litter vaccinations?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: litter vaccinations?

Default litter vaccinations?

There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on vaccinating puppies (litters) - those who say start at 6 weeks, and those who say not til 8-9 weeks and others say not til 12 weeks (https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...f-puppy-shots/)?

I'd be curious to hear some thoughts from our 'RTF' veterinarians and long time breeders on the subject.
    Last edited by Tobias; 02-21-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I follow the 2006 AAHA vaccination guidelines which state vaccinations with a combination at 6, 9, 12 and 15 weeks. I use Vanguard Plus 5. They recommend that rabies be administered separate from the combo to reduce the chance of reactions. Same with Lepto.

I have a copy of the guidelines if you would like me to send it to you.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I follow the 2006 AAHA vaccination guidelines which state vaccinations with a combination at 6, 9, 12 and 15 weeks. I use Vanguard Plus 5. They recommend that rabies be administered separate from the combo to reduce the chance of reactions. Same with Lepto.

I have a copy of the guidelines if you would like me to send it to you.

Meredith
    would love to read it Meredith. Thank you!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I am close to what Meredith wrote, I do 6, 10, 14, 18. Rabies at 18 on a separate day, Lepto at 14 and 18 only.

Where did I put that soap box?? Here it is
    That link that Tobias put in is a comlete bunch of crap. There is no such disease as vaccinosis. The site says it only takes one vaccine for a puppy to get immunity, it has been clinically proven that it does indeed take a series, to get the pups immune system to respond and for the immunity they got from mom to decrease so they can respond to vaccines better. A practice I was at would test Dobies and Rotties and 20 weeks and 50% of them did not yet have a titer to parvo. Those breeds did not respond nearly as well to vaccines as others. Modern vaccines are better at overriding maternal antibodies and creating active immunity.
    That article is from the same anti-vaccine type group that is anti-human vaccine, those people are responsible for the increase in certain diseases and are putting the entire population at risk. All of there claims have NO real science behind them.
    Last edited by NateB; 02-21-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add info
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts and expertise -

I agree Nate - the antivaxxers are pretty good at throwing a lot of crap out there, I guess hoping some of it sticks.

I have a better idea now of what direction I will be going with Smarty's upcoming litter. Given the effort it was to get her bred (and pregnant, yay), I'd prefer to give the pups the best start they can have.

I vaccinate between 6- 6 1/2 weeks with DA2PP (distemper/ parvo) vaccine. I use Recombitek C4 and prefer it over the other brand options. My goal is to vaccinate a week before possible exposure, and I take pups for OFA eye exams and heart echos at 7 to 7 1/2 weeks which is a potential exposure. I also want pups weaned at a different time than vaccinating (don't combine stressful "events") so I wean at 5, vaccine at 6, check ups at 7, home at 8.

You need a minimum of 2 weeks between vaccines, so vaccinating at 6 weeks sets pups up for their next vaccine at 8-9 weeks of age, which is right after they go to their new homes. Most buyers want to take their pup for a checkup within 3 days of purchase and most vets want to vaccinate at that checkup. I try to set my pups up to be on a schedule that works smoothly after they go home.

The remaining puppy series needs to be a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 4 weeks apart. Vaccinating at 8, 12, 16, +/- 20 weeks works great. 9, 12, 15, 18 or 10, 14, 18.... lots of acceptable options. You need a minimum of 2 DA2PP vaccines over 12 weeks of age. I do rabies at 16 weeks. We don't have lepto or lyme in my area so I don't vaccinate for it.

I agree with everything Nate said about the dogs naturally website. Trash that.
    Last edited by IdahoLabs; 02-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA OAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX MXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (5 QQ, 38 T2B pts, 180 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush RN TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD NAP NJP TKN CGC
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

The current (2017) AAHA vaccine vaccination guidelines are here:

https://www.aaha.org/aaha-guidelines...nation-canine/

Claire DVM
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush RN TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

Thanks Claire! MWK sent me the guidelines as pdf - but I am sure others here will appreciate the link.

Had a vet tell me that they need only 3 puppy shots if vacinated after 15 weeks. So if done at 6, 9, and 12 he would do a fourth at 15 weeks????

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Had a vet tell me that they need only 3 puppy shots if vacinated after 15 weeks. So if done at 6, 9, and 12 he would do a fourth at 15 weeks????
    At least 2 over 12 weeks of age. You could have the last 2 vaccines at 12 and 15, so what you're told is accurate. I'm more comfortable with immunity if I have the last at 16, but 15 isn't wrong.

I do my own dogs out to 20 weeks. Parvo is bad stuff and my dogs probably have a higher risk of exposure than most.

Claire DVM
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush RN TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre