Marking and ignoring scent?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Marking and ignoring scent?

Default Marking and ignoring scent?

Master Hunter land triple. Marks are all ducks.
    5 mph Wind left to right.
    Flyer shot into the wind as #1 Mark. (75 yards from line)
    #2 longer middle mark dead bird thrown thrown with the wind (125 yards from line)
    #3 right mark dead bird thrown with the wind. (125 yards from line)

Most handlers pick up #3 as the go bird, then the flyer as secondary selection.
    The last memory bird is in line with the scent pool of the live flyer boxes,
    so the dog must "ignore his nose" as he punches through that
    scent pool of freshly shot flyers, and live flyers, to the long dead bird memory mark.

Is there anything in the rule book about this type of test?
    As a judge would you object to this type of test if your co-judge suggests it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Verbyla View Post
    Master Hunter land triple. Marks are all ducks.
    5 mph Wind left to right.
    Flyer shot into the wind as #1 Mark. (75 yards from line)
    #2 longer middle mark dead bird thrown thrown with the wind (125 yards from line)
    #3 right mark dead bird thrown with the wind. (125 yards from line)

Most handlers pick up #3 as the go bird, then the flyer as secondary selection.
    The last memory bird is in line with the scent pool of the live flyer boxes,
    so the dog must "ignore his nose" as he punches through that
    scent pool of freshly shot flyers, and live flyers, to the long dead bird memory mark.

Is there anything in the rule book about this type of test? As far as I can determine, no. However, judges are expected to draw on their experience when judging.
    As a judge would you object to this type of test if your co-judge suggests it? Yes, I would. Ducks don't fly well into the wind. They will immediately be hooking left or right, and the feathers will scent the area on the 'wrong' side of the mark, as well. They should be thrown downwind in relation to the gunners.
    I much prefer a flyer shot out of the test, either as the longest or next longest bird, which allows it to be a mark with substance, instead of a distraction/breaking bird. I also like to throw marks downwind or nearly downwind in relation to the line, but sometimes the wind is fickle and swirly. For Master tests, I like to use crosswinds on the blinds, with features that multiply the wind's effect. -Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 03-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I can't think of anything in the rulebook that would prohibit this test.

Takes a well seasoned dog to know when, and when not to, ignore his nose. S/he also needs to be very confident in that middle mark and be hell-bent on going directly to the AOF.

I'd rather throw this flyer into the wind out of the test as described, vs moving it downwind (as the RH mark) and throwing it into the test, unless i had ample room and the right terrain to get away with it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If thrown into the wind, where will all the feathers and blood scent from the flyer end up?

I would make the flyer the right hand bird, thrown with the left to right wind described. The other 2 marks could be thrown any direction, but I would prefer the middle bird to be thrown left to right, and the left bird to be thrown right to left, which would leave plenty of room between them so the poor markers can set up a hunt where there is no bird to be found. Shoot it around the horn, left to right and let them see everything, if they are paying attention.

Save the scent problems for the blind(s).-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 03-20-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    I can't think of anything in the rulebook that would prohibit this test.

Takes a well seasoned dog to know when, and when not to, ignore his nose. S/he also needs to be very confident in that middle mark and be hell-bent on going directly to the AOF.

I'd rather throw this flyer into the wind out of the test as described, vs moving it downwind (as the RH mark) and throwing it into the test, unless i had ample room and the right terrain to get away with it.
    Spot on! A good master level dog should push through to the mark.

still dont understand how