Quals, Derbies, etc.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quals, Derbies, etc.

Default Quals, Derbies, etc.

Can someone point me in the direction of a resource to teach me the difference in a qual, derby, hunt test, field trial, nationals, etc.? I’ve looked around on the “GOT” and didn’t find definitions for the different events. I’m seeing stuff like QAA, I understand it means “qualified all age”, but what does that denote. I apologize for such a tedious question, so a resource that I can read would be great. I’m guessing it’ll take some time to explain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

In the beginning God created field trials, and it was good. After a bit the owners of the dogs and estates wanted to run the dogs themselves instead of having their groomsmen and do it for them. And so, the amateur stakes of the field trials began. You would have the open or anyone could run. Professional retriever trainer or owner. You would have the amateur where as it sounds the non professional dog trainer and owner of the dog could compete against others of their ilk. Some opens we're not actually opens but limited or specials. So to get into those the qualifying stake was created. Wins in placements in the qualifying stake could make a dog qaa. And eligible to run in these restricted opens. And derbies are free young dogs under 2 years old. Field trials are all dog against dog a winner is selected. Then back in 1982/1983. Some folks thought of a new game based on the old game but instead of dog competing against dog it would be dog competing against a written standard. It was set up so the everyday folks the duck hunters who are already coming to field trials to work at them and help put them on would have a place to have fun with their dogs. To evaluate them against the standard producer registry of good hunting dogs. This was the formation of the hunt test. A group called the North American hunting retriever association teamed up with the AKC for one summer and put on field tests. The very next summer the AKC split and started its own game at the same time a group also left and went to another registry the UKC and the HRC hunt test game was formed. All of these groups have grands or invitationals that people at the top level qualify for and go to. and The originals the field trials have the national and national amateur. and when all is done and said it's all just dogs picking up stuff, or not.😎

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Niles Bora View Post
    In the beginning God created field trials, and it was good. After a bit the owners of the dogs and estates wanted to run the dogs themselves instead of having their groomsmen and do it for them. And so, the amateur stakes of the field trials began. You would have the open or anyone could run. Professional retriever trainer or owner. You would have the amateur where as it sounds the non professional dog trainer and owner of the dog could compete against others of their ilk. Some opens we're not actually opens but limited or specials. So to get into those the qualifying stake was created. Wins in placements in the qualifying stake could make a dog qaa. And eligible to run in these restricted opens. And derbies are free young dogs under 2 years old. Field trials are all dog against dog a winner is selected. Then back in 1982/1983. Some folks thought of a new game based on the old game but instead of dog competing against dog it would be dog competing against a written standard. It was set up so the everyday folks the duck hunters who are already coming to field trials to work at them and help put them on would have a place to have fun with their dogs. To evaluate them against the standard producer registry of good hunting dogs. This was the formation of the hunt test. A group called the North American hunting retriever association teamed up with the AKC for one summer and put on field tests. The very next summer the AKC split and started its own game at the same time a group also left and went to another registry the UKC and the HRC hunt test game was formed. All of these groups have grands or invitationals that people at the top level qualify for and go to. and The originals the field trials have the national and national amateur. and when all is done and said it's all just dogs picking up stuff, or not.
    Well said, Ken
    Ray K

HR UH Princess Lillian Vl MH
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke MH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NurseTank View Post
    Can someone point me in the direction of a resource to teach me the difference in a qual, derby, hunt test, field trial, nationals, etc.? I’ve looked around on the “GOT” and didn’t find definitions for the different events. I’m seeing stuff like QAA, I understand it means “qualified all age”, but what does that denote. I apologize for such a tedious question, so a resource that I can read would be great. I’m guessing it’ll take some time to explain.

If you are going to play a sport, you need to look at the Rule governing that sport. Here is a link to the AKC Rule Book for Retriever Field Trials.
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

That helps a great deal. Mr. Ken, if I may get your take or anyone else’s...
    Is one or the other best to start with for a novice trainer/handler? I’m Picking up a pup in a few weeks and getting going, but I’ll have a pro trainer after the first few months. I’d like to get good enough to train a dog completely at some point. I am fired up about the possibility of competing in different venues, but I’m curious if one is better for the novice over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

If you are going to play a sport, you need to look at the Rule governing that sport. Here is a link to the AKC Rule Book for Retriever Field Trials.
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf

Ted
    Thanks Ted. I’ll read up on this and the UKC rules. Is one better for a novice to get started or just go for it?

Many feel the best start is to find the retriever club closest to you and if not join at least go to and observe some of the events they are putting on be thay field trials field tests or hunts tests. Find in this group of people smaller groups to play fetch with. With the club and the circle of friends you will make you may or may not choose to start in whatever events they are hosting. Often these clubs will have a fun event not even licensed like a gun dog stake. These are great for getting your feet wet. But use caution this is addictive. You're going to be driving down the road looking at the scenery and instead of thinking what a nice field you will be thinking who owns that can I get permission to run dogs? your clutter is about to increase like you never thought possible.

Most people new to the retriever game start with hunt tests (AKC, HRC, NAHRA). Some want to go beyond the Master level, and cross over to qualified all-age field trials. For those who are susceptible, the addiction takes hold and they go as far as their dog and money/time will take them.

Meredith

Try them both, see what you like, where you fit in and what you can and want to do as you go.

If you train your dog to do field trials it is not hard to transition it to do hunting tests.