New perseverance evaluation technique
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: New perseverance evaluation technique

Default New perseverance evaluation technique

Picture in your mind's eye a 6 foot by 10 foot outdoor kennel run. The door of the run is open about a foot, and Frozen in that position in about 3 in of crusty Icey snow. Then imagine a 20 month old male Chesapeake Bay Retriever with a stick a little bit bigger around than your average broomstick and a little over a yard long. running around the yard having fun kind of playing fetch with me as I am just home from work and he is full of zoom zoom. So one of my tosses of the stick goes awry. Mainly because of lack of attention partially because of drool buildup on the end of the stick it goes into the kennel from the top down. Tic, the puppy in question. Runs into the kennel grabs his stick and tries to run out, clang! Stick is wider than opening.
    Now over the years I have seen dogs solve this problem in almost an instant by tipping their head. I have seen dogs solve this problem by grabbing the stick at the end. And I have seen dogs owned dogs that were never able to get the stick out of the kennel. So I'm curious what's the little feller going to do? Clang! Clang! About a dozen times he tries ramming the stick through sideways. He puts the stick on the ground and barks at it. Goes outside the kennel reaches in grabs the stick tries to pull it through backwards. Clang! Again, put the stick on the ground and barks at it. Picks up the stick goes into the middle of the kennel and lays down. Starts chewing on the stick. Almost in the exact center of the stick. Rapidly, aggressively chewing the stick like a possessed beaver. after chewing for a while grabs in the spot he was chewing gives a violent death shake. Banging the ends of the stick on the ground and it breaks in half. He grabs one of the chunks runs through the opening and brings it to me.does not wait for a head scratch takes off goes back into the kennel and grabs the other piece!!!!
    I could not believe it! Just fricken dumbfounded! He chewed the f__ckig stick in half! I ain't ever seen anything like this puppy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Good DAAG.

Damn stick deserved it.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Are you absolutely certain it’s purebred?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Niles Bora View Post
    Picture in your mind's eye a 6 foot by 10 foot outdoor kennel run. The door of the run is open about a foot, and Frozen in that position in about 3 in of crusty Icey snow. Then imagine a 20 month old male Chesapeake Bay Retriever with a stick a little bit bigger around than your average broomstick and a little over a yard long. running around the yard having fun kind of playing fetch with me as I am just home from work and he is full of zoom zoom. So one of my tosses of the stick goes awry. Mainly because of lack of attention partially because of drool buildup on the end of the stick it goes into the kennel from the top down. Tic, the puppy in question. Runs into the kennel grabs his stick and tries to run out, clang! Stick is wider than opening.
    Now over the years I have seen dogs solve this problem in almost an instant by tipping their head. I have seen dogs solve this problem by grabbing the stick at the end. And I have seen dogs owned dogs that were never able to get the stick out of the kennel. So I'm curious what's the little feller going to do? Clang! Clang! About a dozen times he tries ramming the stick through sideways. He puts the stick on the ground and barks at it. Goes outside the kennel reaches in grabs the stick tries to pull it through backwards. Clang! Again, put the stick on the ground and barks at it. Picks up the stick goes into the middle of the kennel and lays down. Starts chewing on the stick. Almost in the exact center of the stick. Rapidly, aggressively chewing the stick like a possessed beaver. after chewing for a while grabs in the spot he was chewing gives a violent death shake. Banging the ends of the stick on the ground and it breaks in half. He grabs one of the chunks runs through the opening and brings it to me.does not wait for a head scratch takes off goes back into the kennel and grabs the other piece!!!!
    I could not believe it! Just fricken dumbfounded! He chewed the f__ckig stick in half! I ain't ever seen anything like this puppy!
    'Spose he'll remember that trick when he trips on a big Canada's wing a time or two?
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Are you absolutely certain it’s purebred?[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG]
    Pure beaver maybe.
    I am happy he got the stick out of the kennel. Some dogs never are able to. But I kind of wish he is the type of dog that would have thought of just turning his head sideways. I think as we progressed this little boy is going to be a lot of fun though.

Those times he was putting the stick down and barking at it, he was explaining to it exactly what was going to happen if it didn't cooperate.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Good DAAG.
    Howdy Keith!

I thought that Ken's story was so funny I got my wife to read it. She says you need to change your photo.

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Howdy Keith!

She says you need to change your photo.

HPL
    My photo is one of the successful second surgery to find a grass awn. For Pearl and me it represents GOOD news that the seed that caused 7 months of un-treatable infection was finally found and removed. Everyone in dogs needs to know about grass awn injuries.

Ken's pup is a persistent little guy! And a problem solver. Imagine what he'll have to use for force fetch.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 01-31-2020 at 07:53 AM.