Jim Gonia passed away last night.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Gonia passed away last night.

Default Jim Gonia passed away last night.

Long time professional dog trainer, Jim Gonia, passed away. Such a brief sentence tell of a person who was bigger than life in so many ways;the successes with the dogs he trained and competed with, the people who followed his training regime many,his and contribution to the field trial game was significant. I will leave it to others to write of the man, his life, the field trial game he had an influence in shaping.
    Last edited by Ironwood; 02-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    Daniel Shnitka

Believe in yourself, believe in your dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Long time professional dog trainer, Jim Gonia, passed away. Such a brief sentence tell of a person who was bigger than life in so many ways;the successes with the dogs he trained and competed with, the people who followed his training regime many,his and contribution to the field trial game was significant. I will leave it to others to write of the man, his life, the field trial game he had an influence in shaping.
    Wow. Incredibly sad to hear this news. RIP to Jim Gonia.

My condolences to his friends and family, he will be greatly missed.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Dang, I trained with him when I lived in WA. He was a great trainer and always nice to a novice like me. I am sorry to hear of his passing.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow" RIP (9/12/05-11/23/19)
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Wow. Sad and shocked at this news. Didn't know him well but have talked to him a few times and he and wife Jackie were very nice people.

Jimmy was the son of legendary trainer Roy Gonia. I have known him for 40 of his 68 years and I always looked forward to interacting with him. His dogs were talented and almost always reflected his style. He had a great sense of humor and dry wit and never a shortage of a funny story or joke. To my knowledge he was in good health and passed peacefully in his sleep. He will leave a huge void in the retriever world and PNW in particular. My sincere condolences to his friends and family members.
    Last edited by EdA; 02-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.

I heard this yesterday. I was hoping it wasn’t true I’m still at a loss for words. Prayers for Jackie and family.

Wanted to thank those who've commented thus far with personal reflections on Mr. Gonia, especially Dr. EdA and Wayne. When another gentleman known here as "Buzz" passed away suddenly a couple weeks ago, one poster complained that s/he found rtf despicable because so few people came forward publicly lamenting Buzz' passing. I don't think that to have been the case, yet it has troubled me ever since I saw the charge. I never knew Buzz other than his online handle and the "word in the blind" that he had bred some terrific pups. The folks who knew him - and who knew Mr. Jimmy Gonia and (the great) Mr. A. Nelson Sills - are kindly filling in their personal reflections to help us get to know what a loss their deaths are to the retriever and FT ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Jimmy was the son of legendary trainer Roy Gonia. I have known him for 40 of his 68 years andI always looked forward to interacting with him. His dogs were talented and almost always reflected his style. He had a great sense of humor and dry wit and never a shortage of a funny story or joke. To my knowledge he was in good health and passed peacefully in his sleep. He will leave a huge void in the retriever world and PNW in particular. My sincere condolences to his friends and family members.
    MG

I did not know Mr Gonia personally but I know many of his clients, contemporaries and associates. I also am very aware of the impact the Gonia family has had on the Field Trial game as we know it. All somebody has to do is look at that orange/clear whistle on your lanyard to see the Roy Gonia name.

DrA hit the nail on the head when he said it will leave a huge void in the NW.

My condolences to the Gonia family and all his personal friends and business associates and clients..

Mr Gonia's accomplishments speak for themselves, he will be missed by the game itself along with the people who cared and loved him
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Well that's just sad. What a shock. Condolences to his family, especially Jackie his wife.