Pro Heart 6/12
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Heart 6/12

Default Pro Heart 6/12

Anyone have any experience or advice on Pro Heart 6/12?

I have used heart guard exclusively for the last 20 years. But on the new pups last visit, my vet pitched to me about switching to this. We talked pretty extensively about it and he had explained that it had been pulled off the market for some time, but had been back on for a while with good results.

I have seen many discussions about everything on the market. I would be looking for someone with first hand experience or knowledge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Been using the Pro heart 6 month for several years with no issues.

Used heartguard got heartworms. Used proheart 6 for 5 years now up to 5 dogs no worms. Live within sire of levee on Mississippi se of St. Louis. Mosquitos are this sound like helicopters. That’s all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The active ingredient Moxidectin is available as Advantage Multi in a once a month topical. The injectable relieves you of the monthly dosing but you must remember to get the injections at precise intervals which requires a trip to your veterinarian.

https://www.bayerdvm.com/products/advantage-multi-for-dogs-and-cats/

I have not had one dog test positive for heartworms since I switched to Proheart 6 months since it became available. Whereas i had several that tested positive the previous three years. I live on the Gulf of Mexico in south Louisiana. I have been very satisfied. Yes you do have to visit your vet one extra time per year, but that is still cheaper and more convenient than having to treat for a positive case of heartworms.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    Been using the Pro heart 6 month for several years with no issues.
    Same here and now using the once/year. Endured a light positive on one of mine years ago(Katrina, Rita) who had been on once/ month Heartguard. It’s tough down here in Texas/Louisiana.
    Glad they developed the injections, and so far so good.

Been using it for a few years. I assume it works but heartworm is not all that common here. I love not having to remember heartguard once a month. I get an email from my vet telling me when they are due. That's one reason I switched but the main is in the picture below. While cleaning up the morning after giving heartguard I found the whole thing had passed straight through the dog. Havent used heartguard since.
    heart guard.jpgheart guard.jpg

A reminder for those who use ProHeart for heartworm prevention, there is no protection from intestinal parasites as there is in most of the oral monthly preventatives. Regular fecal exams are recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    A reminder for those who use ProHeart for heartworm prevention, there is no protection from intestinal parasites as there is in most of the oral monthly preventatives. Regular fecal exams are recommended.
    Question for you Ed, if you'd be so kind to share your learned thoughts.
    If this is an injection offering a year of protection against heartworms, it would have to be time released, correct?

If that is correct, wouldn't that be a risky proposition {lasting at least a year} if your dog would be allergic to or have some sort of bad reaction to the active ingredient or other parts of the medication?

If that is so is there a protocol to test for said bad reactions before administering a dose lasting 12 months?
    Last edited by tigerfan; 02-05-2020 at 12:49 PM.

It is my understanding that moxidectin is incorporated into a microencapsulation form that results in the slow release of the active ingredient. I do not know nor have I investigated the chemistry. The product has been available for a long enough period of time that there seem to be minimal adverse drug reactions although I don’t really like the idea of that product or any other product being in the body continuously. We can only trust the manufacturer’s claims and minimal adverse reactions reported to the FDA for guidance.
    Here is the prescribing information from Zoetis
    https://www.zoetisus.com/products/do...nformation.pdf