RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A little friendly advice requested...

7K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  lauraacton299 
#1 ·
I guess to start, I’ll give a little background. I got my first retriever 12 years ago as a 2 y/o started dog. He was my buddy, and we were joined at the hip for 12 years. When I got him, he had heart worms, his paws were literally bleeding from not being out of a kennel more than 20-30 minutes a day for God knows how long. It took 4 months of babying his feet and heart worm treatments to get him in shape enough to train for our first hunting season together. I was not aware of the issues other than feet until I tried to contact the vet of record and found he had not been seen by a vet since he was 6 months old. Of course this lead to a rather heated discussion between myself and the kennel owner. Fast forward 12 awesome years and a million memories later, to two weeks ago. I had to put my buddy down, because he developed tremendous pain and inability to walk or stand on his own. This was a surprise and the suddenness (I was gone for an hour) lead my vet to believe that he blew out a disc.
So I’m wanting to get another pup or started dog. I’m really wanting a fox red lab, but I’m not sure who around has them. I see websites etc., but I guess I’m gun shy after the last experience. Any suggestions on kennels or breeders? The other catch is I’m not “loaded” at the moment, so I’m in the $1000-$2000 range. Is that even doable?

Thanks.
Trent

See less See more
#6 ·
We are heart broken for you.

#10 ·
Thanks for the leads. I am looking at each one, and I’m seeing some for sure great looking pups. I appreciate the thoughts as well and the PMs. Luke was my first and only retriever so far. I’d always heard they get to you like no other, but I didn’t realize just how deep the connection and love would go. After looking around, I’m not sure I’m 100% ready for that new pup, but I’m sure looking forward to when I am.

#11 ·
Very, very sorry for your loss, you did wonderful things by your buddy and he returned them.

When the right time and the right pup comes along, you'll know. It's hard thinking about another pup/dog coming in, and it won't be Luke, but, it will be the start of another journey with another friend. It won't be the same one, there will be bittersweet memories of Luke blended in, but it gets better with time, the memories get sweeter.

Whoever you look at, make sure all health clearances are done, OFA hips/elbows/eyes, VERIFIED, don't just take word it is done if they say so. PennHip is OK for hips instead of OFA but it is not an excuse not to have done OFA elbows. At least one parent should be verified clear of EIC, CNM, PRA, RD/OSD, SD2, the genetic tests we can do. It's OK if one parent is a carrier, as long as one parent is clear. Look up some threads on TVD on here and Facebook (if you're there), not so many "field" Lab breeders are doing ECHO yet as a matter of clearance, up to you if it is a deal breaker.

You should easily be able to get a fox red pup from health-tested parents with at least one of them having a MH or HRCH, probably even FC AFC, for 2K or under. Especially in TX should be some in range. Rusty & Ashlee Haglund, Trigger Time Kennels in TX. Jeff Brown, Dawgonitretrievers, in TX has a Snapper litter just whelped. Look up Torg's Texas Ranger on Hunting Lab Pedigree, he's down there, a QAA stud who may have some pups coming. FC AFC Gunstock's Topshelf Snap Decision, lots of "red" litters by him, lots of his offspring and grandoffspring breeding. 4x GMPR GRHRCH HRK's Rooster Smasher MH, QAA. Not breeding anymore but follow his descendants down on HLP. Lots out there. He's also owned by Torgs, they are in Bemidji, MN, and winter in AL. Mike Vaughn in WI has two nice red studs. Chad Zeman also in WI, give him a shout, he may have some started ones too. He's Red Hot Labradors. Wendy Bonello at Cresthill Kennels in Virginia, has some right now. Carolyn Elam. Katherine at Certainty Labs in OH. Disclaimer: These are just people/dogs I know, who have the clearances, run dogs, I know the dogs, so, not blowing smoke, and not discounting other dogs I've forgotten or not mentioned, just giving somewhere to start, I don't get any referrals or compensation from saying they may have fox red puppies.

Ask about allergies in either parents, ask about CCL issues in either parents, or offspring either may have produced. Cancer. Anything else that is of concern for you. Sounds like a long list, make your head spin, so, write down what's important to you, looks, size, color, gender, temperament, titles/pedigree, clearances, distance/shipping issues, breeder's experience, whatever else pops into your head.

You want a hunting dog, get one from a breeder and/or trainer who hunts/trains/runs their own dogs sometimes even if they use a pro sometimes. Otherwise, if they have no field experience of their own, IMO, they are blowing smoke when talking training, judging a dog's abilities, etc.

#13 ·
Love my Snapper pup (2yo). He’s bad, but entertaining and funny. Really good build and quite hunting. He is on the stockier side.

#16 ·
Sorry for your loss. Going to give you unsolicited advice based on personal experience. Get a new pup soon.

When I lost my first hunting lab, most of my duck hunting gear went in the hole with the dog. I had mostly stopped duck hunting anyway. The dog wasn't physically able to hunt and I wasn't interested in hunting without a dog. I was a miserable SOB. My wife finally put an end to the foolishness by putting a deposit on a pup. Puppy breath won't bring back an old dog but it does keep you busy. Hard to be miserable with a puppy around.

Good luck in your next journey!!!!

#19 ·
Jeff Chesnut, Washita Retrievers has always had fox red labs and sells started dog too. Washita.com Jeff is very reliable and there are lots of people who will vouch for him. I looked at his website and he said he is currently updating his for sale page. Check with him soon. He is in OK but runs the Texas circuit routinely.

#22 ·
Trent,

I am so sorry for your loss and hope you can bring a new pup into your life soon. I know that Rainmaker Labs sometimes have the fox red color. I don't really know the breeder but talked to her a couple times on the phone about a stud, she seemed very straightforward. I do know they are solid field lines, do health testing and are very reputable. I bring that breeder up because I know they wouldn't be breeding just for color, stay away from that. Looks like your in TX however, they are northern WI, so not sure about transport.

Best, Mary

#23 ·
Thank you to everyone. I appreciate the messages on the form and the PMs. You guys are great and have made this situation just a little more tolerable. Thanks again. Feel free to keep the suggestions for Kennels coming. I have called a couple and have one that I am most interested in of the ones that have been mentioned, but no certain decision has been made. I’m still on the hunt for my next dawg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.