Puppy question
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Puppy question

Default Puppy question

Haven't been on her for a while, just brought home a new 8 week old pup and have a question. This will only be the second gun dog Iíve trained Iíve had dogs most of my life. My question is how to deal with extreme chewing? Iíve never seen a pup go after everything like this before. Right now Iíll just take away whatever he has and replace it with a chew toy, or take him outside to run around. I know I just need to be persistent but was wondering if anyone had any other tips. Sorry for the sideways pic.
    EC655A39-37FF-41C5-B7A0-854AF940786B.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Bully Sticks, Yak Bones, Kong Treat Bones and a variety of toys to chew on.

Also keep him either with you (via lead or 10 ft light rope) or crated/kenneled. IMO puppies should not have free reign of the house.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Thanks for the reply. I keep him with me when not kenneled.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JRinNE View Post
    Haven't been on her for a while, just brought home a new 8 week old pup and have a question. This will only be the second gun dog Iíve trained Iíve had dogs most of my life. My question is how to deal with extreme chewing? Iíve never seen a pup go after everything like this before. Right now Iíll just take away whatever he has and replace it with a chew toy, or take him outside to run around. I know I just need to be persistent but was wondering if anyone had any other tips. Sorry for the sideways pic.
    You're rewarding him for chewing with human behavior that does not clearly communicate your house rules (no chewing).

He should be crated and or ON LEASH (6') with you at all times, not given the opportunity to pick up items he shouldn't or chew things he shouldn't.

If he does get something in his mouth, gently grab the skin on his cheek and take it away. DO NOT REPLACE IT.

He can have a beef leg bone or stuffed Kong IN HIS CRATE ONLY.

That's the only place he's allowed to chew.

There should be no toys, bully sticks or other things available and he should not have the freedom to get them in the first place.

Don't make the mistake everyone makes of giving the dog too much freedom to early. You have 6 or more months of either crate or on a leash coming up. Get accustomed to that.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    You're rewarding him for chewing with human behavior that does not clearly communicate your house rules (no chewing).

He should be crated and or ON LEASH (6') with you at all times, not given the opportunity to pick up items he shouldn't or chew things he shouldn't.

If he does get something in his mouth, gently grab the skin on his cheek and take it away. DO NOT REPLACE IT.

He can have a beef leg bone or stuffed Kong IN HIS CRATE ONLY.

That's the only place he's allowed to chew.

There should be no toys, bully sticks or other things available and he should not have the freedom to get them in the first place.

Don't make the mistake everyone makes of giving the dog too much freedom to early. You have 6 or more months of either crate or on a leash coming up. Get accustomed to that.
    I agree with most of what you say and with the other posters above. Like most on here, I have had trained field dogs, retrievers, for many years. I currently have one 7 year old Golden and one 12 week old Golden.

Like most retrievers, especially field bred, they are very mouthy! I do not feed my dog in his crate, except I will throw a couple of kibbles in his crate as I give him the command 'kennel'. I do not put chews in his crate. When he chews on things like hands, carpets, shoes, etc. we quickly substitute with something he should chew and give him a 'No" command. His behavior at 12 weeks has already radically changed on his chewing. He still looses it over being really excited at times, but generally he is about 80% good on not chewing and a verbal command no, will stop him!

As you say he has no freedom, he is tethered to us or in his crate. We keep the crate where we are, so he still can watch and be part of our pack. This will probably be our last pup, since we both will be 70 this year. We both are in great health, but time is against us at this point. Life is good and we are blessed....and this new pup looks to have great potential....time will tell!
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 02-24-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRinNE View Post
    Haven't been on her for a while, just brought home a new 8 week old pup and have a question. This will only be the second gun dog I’ve trained I’ve had dogs most of my life. My question is how to deal with extreme chewing? I’ve never seen a pup go after everything like this before. Right now I’ll just take away whatever he has and replace it with a chew toy, or take him outside to run around. I know I just need to be persistent but was wondering if anyone had any other tips. Sorry for the sideways pic.
    My strategy with two retrievers puppies is similar to what you are doing. I kept all the tempting stuff like shoes, socks put away. Also wise not to let pup around valuable furniture until she has learned not to chew stuff up even on a leash - you will think they are sleeping on your feet but the next day you discover that a piranha has attacked the legs of the chair you were sitting on. I've used an x-pen (like a baby play yard) for the little puppies to have more room and to make it easier to interact with them spontaneously while I am home but am trying to work on other things like cook, clean, read, grade papers, and so on. Or I might baby-gate off a puppy-proofed room like the kitchen so the puppy can play will I sort of watch it while cooking, putting groceries away etc., yet not able to get into contraband though you gotta watch out they don't eat the cabinets. A lot of the chewing is boredom so sufficient exercise helps but they like to chew so soft but durable chew toys are a must.

Also do not set the x-pen up near valuable stuff when they are big enough to reach the top, chewed table top regards.
    Last edited by Renee P.; 02-24-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. I’ll definitely give some of these suggestions a try. Just never been around a pup this mouthy, it seems to never stop but we’ll work through it.

Anybody sprayed stuff with DEET (Backwoods OFF or similar) to spare wall boards, cabinets, etc. I have antiques and expensive upholstered furniture and like two puppies ago lightly sprayed the areas closest to the floor and never had a pup put a mouth near them since.

PS: Yes, I use all the precautions and practices mentioned above, but a momentary lapse could theoretically cost thousands of dollars. So...
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Anybody sprayed stuff with DEET (Backwoods OFF or similar) to spare wall boards, cabinets, etc. I have antiques and expensive upholstered furniture and like two puppies ago lightly sprayed the areas closest to the floor and never had a pup put a mouth near them since.

PS: Yes, I use all the precautions and practices mentioned above, but a momentary lapse could theoretically cost thousands of dollars. So...
    Seems like that could be potentially poisonous if ingested, although I have no doubt it would work.
    Darrin Greene