Quals, Derbies, etc. - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Quals, Derbies, etc.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    2,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NurseTank View Post
    That helps a great deal. Mr. Ken, if I may get your take or anyone else’s...
    Is one or the other best to start with for a novice trainer/handler? I’m Picking up a pup in a few weeks and getting going, but I’ll have a pro trainer after the first few months. I’d like to get good enough to train a dog completely at some point. I am fired up about the possibility of competing in different venues, but I’m curious if one is better for the novice over the other.



    Go to both and see what you like. Which is best for a novice? I guess it depends on your taste but don not let being a novice restrict your choice. Being a novice is fine in either but FT take more dedication, time and money to be competitive. I started in HT and now prefer to run FT for many reasons. If you train for the top level anything before that will be fairly simple. Living in TX you should have ample opportunity to see both.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Junior Member jeffro3967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Spring Branch, TX
    Posts
    22

    Default

    You mentioned you were going to send the dog to a pro. If you already have a pro in mind then see what he/she trains for and runs, and go watch them run. Looking for local clubs and training groups is also a good idea and a great way to see a multitude of training styles.

  4. #23
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Go to both and see what you like. Which is best for a novice?.

    I echo what Steve wrote. I recommend that you register on EntryExpress.Net. Entry Express is the clearinghouse where All Field Trials and many Hunt Tests are listed. You can find events throughout the country near you. If you live in Houston, there is a Field Trial - Bluebonnet - held March 27-29 in Anderson, Texas, which is about an hour and a half from Houston
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    Aside from the details of the difference between hunt test and field trials in the way they run and are judged, I believe that there is a significantly different mind set needed. I started in hunt tests many years ago just to get a JH title on my bitch. As you mentioned I got hooked. A couple other novices around me got together and with the advent of training materials, in my case the Lardy series, we took our dogs to the MH levels. At hunt tests I expected to pass as I trained to a higher standard, so the test was simple compared to our training. We were able to do this training 2-4 times a week all of us had a family and jobs.
    When I hit field trials I had an epiphany, had to handle my dog on the last bird of the fourth series of a qual, it took us out of a very possible placement. As I was walking back to the truck I was frustrated, thinking this game is over my head, the need for grounds, technical water, etc. But then it hit me, as I walked pass a few very accomplished field trialers. Here I am competing and I train on public grounds, very part time, but I was right there. I realized that my mind set needed to be, similar when I ran 10ks in college. I not going to “win”, but can I do better than last time, someday when everything falls right we will get something. The next year that same dog placed in an Amateur, was the only dog in the last series to stay in the water all the way to the birds. The gallery applauded, and it was a good thing I was wearing sunglasses. There were people who won nationals in that crowd applauding my dog. We got 4th but that moment still gives me chills. That’s why I keep trying to get that feeling again. But still have the mindset of using the trial as a test of weaknesses we need to work on. But when you get a ribbon, for someone in my situation, it’s huge win.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

  7. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Aside from the details of the difference between hunt test and field trials in the way they run and are judged, I believe that there is a significantly different mind set needed. I started in hunt tests many years ago just to get a JH title on my bitch. As you mentioned I got hooked. A couple other novices around me got together and with the advent of training materials, in my case the Lardy series, we took our dogs to the MH levels. At hunt tests I expected to pass as I trained to a higher standard, so the test was simple compared to our training. We were able to do this training 2-4 times a week all of us had a family and jobs.
    When I hit field trials I had an epiphany, had to handle my dog on the last bird of the fourth series of a qual, it took us out of a very possible placement. As I was walking back to the truck I was frustrated, thinking this game is over my head, the need for grounds, technical water, etc. But then it hit me, as I walked pass a few very accomplished field trialers. Here I am competing and I train on public grounds, very part time, but I was right there. I realized that my mind set needed to be, similar when I ran 10ks in college. I not going to “win”, but can I do better than last time, someday when everything falls right we will get something. The next year that same dog placed in an Amateur, was the only dog in the last series to stay in the water all the way to the birds. The gallery applauded, and it was a good thing I was wearing sunglasses. There were people who won nationals in that crowd applauding my dog. We got 4th but that moment still gives me chills. That’s why I keep trying to get that feeling again. But still have the mindset of using the trial as a test of weaknesses we need to work on. But when you get a ribbon, for someone in my situation, it’s huge win.
    We need a "like" button for this ^^^^.
    Last edited by Windjammer; 02-26-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    -Mike

  8. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    44

    Default

    The more I read on this thread the more fired up I’m getting!! I’CE spoken with the trainer, who is also the breeder, and he is going to allow me to work with him, while he trains my pup. I’m finding that trainers are typically happy to have the owners come by and train, I guess because it shows respect for their craft and not wanting to screw up their hard work. I learned with my first dog, that I got when he was 2 years old, that most of the problems we ran in to were my fault. I am still a novice but hoping to up my game significantly. I had the privilege of going to a training day here in Houston, I say privilege because they allowed me to join though I don’t yet have a dog, and they were ready to teach and give advice as well. I am ticked that I didn’t follow through with my first dog and actually enter the training arena that exists. I was content to have a dog that would pick up a bird for me. I’m finding that watching these other dogs that they enjoy the challenge as do the handlers.
    I’M FIRED UP!!!
    I appreciate the many comments and insights. I’m happy to keep this thread going, it may end up being something that will help other “newbs” to the world of retriever training.

  9. #27
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,066

    Default

    You have a GREAT attitude! You are going to have a LOT of fun..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

  10. #28
    Senior Member David Maddox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston,TX
    Posts
    1,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    I echo what Steve wrote. I recommend that you register on EntryExpress.Net. Entry Express is the clearinghouse where All Field Trials and many Hunt Tests are listed. You can find events throughout the country near you. If you live in Houston, there is a Field Trial - Bluebonnet - held March 27-29 in Anderson, Texas, which is about an hour and a half from Houston
    Nurse,
    CONGRATS on your new yellow baby!!! Very nice pedigree. Yes, you will have a lot of fun!!!
    ***I will be heading to the Bluebonnet Trial in Anderson. You can pm me anytime.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 02-26-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

    Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

    RIP My girls Jiggy, and sweet mamas Dancy and Tip. We love and miss you all!!!

  11. #29
    Senior Member Mark Littlejohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Conroe, Tx
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    I echo what Steve wrote. I recommend that you register on EntryExpress.Net. Entry Express is the clearinghouse where All Field Trials and many Hunt Tests are listed. You can find events throughout the country near you. If you live in Houston, there is a Field Trial - Bluebonnet - held March 27-29 in Anderson, Texas, which is about an hour and a half from Houston
    Correction Ted, our trial is this weekend (28th - 1st).
    See:https://www.entryexpress.net/LoggedI...aspx?eid=10827

    NurseTank, come out and find me this weekend (how far can you throw a duck?). You should call Maddox and talk dogs.

    Mark

  12. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I’ll PM you, Mark. I can’t do this weekend, but I’m definitely up to help out in the future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •