Questions about The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

What about a weight to height ratio? Can the breed club institute something like that? Sort of like a BMI for Labs. It is a consistent problem that the breed judges have produced and are perpetuating. I get that a weigh in has never been done before for dogs, but they are creating a health hazard for our dogs?

I had a friend that did the show ring, had a grand champion, and also did obedience. You can imagine what happened as a result of jumping that dog. They couldn't do a serious land series in a Master if they look like they do in the show ring. They'd keel over, probably get heat stroke.

I agree with and heartily supported the instructions to judges about weight... but telling them this did no good. Obviously they have to have something that would make flab a disqualifying fault. Maybe instructing them that the last rib should be visible on the dog. (No, I take that back. The coats have gotten extreme... IMO... so the poor beasts would have to starve...).

Nope, I think it has to be a qualification sort of thing like height. Add a height to weight ratio.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    LRC establishes the breed standard, but neither they, nor AKC, can insist that conformation judges change the dogs they are selecting. As I said above, Steve, "The problem with dogs in the show ring is not a problem with the breed standard, which hasn't changed significantly in years, certainly not since the mid-1980s, when we saw the last of the Dual Champion Labradors (which looked much more like many of the field dogs now). The problem is in the interpretation of those who are judging in conformation. As far as I'm concerned, those things in the show ring are not Labradors. They're Flabradors."

Hey Don-Clean out your private messages, trying to send you a PM. And you are "full".
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    My dog would not be able to get a certificate from the LRC.
    Actually I bet you could get a certificate; it's the conformational version of the WC. I've gotten one on every dog I've ever put into it, we tend to put in the outliers just to see if they will get a certificate. Every dog I've ever put in was determined to be a Labrador; some got less points than others; but they still get the certificate. It's nice that all my dog are still labs but I put in a giant dog who was super tall and at 80lbs was overly skinny. The only thing they can really tell you about is gait; they know about that, and I actually learned something. But everyone tends to get a certificate. You will get a lot of props for having a dog in "working" condition, but be prepared to trot aka. FT lab walk .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-21-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Hey Don-Clean out your private messages, trying to send you a PM. And you are "full".
    Just did, Nate. Sorry. Send away.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    AKC is a registry. They do not control the breed standards or other aspects of each breed.

As I stated earlier, the LRC sends a copy of the illustrated breed standard along with a letter reminding all judges licensed to judge Labradors that they should review the standard and remember the dogs are supposed to be show in “working condition” and that extremes in weight, height (short or tall) as well as dilute colors are not acceptable. But there is nothing holding the judges to that. Neither the AKC nor the LRC can punish judges for picking fat dogs—they can stop them from putting up dilutes because that is a disqualifying fault.

Meredith

Ok so I know AKC is a registry. BUT if AKC should decide to make the Doodles an official breed they would be given a written standard and they would start showing up in events of all kinds. You cant tell me AKC has no influence. Don't know about the show ring but they have a TON of influence on FT and HT. Just look at what adding the Master National title has done to HT. Our field trial and hunt tests are AKC sanctioned and pretty a driving factor behind the games. Don't know about the show ring but are they not AKC sanctioned for pure bred dog?? Purely outrageous the conformation events can just decide on their own what a dog, Labrador in particular, should look like. I guess if a judge can decide what wins in the ring then nobody could whine because a dog finished second behind a dog the handled in a trial, just an exaggerated example.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Actually I bet you could get a certificate; it's the conformational version of the WC. I've gotten one on every dog I've ever put into it, we tend to put in the outliers just to see if they will get a certificate. Every dog I've ever put in was determined to be a Labrador; some got less points than others; but they still get the certificate. It's nice that all my dog are still labs but I put in a giant dog who was super tall and at 80lbs was overly skinny. The only thing they can really tell you about is gait; they know about that, and I actually learned something. But everyone tends to get a certificate. You will get a lot of props for having a dog in "working" condition, but be prepared to trot aka. FT lab walk .

Exactly, so what's the point??? Gonna turn the Lab into a dog like the (wont mention the breed) that has 5000 worthless letters after it's name.

Sorry this just drives me nuts because it makes no sense. Why wouldnt the parent club of the breed or the organization that registers the breed as a pure bred dog have a say in how it is judged in conformation?? Isn't AKC's purpose to preserve the pure bred dog??? In my opinion the show ring has ruined more than one breed. It is a testament to the good old Labrador that people haven't screwed them up all together.000_1549.jpg000_1568.jpgHere's my snippy faced Greyhound, Whippet looking field lab

Reconcile that there are two separate and different breeds sharing the same name, Labrador Retriever. No amount of legislating will change that unless or until there is a qualification for the bench ring that requires a breed to demonstrate the reason for it’s existence. If not they should be included with the non-sporting group. The divergence in Labradors is long standing but has become much worse in the last 25-30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Reconcile that there are two separate and different breeds sharing the same name, Labrador Retriever. No amount of legislating will change that unless or until there is a qualification for the bench ring that requires a breed to demonstrate the reason for it’s existence. If not they should be included with the non-sporting group. The divergence in Labradors is long standing but has become much worse in the last 25-30 years.

If that were the case there would be a BIG jump in the Junior hunt test entries and then they would be done. Some already do that just to claim a field title even if it does take the 7 or 8 tries. I do consider them two different breeds sharing the same name. I know nothing is going to change but stuff that just makes no sense what so ever drives me nuts. I don't mind the conformation dogs. What bothers me is judging making their own standards regardless of what the breed standard is supposed to be with nobody to govern them. Got a dog in my kennel right now, well I'll take a picture and tell you about it later.

The LRC doesn't have a say in how Labs are judged because they don't control the judges....AKC does that. LRC has nothing to do with judges, other than telling them to follow the standard...but the LRC can't enforce that, only AKC can, and they don't care as long as they get their dollars. If AKC gave a damn about the breed standard they wouldn't register dilutes either.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith