Jim Gonia passed away last night. - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim Gonia passed away last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonny Taylor View Post
    It has. Been a long time since I have posted on this site but with this news I felt compelled to chime in. Previous posters are correct that we have lost a major contributor to our sport who's impact will be felt for along time. He did not write books or make videos but the dogs he trained and people such as myself that he helped and befriended will last forever. He was my mentor and more importantly my friend. He trained my first good competition dog and indirectly trained my other one by letting me include her in our workouts. He was a patient teacher and was willing to explain what we were working on with the dogs. His wife Jackie and I were good friends and played on a softball team together. When they started dating he would come watch us at our ball games and would not hesitate to heckle us good naturedly from the stands when we goofed but was there to cheer us on when we won a championship. We had alot of good times at the trials and would always give good advice and support when things didnt go well or was there to congratulate when we would kick butt. When I got married he was best man at my wedding and after that I moved to Kansas. My biggest regrets was leaving family, Jim and Jackie and all my other good friends in the retiever sport in the PNW. But I was ready to start a family. When I turned pro years later I always was able to call and quiz Jim about any problems I was having. It was a great resource to be able to ask one of the best in the business when you were stumped. But alot of times when I called he loved hearing about my kids and the things going on with them. I always loved listening to him tell stories about some of the grwat people in our sport. He was always honest and frank about what was going on. I could spend alot more time telling some great stories maybe another time. I never got to call to congratulate him on his well deserved HOF induction but was able to do via FB. If you walk thru that hall you could go that one and that one of the people and dogs that he had a part in putting them there. My heart aches for Jackie, Hillary, Stacey and all the other people that he also befriended. Will never forget you my friend RIP.
    We were just talking about you and your big giant hands last week. Lots of tears down here. We back to work. Would love to see you guys. Paul aka Happy Gilmore
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonny Taylor View Post
    It has. Been a long time since I have posted on this site but with this news I felt compelled to chime in. Previous posters are correct that we have lost a major contributor to our sport who's impact will be felt for along time. He did not write books or make videos but the dogs he trained and people such as myself that he helped and befriended will last forever. He was my mentor and more importantly my friend. He trained my first good competition dog and indirectly trained my other one by letting me include her in our workouts. He was a patient teacher and was willing to explain what we were working on with the dogs. His wife Jackie and I were good friends and played on a softball team together. When they started dating he would come watch us at our ball games and would not hesitate to heckle us good naturedly from the stands when we goofed but was there to cheer us on when we won a championship. We had alot of good times at the trials and would always give good advice and support when things didnt go well or was there to congratulate when we would kick butt. When I got married he was best man at my wedding and after that I moved to Kansas. My biggest regrets was leaving family, Jim and Jackie and all my other good friends in the retiever sport in the PNW. But I was ready to start a family. When I turned pro years later I always was able to call and quiz Jim about any problems I was having. It was a great resource to be able to ask one of the best in the business when you were stumped. But alot of times when I called he loved hearing about my kids and the things going on with them. I always loved listening to him tell stories about some of the grwat people in our sport. He was always honest and frank about what was going on. I could spend alot more time telling some great stories maybe another time. I never got to call to congratulate him on his well deserved HOF induction but was able to do via FB. If you walk thru that hall you could go that one and that one of the people and dogs that he had a part in putting them there. My heart aches for Jackie, Hillary, Stacey and all the other people that he also befriended. Will never forget you my friend RIP.
    We were just talking about you and your big giant hands last week. Lots of tears down here. We back to work. Would love to see you guys. Paul aka Happy Gilmore
    Crap.. actually I'm wrong. It was Willie from Canada Taylor we were talking about. Sorry... he has huge hands... lol..
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.

You are probably thinking about Willie Taylor from BC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Marvin can probably recount this tale more accurately but I will do my best given that I only heard Jimmy tell it once. It is illustrative of Jim’s personality, he who could make light of almost anything. When Jim’s dad Roy died it was his wish to be cremated and his ashes spread over the Washington countryside were he lived. Jimmy makes arrangements for a pilot and small plane to fly him so he could scatter Roy’s ashes. As Jimmy tells it they reached altitude and him, not having done sufficient research into such matters, attempted to empty the urn containing Roy’s ashes out the window whereupon they were promptly blown back into the airplane. Back to the municipal airport they go and the following conversation between Jimmy and his Mom ensues. Jimmy calls home and his Mom answers hello! Hey Mom this is Jim. Oh hi Jim, what’s up? Mom I need you to come down to the airport and bring the little shop vacuum. OK Jim, what’s with that? Well Mom when we tried to scatter Dad’s ashes they blew back into the plane and we need to vacuum them up and put them back in the urn. As the story continued that was done and eventually Roy’s ashes were distributed over the countryside.

My apologies for any inaccuracies in passing along a funny story about a sad time but that is much of what people who knew Jim much better than I feel, sad with a little smile. RIP big guy, you made the world a better place and left me personally with some fond memories.
    Last edited by EdA; 02-26-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Ed you have it pretty well correct. I beleive that Jay Walker was with him when that happened.

Thoughts and Prayers to all!!

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***