Question about Hold and FF - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Hold and FF

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    I agree, I know this has been discussed. I’ve read through a few, but someone needs to tell me how to search this forum more efficiently. Seems like every thing I search, I get pages of thread and still only find 1-2 directly related to my question. I know they’re out there, but I don’t have much luck with the search function.
    If you look at the "Stiickys" that are also posted at top of page before the current thread list, You will se one Titled something Like, "How to Optimize the search function."

https://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?94527-Forum-Searching-How-to-Optimize-your-Search-for-Topics
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-28-2020 at 08:37 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I’ve tried a Tap under the jaw with “Hold” command, “No”, tap under jaw and “hold” command, holding mouth closed with “hold” command.

Thanks for response by the way. Every time I post a question, you offer input and I very much appreciate it.
    I'm with Darren about moving to FF but I want to point something out to you..

If you're doing all that stuff and it's making him nervous (it is) - two or three major possibilities 1) you're doing it all too hard physically and verbally 2) your timing is off and 3) your dog is overall intimidated by you're being that close..

All stuff to think about and refine as you go through more pressure oriented exercises. Timing, modulation and non-emotional responses are all critical to your dog's understanding.

Good time for some in person coaching, possibly.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

If you're doing all that stuff and it's making him nervous (it is) - two or three major possibilities 1) you're doing it all too hard physically and verbally 2) your timing is off and 3) your dog is overall intimidated by you're being that close..

All stuff to think about and refine as you go through more pressure oriented exercises. Timing, modulation and non-emotional responses are all critical to your dog's understanding.

KRD - I wrote pretty much everything Darrin has said.... and was going to hit the 'reply button' Then I thought, I am not there to see what is going on. Giving reasons for why a dog is doing x y and z based on written text....welll.......

Still - I agree with Darrin and Darin...

If the dog is perfect in doing the obedience work while holding, why keep doing it for a week? why not just move on? From your despcription, the dog is ready.

I never understood how people expected a dog to be calm and have a quiet 'mouth' when they were scolding/reprimanding and tapping or smacking the dog under the chin for not holding properly. Probably along with improperly timed corrections.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    KRD - I wrote pretty much everything Darrin has said.... and was going to hit the 'reply button' Then I thought, I am not there to see what is going on. Giving reasons for why a dog is doing x y and z based on written text....welll.......

If the dog is perfect in doing the obedience work while holding, why keep doing it for a week? why not just move on? From your despcription, the dog is ready.

I never understood how people expected a dog to be calm and have a quiet 'mouth' when they were scolding/reprimanding and tapping or smacking the dog under the chin for not holding properly. Probably along with improperly timed corrections.
    Noted. Thank you both. This is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post

Thinking on this some more. If I have made him nervous, by being to hard. How do I correct this? I guess the obvious answer is don't do that. My thoughts would be to continue with hold, but with less pressure to make him more at ease and comfortable, before moving on to FF.

However, both of you recommend moving on to FF now, so that is what I will do. I'm just trying to learn and understand.

Thanks,

KRD

Thinking on this some more. If I have made him nervous, by being to hard. How do I correct this? I guess the obvious answer is don't do that. My thoughts would be to continue with hold, but with less pressure to make him more at ease and comfortable, before moving on to FF.

However, both of you recommend moving on to FF now, so that is what I will do. I'm just trying to learn and understand.

Thanks,

KRD
    I've seen a number of dogs get squared away as the process goes on. You being more aware of your own actions and how they might effect your dog will help make sure that symptom doesn't get carried all the way through. Don't get too derailed thinking about things. Be observant, think as you go along and don't be afraid to ask for in person help from someone who's succeeded with a number of dogs. FF is one of the more tricky behaviors you're going to have to tackle. Good luck!
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    A delivery to hand is good enough .No pressure ..simple place to start.
    Maybe FF ,Is not the next step .....Yet ? Darrin .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Maybe FF ,Is not the next step .....Yet ? Darrin .
    Would be here for most people. The dogs tend to get trough OK.

If I were doing it personally and created that issue, no.
    Darrin Greene

A delivery to hand is good enough .No pressure ..simple place to start.
    Is this the practice of choice across the pond? Do you guys/gals not FF your retrievers?

Quote Originally Posted by jforqueran View Post
    Is this the practice of choice across the pond? Do you guys/gals not FF your retrievers?
    I'm not certain, but I believe e-collars are outlawed in many places across the pond.
    Not saying I still wouldn't FF, but it would be an abbreviated form of what we do