AKC Hunting tests:
    Junior: Passed elementary school
    Senior: Passed Junior High School
    Master: High School graduate

Field Trial:
    Derby: Gifted and talented
    Qualified all age: BS or BA in college
    Open/Am: Rhodes scholar material
    Uh oh!! I may be in trouble!! The dog may one day be a Rhodes Scholar, but for this handler, I’m in about 2nd grade, maybe 3rd. I’ve got some cAtching up to do. Lol

[QUOTE=NateB;2197580]Aside from the details of the difference between hunt test and field trials in the way they run and are judged, I believe that there is a significantly different mind set needed. I started in hunt tests many years ago just to get a JH title on my bitch. As you mentioned I got hooked. A couple other novices around me got together and with the advent of training materials, in my case the Lardy series, we took our dogs to the MH levels. At hunt tests I expected to pass as I trained to a higher standard, so the test was simple compared to our training. We were able to do this training 2-4 times a week all of us had a family and jobs.
    When I hit field trials I had an epiphany, had to handle my dog on the last bird of the fourth series of a qual, it took us out of a very possible placement. As I was walking back to the truck I was frustrated, thinking this game is over my head, the need for grounds, technical water, etc. But then it hit me, as I walked pass a few very accomplished field trialers. Here I am competing and I train on public grounds, very part time, but I was right there. I realized that my mind set needed to be, similar when I ran 10ks in college. I not going to “win”, but can I do better than last time, someday when everything falls right we will get something. The next year that same dog placed in an Amateur, was the only dog in the last series to stay in the water all the way to the birds. The gallery applauded, and it was a good thing I was wearing sunglasses. There were people who won nationals in that crowd applauding my dog. We got 4th but that moment still gives me chills. That’s why I keep trying to get that feeling again. But still have the mindset of using the trial as a test of weaknesses we need to work on. But when you get a ribbon, for someone in my situation, it’s huge win.[/QUOT

Well said Nate you understand the feeling. You only need to change one thing about your mind set. Go to the line thinking you Are going to win! Actually when I go to the line I have only one thing in mind and that is what do me and the dawg have to do to complete the THAT test. One test one mark at a time. After completing the test I decide if I might win or if Im just there to survive and play the game, or of course being a spectator for the rest of the trial.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Well said Nate you understand the feeling. You only need to change one thing about your mind set. Go to the line thinking you Are going to win! Actually when I go to the line I have only one thing in mind and that is what do me and the dawg have to do to complete the THAT test. One test one mark at a time. After completing the test I decide if I might win or if Im just there to survive and play the game, or of course being a spectator for the rest of the trial.
    I hear you Steve, I do try to just focus on the job at hand, how the judges see it is out of my hands. Like shooting sporting clays, focus only on the targets, if I start thinking about score, then I get into trouble. Have not competed in a couple years due to "other" issues, really looking forward to getting back to it this year. Have a male that will be 3 in May that is a heck of a marker. Working on blinds now, slow but steady progress, he is behind my expected schedule due to those issues, but we are getting there. Regardless of what happens its a great journey.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

I echo what Steve wrote. I recommend that you register on EntryExpress.Net. Entry Express is the clearinghouse where All Field Trials and many Hunt Tests are listed. You can find events throughout the country near you. If you live in Houston, there is a Field Trial - Bluebonnet - held March 27-29 in Anderson, Texas, which is about an hour and a half from Houston
    I got on and registered. I didn’t realize how many tests and trials are around. It seems that the lower levels are more easily entered. The MH tests always seem to fill up, and I’m seeing threads here about it as well. I saw a FB post that a group of pros are getting together and doing a massive MH Test soon. They said it’s an effort to open more availability for the MH level. It’s good to see folks wanting to give back to clubs and individuals. Many thanks for the reply’s, advice, and PMs. Looking forward to meeting some of you out in the field.