Whistle recommendations please.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Whistle recommendations please.

Default Whistle recommendations please.

I currently have a Dallahasse whistle and I don't like it. Very hard on my ears. I am looking at getting the Roy Gonia "The answer". I love the high pitch sound but I have read it is a little hard to blow. Is that true? If so, is there another whistle out there that has the same high pitch but is easier to blow?

Thank you,
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

All of them are hard on your ears. Get in the habit of plugging your ears as you blow the whistle.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    All of them are hard on your ears. Get in the habit of plugging your ears as you blow the whistle.

I have had several competition whistles so I understand in a sense they are all hard on the ears. But the Dallahasse takes it to a whole new level.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quite a few people like these.
    IMG_3316.jpg
    You need this whistle https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-W...632309&sr=8-18
    And this whistle https://www.amazon.com/SportDOG-Bran...s%2C228&sr=1-4

Cut the bugle off the sport dog and glue it to the storm whistle. I used JB Weld. Some people use hot glue, gorilla glue, super glue......
    Very loud and much easier to blow than most others I have tried.

There is a 3D printed whistle made by someone in Oregon, very loud and better than the Titan 3D whistle that I have IMO.

Gunners up makes two different Green Monster type whistles. I have the first one they made and don't like it. Not that loud and very hard to blow. I hear the new one is better but have no first hand knowledge.

We were just discussing the subject while training yesterday. One of the guys knows a pro that buys a dozen of his favorite whistles then sorts out the ones that sound best.

All of these options will cause damage to your hearing. I am as guilty as anyone of not using ear protection and the dial tone I hear right now is one of the penalties. I'm sure a few of you remember what dial tone is.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    I wear ear plugs anytime I run a blind, in training an competition.
    Daren Galloway

FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I am looking at getting the Roy Gonia "The answer". I love the high pitch sound but I have read it is a little hard to blow. Is that true?
    Have used the Answer for years when I "graduated" from the old Roy Gonia whistle because I was looking for a whistle that could be heard at longer distances. Hard to blow? Nope .... but then maybe I'm just full of hot air!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (HRC & NAHRA 500 PT Clubs)
    HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI (2003-2017)