Hunt Tests and Field Trials - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 103

Thread: Hunt Tests and Field Trials

  1. #11
    Senior Member Good Dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    We are in the midst of a global pandemic. There is an exponential growth of a disease that has killed thousands. The stock market is crashing. The world economy is entering a recession.

    I think cancelling field trials is the socially responsible thing to do. I have a hard time generating much interest in EE refunds at the moment.

    Ted
    Have to agree 100% with Ted. That refund fee is inconsequential compared to the projected economic and human costs of this pandemic. Remember also the unpleasant fact that older folks are in the most susceptible cohort. That covers a lot of us. Hunker down and stay safe. Dogs should get a lot of training this season, as they sure won't be running many events.
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South of Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    8,555

    Default

    100% agreement with Ted. This is bigger than any of us.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Halls, Tn.
    Posts
    4,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    We are in the midst of a global pandemic. There is an exponential growth of a disease that has killed thousands. The stock market is crashing. The world economy is entering a recession.

    I think cancelling field trials is the socially responsible thing to do. I have a hard time generating much interest in EE refunds at the moment.

    Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Have to agree 100% with Ted. That refund fee is inconsequential compared to the projected economic and human costs of this pandemic. Remember also the unpleasant fact that older folks are in the most susceptible cohort. That covers a lot of us. Hunker down and stay safe. Dogs should get a lot of training this season, as they sure won't be running many events.
    Thanks Ted and Bob for the posts. First, I did not start the thread to be critical or judgemental of anyone or group. I agree with the both of you that the situation is very serious. That being said, I do think that there needs to be a great deal of thought so that chaos might be minimumized. Frankly I think it may very well be that we may not see HT's or FT's until May or even until June.

    Ted, the FT game does not have to deal with limited entry. But I do know that there are those that desire to qualfy for the Nationals. I have no idea what the requirements are to qualify but I would hope that those responsible, will think about having plans about what to do, based on how long it will be before FTs' resume normally. Ted, what should be done if there were no trials till Aug. 1? What would that do to the entries for both the Open and Amateur? Would it result in only one half or one third the number of dogs qualifying? I have no idea if it would affect either but I do know it would affect the Master National. The Master Amateur has been cancelled and I don't think there is any thought to even run it. So it will be in the spring of 2021 and qualifications only started the 1st of March and not much worry about it for a while.

    I started this thread simply to call attention that there needs to be contingency plans based on the normal resumption of HTs' and FTs' in the future. Is it reasonable to delay the dates of these National tests? Is it reasonable to relax the qualifications based on resumption of local tests? Are there other solutions that can work just as well? I was not thinking of EE or the cost to the owners or handlers or the clubs. I was thinking that we simply need to work toward continuing to make our tests and trials a great time to run our dogs, see old friends and make new ones.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    China detected COVID 19 in December 2019. Since then over 2000 people have died in China from the virus. Epidemiologists have praised the response to the virus in countries like Korea and Taiwan (who dealt with virus spread from SARS). Those same epidemiologists have criticized European countries and the United States for not addressing the disease more aggressively. In Italy, the death toll is currently 1,809. Italy is in lockdown. Epidemiologists warn that the infection curve for the United States will likely mirror that of Italy. France has initiated "Shelter in Place" (travel only for food, medicine, and emergencies). Seven counties in the Bay Area of California have ordered "Shelter in Place." The mayor in New York City has warned his constituency to prepare for a "lockdown" (Shelter in Place). Shelter in Place is around the corner for all of us in the United States.

    I think it unlikely that the virus crisis will subside for 3-4 months. And I suspect that we will be dealing with virus consequences for much longer than that.

    I think we all have bigger things to worry about that when the Field Trial season will begin again. I doubt that there will be a National Amateur this year. I just can't see that the virus will be under control in less than 3 months.

    Personally, I wish that the NARC would take the lead, cancel the 2020 NARC, and lead the way in our community. This is not a time to be conducting Field Trials or worrying about when they will begin.

    It's time for all of us to do what we can to "flatten the curve" for the disease.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  7. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    1,779

    Default

    Thank you Ted I can’t believe people don’t get it.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

    CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

  8. #16
    Senior Member Daren Galloway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    China detected COVID 19 in December 2019. Since then over 2000 people have died in China from the virus. Epidemiologists have praised the response to the virus in countries like Korea and Taiwan (who dealt with virus spread from SARS). Those same epidemiologists have criticized European countries and the United States for not addressing the disease more aggressively. In Italy, the death toll is currently 1,809. Italy is in lockdown. Epidemiologists warn that the infection curve for the United States will likely mirror that of Italy. France has initiated "Shelter in Place" (travel only for food, medicine, and emergencies). Seven counties in the Bay Area of California have ordered "Shelter in Place." The mayor in New York City has warned his constituency to prepare for a "lockdown" (Shelter in Place). Shelter in Place is around the corner for all of us in the United States.

    I think it unlikely that the virus crisis will subside for 3-4 months. And I suspect that we will be dealing with virus consequences for much longer than that.

    I think we all have bigger things to worry about that when the Field Trial season will begin again. I doubt that there will be a National Amateur this year. I just can't see that the virus will be under control in less than 3 months.

    Personally, I wish that the NARC would take the lead, cancel the 2020 NARC, and lead the way in our community. This is not a time to be conducting Field Trials or worrying about when they will begin.

    It's time for all of us to do what we can to "flatten the curve" for the disease.
    As a trial attorney Ted, where does the 1st Amendment fit into this? The right to assemble. Does the government have a legal right to keep everyone home? This time its corona, next time its a political disagreement.
    Daren Galloway

    FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

  9. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    1,779

    Default

    First Amendment not absolute. The old example - can’t run into a theater and yell fire. However I’m sure if it happens it will be litigated and will end up in the Supreme Court. Looking forward to Ginsburg opinion.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

    CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

  10. #18
    Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Beaver Dam,Wisconsin
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I'd also think this is probably much more of a Tenth Amendment issue than a First.
    Twin Willows Black Water
    All nose and a lot of go. She's gonna be a lot of fun.
    Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl.

  11. #19
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    Rather than constitutional debate, I would focus on epidemiological modeling of the spread of disease and why "flattening the curve" is critical. Italy did not address the issue until too late, the curve spiked, and the demand for hospital beds and respirators have exceeded need. Consequently, Italian doctors are in the unfortunate position of turning away critical patients, which amounts to a death sentence. Anyone who chooses to act as though their behavior impacts only themselves is ignorant of how disease is transmitted.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/


    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  12. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Wash your hands, keep your distance, stay home if you feel ill. More than anything think of others not just yourself.

    WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
    ROCK CHALK

    What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •