The game - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The game

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Well first off I just gotta say your about 2 years and 10 months behind the GAME. I don't charge $100/hr and my advice is free so take it for what its worth.
    So this must have been the hurtful part.

Can we break it down even more? Are there certain trigger words we need to avoid using in the future?
    If there is one thing I hate, it's a crying snowflake.
    https://youtu.be/Gf8jbzpl-yw
    Last edited by drunkenpoacher; 03-16-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If you can get some pheasant or duck wings, tape them to the bumper. Worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Steve said, "Well first off I just gotta say your about 2 years and 10 months behind the GAME."

So this must have been the hurtful part.

Can we break it down even more? Are there certain trigger words we need to avoid using in the future?
    If there is one thing I hate, it's a crying snowflake.

I think it was the fact that Steve was stating the obvious and that the OP had already indicated the dog was 3 and had only retrieved tennis balls to this point in time. Technically, the OP is not 'behind', the dog is. The OP has only had the dog 2 weeks. He asked a pretty basic question - how do I get this dog to like bumpers more, given the dog's past, present, and predisposition......The OP is not the one that has trained the dog to this point so why say 'you're behind'?

In the end, maybe that is how Steve meant for his post to sound, maybe not... I don't know. The way it came across to me was 'you're an idiot for allowing this to happen in the first place', and if the OP had owned the dog up to this point, yeah... maybe a deserved criticism.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sometime the truth hurts.Hope Steve sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    WELL EXCUUUUUSSSE ME!!!!!!!!!

Sorry didn't mean to make you cry I was truly trying to be helpful. You have reminded me why I should not bother coming here either!! No need to worry Im done with this internet dog training BS. Im taking my tennis ball and go play somewhere else. Love to say a whole lot more here but what I have to say would just get deleted anyway. What a baby.
    What did you say that was wrong? I thought you were right on the money. I believe that person either read it wrong or something, any way you are deserving of an apology, the advice you gave was right on target.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Renee, I too miss Alec! He and Pete were diamonds!
    Nice to know I'm missed! *a single tear rounds down my cheek*

Training professionally 28 years now and just talking with Chris A and we figured out we were on the original RTF around 1997....

If anything I'm more curious about training concepts and thinking outside the box now than I ever was. Something that I'm sure would cause a fair bit of cognitive dissonance around here.

Not professionally, I started working with some K9/protection/bite dogs a few years ago and now own a couple Malinois along with my lab and pointer. Clearly not a serious retriever trainer.

Thanks for thinking of me and play nice.

This is what's great about internet dog training or the internet in general , you do not have to look a person the face , you can simply write your reply and move on .

Was Steves advice helpful , in my opinion no. Could be reality but depending on what Ace wants to do with his pup , if he simply wants to transition the pup over to retrieving bummpers and possibly birds , very doable. The fact that the pup is crazy to retrieve tennis balls demonstrates some prey drive.

I often read threads on RTF about the lack of participation , well we can foster participation or we can simply write snippy little replies and then we will have the same 6 folks participating.
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) MH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Alec, if you ever find yourself in the southeastern part of the country, i would love the chance to spend some time with you. I love your attitude and outlook on training.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Quote Originally Posted by Renee P. View Post
    Welp this is just me, regular Renee not Moderator Renee.

Still being that I am also known as Moderator Renee I am moderating my response in advance of the moderator having to moderate me.

In 2011 I got a little retriever puppy, full of retrieving desire...I got her hoping that she had passed all of the health check boxes after my dog Sophie got diagnosed with PRA (late onset genetic blindness). My goal was meat dog that hunted a couple times a year, was nice house pet.

Oh boy, what a ride. Steve was one of the first locals to help me out. He is like one of the nicest guys around. Just yesterday we/I were teasing him about how mean he was - this was supposed to be ironic cuz I have actually never seen Steve be anywhere near mean except once when I was training with Steve and his dog Bill cut up the hillside and backside the retired gun.

Meanwhile thanks to help from Steve my little girl Anna got some Derby points, even won one. She got her AKC MH, won an Am. I got a lot of help from Steve and other locals, also I got a lot of help here on the RTF - listened and learned.

Pete, your responses are Gold, I wish you checked in more.

Where did Alec Sparks go, I loved his input as well. Especially Pete vs Alec.

Stepping off my high horse regards...
    Thanks Renee I'll try but like Alec I have drifted so far from the box I will cause mayhem then people will need to find a safe place lol. May be Alec can talk about developing the bite and I can counter that by talking about how to extinguish it. Great advances here being made in that field a big upgrade from my old program. May be someday there will be a need to discuss it on retriever forum who knows.

Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I think it was the fact that Steve was stating the obvious and that the OP had already indicated the dog was 3 and had only retrieved tennis balls to this point in time. Technically, the OP is not 'behind', the dog is. The OP has only had the dog 2 weeks. He asked a pretty basic question - how do I get this dog to like bumpers more, given the dog's past, present, and predisposition......The OP is not the one that has trained the dog to this point so why say 'you're behind'?

In the end, maybe that is how Steve meant for his post to sound, maybe not... I don't know. The way it came across to me was 'you're an idiot for allowing this to happen in the first place', and if the OP had owned the dog up to this point, yeah... maybe a deserved criticism.

I feel I must respond to the negativity that I seem to have generated here.
    I do not understand it. In my one short sentence everything I said was factual and I will not apologize for one single word but I will attempt to explain. It was not meant as criticism. Every single word was factual and imo sound advice. It seems that the statement of being 2 years and 10 months behind the game is what started the tears. That sentence was only meant to emphasize the ground that needs to be made up and there is a lot of it. To put dog training simple it is all about building habits and bad ones seem to be easier to learn than good ones. PREVIOUS OWNER, NOT CURRENT OWNER, I feel I must emphasize this, has created 3 years of bad habit which will be hard to break.
    I got my first computer and started with a new dog at the same time. That was 1998. I had used my dogs for hunting before that but knew nothing about real training. I was green as green gets. I typed in Labrador on my computer and was amazed at where it took me. I first came to the Working Retriever Central forum and that was clearly not the place for me at the time. When people there told me how wrong I was I argued back instead of getting my feelings hurt. That's when a couple people like Unca Jerry and a guy from CO named Joe Olsen directed me to RTF and told me it may be more to my liking. I remember Joe had the most beautiful picture of a black dog with a pheasant I have ever seen as his avatar. This was even before Chris took over this site. Some guy named Dave from TX ran the site. I say this because I have been on RTF for 22 years now and I owe everything to this site. If I didn't directly learn it here I was directed to material elsewhere. So I almost feel obligated to pay it back. Also dogs and talking dogs is kind of an addiction. I also still come here because dog training for the trainer as well as the dog never ends and there is always something that can be learned.
    If the original poster thought I was being mean he should have met the likes of Shane and Angie Becker back in the old days of RTF. Now days I don't have much time for RTF. Mostly just waiting for the sun to come up in the morning. Im not a real social person, guess that is obvious by my statements and the way they are perceived and I prefer the company of my dogs to most people so I come here mostly for the dogs. I spend more time here than I should so responding to this kind of crap is wasting even more of my time.
    In closing the bolded statement from Tobias above was NOT at all the way it is meant. I know he is new to the dog and not responsible for where it is at but I do think he is a bit of an (OOPS better not say that) for his response.