The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front finish

Quote Originally Posted by Wildonretrievers View Post
    Hi all,

I've got a 16 month old YLM that I am trying to work through 3 handed casting. He comes right back on "here", but doesn't front finish. I've been doing the drill with a rope, but when I get him to sit in front of me he faces off to the side instead of looking at me. I try to straighten him out by hand at this point, but it doesn't seem like he is understanding that I expect him to face me.

I've tried to go back and work on just "here" with front finish and I get this same behavior. I've tried using a hallway and that helps get him in the right spot, but he still tends to turn sideways/face away from me. It's almost like he isn't sure if he is supposed to sit there facing me or heel and sit so he just halfway does both in front of me. Any advice on a drill to fix this? This is my first dog and I'm trying to follow TRT.
    Just in case some that replied,,, didn't read the highlighted sentence..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hard to tell where you are. If you are doing simple casting where you teach right, left, and back from remote sit then one strategy is to move up on the dog when he is on way back from retrieve, after dog sits crooked you back up with "here" to straighten dog out. Rinse repeat till you get the straight sit. Eventually dog catches on.

This bill hillman video might help: https://billhillmann.net/beginning-a...ack-casting-1/

So , you sent you pup off to a pro for 6 months. Are you happy with the work the pro did?

If you are happy with the work the pro did on your pup you should be having phone conversations with your pro not seeking internet advice. Not that you will not get some very good advice here on the forum.. but it could be much easier on you and your pup if you forge ahead with the the person how was in the process of breaking your pup out.
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) MH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hi all,

I've got a 16 month old YLM that I am trying to work through 3 handed casting. He comes right back on "here", but doesn't front finish. I've been doing the drill with a rope, but when I get him to sit in front of me he faces off to the side instead of looking at me. I try to straighten him out by hand at this point, but it doesn't seem like he is understanding that I expect him to face me.

I've tried to go back and work on just "here" with front finish and I get this same behavior. I've tried using a hallway and that helps get him in the right spot, but he still tends to turn sideways/face away from me. It's almost like he isn't sure if he is supposed to sit there facing me or heel and sit so he just halfway does both in front of me. Any advice on a drill to fix this? This is my first dog and I'm trying to follow TRT.
    Sounds like you have a problem with sit? Does your dog sit to a whistle with 100% accuracy? If not, clean this up first! When he is return from a retrieve, stop him 10 yards in front of you, walk up and take the bumper (Enforcing the sit command). two days of this should solidify the front finish.

Solidify your basic's and transition work at each step before advancing! Some won't take the time to do it correctly, but will repeat the wrong message over and over again. This way of thinking will help you avoid holes in your program. Stay at it and you will have a dog of your dreams!

Application of interpretation from the best advice in text or visual can often be confusing , for those that have never had a dog before , let alone advice from those that have only had a few ,and never had to explain to someone who has the issue . Even Lardy , would have to see the handler and dog before he even gave a thought ..?
    Erlandson said " Show me , then I will give you my thoughts, you may not like them"
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Thanks for the tips. After trying to work with him earlier this week on the other drills mentioned I think some of the issue is coming from his sit not being 100%, like Malcolm said, so I tried to work on the four corners heeling with sits and then a few retrieves to see if I could stop him on the whistle. I recorded us today working, based on that I’m thinking maybe I should work on heel/sit until it’s crisp and then get the front finish? Didn’t have a cameraman and I ended up off screen for some of the sits so I know it’s a little hard to see everything that’s going on

youtu.be/8bzNgIPIbMo

I carry a walking stick & when the dog is on the return, simply plant the stick in front & to the side the pup wants to go to thus blocking him & funneling him into the front sit.

When he does it right, rub his chest & praise to bring his head up for a pleasing delivery.

The first 20 seconds reveals a big part of your problem. Find a competent training group and learn how to handle a dog. Learn how to maintain what was done with the dog. Learn what causes break downs and how to progress. Also your boring the dog to death with your healing drill. I'm not being mean with my comments. This all takes time to learn and every one starts out basically the same way with a learning curve. Stick with it long enough and you'll figure it out. No one here including me can solve this for you. Learn to be a student and it will come.

Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The first 20 seconds reveals a big part of your problem. Find a competent training group and learn how to handle a dog. Learn how to maintain what was done with the dog. Learn what causes break downs and how to progress. Also your boring the dog to death with your healing drill. I'm not being mean with my comments. This all takes time to learn and every one starts out basically the same way with a learning curve. Stick with it long enough and you'll figure it out. No one here including me can solve this for you. Learn to be a student and it will come.

Pete
    Thanks for the feedback. No hard feelings at all I just want to get better at training and honest feedback is invaluable. I just joined my local retriever club earlier this week to see how they handle their dogs and hopefully get more of that.

Do you have any advice on how to keep the dog less bored? I’ve got the Lardy articles like Gooser recommended and while he mentions keeping things exciting in the obedience article, actually doing that has been a challenge for me.

Do you have any advice on how to keep the dog less bored? I’ve got the Lardy articles like Gooser recommended and while he mentions keeping things exciting in the obedience article, actually doing that has been a challenge for me.
    Walk faster. I sometimes heel to music and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" is the perfect tempo for my male. Eye of the Tiger works pretty good too. Sometimes the marching band YouTube videos are the right tempo also. You'll just have to experiment to see what works best.

Do tons more turns (right turn, left turn, about turn, u turn, etc) and stops (halt, one step, halt, two steps, halt, etc). When you just amble in huge circles it gives your dog the opportunity to mentally check out. Make him work to stay with you. You've got to learn to be more interesting than grass, and get your dog to want to engage with you.

Talk to your dog. Tell him good whenever he's where he needs to be in heel position. Good heeling is hard to get so reward him whenever he has it right.

Pay attention to him. If you want 100% of his attention you need to give him 100% of yours. This is a 2 way street.

I'd suggest some obedience competition classes to get a feel for how to handle your dog. There's lots of spots where you lose his attention or he jumps on you and I don't think you realize it.

Keep taking videos and then critique yourself. I do it weekly and feel it helps my handling a ton.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA OAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX MXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (5 QQ, 38 T2B pts, 180 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush RN TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD NAP NJP TKN CGC
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre