one flyer in Master tests or Qualifying tests
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: one flyer in Master tests or Qualifying tests

Default one flyer in Master tests or Qualifying tests

I am not a fan. I would much rather have two flyers to work with when I'm judging.

I'm very interested in the opinions of other judges. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Paul,
    You already know my thoughts , we offer 2 flyers for Open , Amateur, Qualifying, Derby , Master , Senior and Junior at all our licensed events. There are times when the judges have chosen not to use them but we have them available and encourage their use.
    As a judge , I will use one on land and one on water whenever it is safe and make sense to the setup.
    Last edited by Bob Walton; 02-29-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Even more fun is Pheasant flyer on land and duck on water. And go even further, have both flyers come out of the same station just like a flock of birds over decoys. One left and then a longer one rt. I held this one a while wondering if I should bugger up the thread, sorry if i did...
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet
    I love my labs because I am not smart enough to train a golden and not tough enough to train a chessie. Just ask any of the "Bitches with Bumpers"

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

OK So I'm not a judge but if you have the money and time to campaign a dog at either level, you have the $20/dog to pay for the second bird. Clubs just need to increase the price and be done.

This idea what we have to worry about entry fees when most people roll up in $60,000 - $120,000 rigs is ridiculous.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    OK So I'm not a judge but if you have the money and time to campaign a dog at either level, you have the $20/dog to pay for the second bird. Clubs just need to increase the price and be done.

This idea what we have to worry about entry fees when most people roll up in $60,000 - $120,000 rigs is ridiculous.

My $5k rig disagrees. Hahaha!!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I HATE fliers. I would love to run in Canada where there are no fliers. It is the most unfair mark in a trial. Inconsistent falls, crippled birds, no birds, who needs them or wants them.
    David Zalunardo

FC AFC Parriette's Abby Gale - 2014 NARC Finalist
    Parriette's Maxi Mag - up and comer (I hope)

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right"

Quote Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
    I HATE fliers. I would love to run in Canada where there are no fliers. It is the most unfair mark in a trial. Inconsistent falls, crippled birds, no birds, who needs them or wants them.
    Myself and everyone else I know in the sport wants at least one per week.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I am not a fan. I would much rather have two flyers to work with when I'm judging.

I'm very interested in the opinions of other judges. -Paul
    Paul, your out of order flier down in Jacksonville HT a couple of weeks ago in the first series was a disaster. Many dogs had a "bowling ball" flier. The dogs couldn't see the flier through two cover strips when it came out flat. Moreover, the handlers couldn't see the dog to handle it effectively to the bird as they 1.), didn't see where the flier landed, and 2.), couldn't see their dogs when handling to a hidden flier. A number of handlers where asked to pick up their dogs because of the faulty flier. I ran dog #1 and had a "bowling ball" flier. The dog NEVER saw it. As my dog was sent for the go bird, I politely said to your co-judge, "it would be nice to get that flier in the air"....your co-judge flippantly responded, "then you need to go out and throw the flier"....what a BS response from a judge!!! My response was "I'll go throw the flier when I'm finished running my dogs".

You finally started calling no-birds on the "bowling ball flier". As the frustration mounted with multiple no birds, the gallery was asked "is there anyone that can throw a flier?"
    I volunteered and was ready to go help, when the club had a member that volunteered. After that person went out and threw the flier, there were ZERO...bowling ball fliers or no-birds!!

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for multiple fliers in a Master Test. Just make sure you get the first flier right, before you ask for a second!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    ...you have the $20/dog to pay for the second bird. Clubs just need to increase the price and be done. ..
    Why? The regulations and guidelines state two live birds per entry are provided to the judges to use as they see fit now.

It seems every retriever club has one or two people, sometimes only one or two people.who are able to throw a live bird all the way across the meadow all day long. and when that person switches out and someone tries to replace them it's just a cluster chuck. Modern tosser technology has come so far. Clubs just need to put their live bird in one of the new tossers. And then it will not matter if it's Grandma grunt or Heracles. The throw will be high and far and consistent. Step out of the Stone age kids and let a gadget toss your duck.