.

Nashville, Tn. brings effuent as far as 50 miles from the town and dumps it on farm land. I have no doubt that the owner is told that "there is no problem with what is dumped. Do you really believe that?? Ask Nogie.

I only glanced at Nogie's post but let me tell you the results of the Corps of Engineers here, the result of holding back water in the west, caused massive summer flooding here that affected ten's of thousands of acres of farm land.

I could write ten times as much giving examples of the failure of government but won't. Just let me say that there is always a bias when it comes to environmental issues. If you choose to look for those that support your beliefs, you can find them. If you choose to look for those that support your preconceived views, you can find them too.
    I believe you asked about how mega farms were impacting the algae blooms in Lake Erie. I gave you a couple of articles that explained some of the impact. Nope, I am not a farmer, haven’t had a dog die because they ingested the water, or live in a city that couldn’t use the water for their drinking water, but I do know people who have. I find it quite amusing, that some/many of your comments are along the lines of if someone hasn’t personally done/worked/lived subject X, then they possibly couldn’t know anything. Using that line of thinking, because you haven’t run a hog farm with 10,000 hogs, you don’t know anything about mega farms.

Since you don’t seem to believe anything that you haven’t done, it would be a huge waste of my time to try and show you anything that would show the correlation/causation of farming practices and negative impact it is having on Lake Erie. More than likely, those studies would come from expert scientists in the field, and we know, they certainly don’t know anything.
    " Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, (red) wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Unknown