The game - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The game

I know the topic of this thread went sideways somewhere on page 1, but I'll offer my advice on the OP.
    I have heard of a few people using a "tennis ball like bumper" to make the transition to real bumpers. The texture and color make the dog at ease since they are familiar. But the shape helps the transition. Once they are good with this dummy, then a few weeks later start working in regular bumpers.

https://www.chewy.com/kong-airdog-fe...g-toy/dp/44295
    Joel Williams

HRCH Halloween Honey's Axle Rose JH

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    So I almost feel obligated to pay it back.
    You give back plenty and it is appreciated.

I used to have a signature line that, to my amusement, irritated some people. If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it is the truth?
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

I don't think an apology necessary Steve.. just clarification.. written communication is or can be a difficult method of expressing one's thoughts so that others grasp the meaning. Just look at how written (and spoken) words are misunderstood and put on spin every day. Heck - even someone I consider a friend here totally takes my words and puts them in her own spin cycle.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Alec, if you ever find yourself in the southeastern part of the country, i would love the chance to spend some time with you. I love your attitude and outlook on training.
    I've been wintering in the Southern Pines area for the past 10 years!

Just got back to VT yesterday a couple weeks ahead of my usual return date...for obvious reasons.

Hope you are well.

That Joe Olsen Guy from Colorado has influenced more folks than he will eber know.. I is one of them..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

IMHO to the OP..

You NOW have to figger out a way to make the BUMPER WAY more special or fun ,,than a toy or ball.. My dog retrieves toys,balls, hammers, backpacks, woodscraps.. birds.. She will sweep the shop floor.. I have pictures..

You must find a way to make that bumper special..

It may just be, taking the dog on walks away from where you play with toys,,and making those walks in a special place fun.. Gradually workin thowing a bumper.. You may need to become a very happy and animated person when Bumpers are involved! Not some statue!! PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!! MAKE THAT BUMPER SPECIAL!! MAKE it SPECIAL to YOU! Store it in a closet,,and show the dog that's where you go to get it before the walks.. pretty soon,, I bet the dog sits at the closet door waiting for you to open it.. Be a FUN GUY!! Wear a speedo when you train!! It really helped me!!

Dont give the dog a bunch of throws once it thinks the walks and bumper are fun.. make that bumper her special "TOY"

As you get into the training,, you will get to a step that will take the "Ask" outa the situation,,and the sun will indeed shine brighter..

You will need thick skin... To protect you from the dogs rebellion,,and the good natured people, that only want to help.. Some are just really "passionate"

Gooser

P.S.. Thick skin,and BIG ears!
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-17-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Here's one thing I've used to make bumpers more appealing to a young or ineperienced dog: Go to a local park and pick up a few freshly shed Canada goose feathers (the ones that look like quill pens, not the down!); Attach them to the bumper with a few rubber bands or durable tape. Usually (but not always) this—combined with a voice filled with excitement and waving the bumper around—has done the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams38930 View Post
    I have heard of a few people using a "tennis ball like bumper" to make the transition to real bumpers. The texture and color make the dog at ease since they are familiar. But the shape helps the transition........]
    Doesn't the glue that holds the fuzz on the tennis ball do something bad to the dogs? Cancer or poison or something or other? I would just go straight to wing clipped pigeons.

I have used paint rollers with all my dogs while they were teething with no negative health issues. I would think they would be fine as a transition to bumpers for this dog. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

An old Pro/Breeder I once bought a pup from and trained with was adamant about never using sticks or balls with retrievers that are going to play the game.

His claim was "it will cause problems."

Neve fully explained the problems, just constantly told us that.
    In fact, in a hand out with his puppies, he specifically addressed the issue with a full paragraph.
    If I can find it, I'll take a picture and post it.

Not a solution, just an old schoolers approach.

I like (and have used) the idea of starting with paint rollers.
    Not heavy, easy on the teeth.

Generate some excitement with them.
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold