Goldie's home!
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldie's home!

Default Goldie's home!

A week ago, my Goldie acted like she didn't feel well and went off her feed. She was 10 years old on Feb. 7 and came into season Feb. 13. I took her into the vet to have her checked. She was diagnosed with a pyometra. So, she had surgery last Tuesday. But, the infection caused by the pyometra was bad. At one point her white cell blood count shot up to 88,000. I went to see her every day and, although she seemed a little better each day, progress was slow until about Friday, when I could tell she was feeling a lot better. I almost lost her but she's doing very well now. I got to bring her home yesterday afternoon. Other than the sutures, she's her old self.

Goldie is a daughter of FC AFC LaCrosse Max Q Jake JH FDHF OS. I have Labs but decided to get a Golden puppy 10 years ago. When I did, I got some criticism from some of my Lab friends. So, I decided to name her Meglyn Firemark's I am NOT a Lab. She's been a pleasure. Goldie is Senior titled with one Master pass. A few years ago she acted like she didn't want to run hunt tests anymore. The birds would go down, I'd send her, she'd run about thirty yards, then turn around and come back to me. Made no sense. I asked our Jen Ortman, our animal communicator (yes, we have an animal communicator), to come to the house to "talk" to her. She said Goldie told her that she couldn't focus and was tired all the time. Jen said I should have her thyroid checked since those are symptoms. It was low. She's been on thyroid treatment ever since. She's retired now, but loves to hunt pheasants and is really good at it. I called Jen when Goldie's condition got bad last week and asked her to help. She can actually do remote contacts. Right after she did, Goldie started getting better. I'm certainly not taking anything away from my vet, Mark Harris, DVM. He did an outstanding job and without his excellent care, Goldie wouldn't have survived. This post is about Goldie and how happy I am to have her home, not about Jen, but I know there are skeptics. I was a skeptic too until about 6 years ago, but there are many things Jen has done that have no explanation other than she's actually communicating with animals (she can also communicate with those who have passed). Many of the things she says simply can't be made up. There are far too many specifics. I can't explain it but I won't post examples here unless someone asks.

BOTTOM LINE - I'm so glad to have my Goldie home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

So glad for you and Goldie, Don - I am NOT a lab is a great name for a dog that is not a lab! Here is to many more healthy and happy years with, what I think is the best couch company in the world. (had a golden many years ago)
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I'm glad she made it! Best wishes on the continuing recovery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Great News, and that ribbon that wraps around the neck is quite spiffy. I have never seen that before.

I'm delighted to hear that Goldie is doing well! I don't know if you ever saw Jake, but Goldie has a very strong resemblance to him ... particularly the almond shaped eyes that the trademark dot on her head .
    All the best to you and Goldie!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Niles Bora View Post
    Great News, and that ribbon that wraps around the neck is quite spiffy. I have never seen that before.
    Ken - I used to be Treasurer and Hunt Test Secretary for Ohio Valley Retriever Club. Probably 12 years ago, we were having a problem with low entries. One night, I was working on OVRC stuff on my computer. I was trying to figure out something that might generate interest in entering. I happened to see a blue title sash that my late old Abe, HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, got in addition to his qualifying rosette when he earned his HR title. So, after checking with AKC, I talked the OVRC Board into giving orange title sashes in addition to the qualifying rosettes for JH, SH and MH. Of course, we had to have good judges and good grounds, but the sashes were a major hit and still are. I thought I'd be titling 3 dogs at the OVRC hunt test this coming April and get a couple of title sashes for clients and one for me, but COVID-19 put an end to those plans.
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2013.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm delighted to hear that Goldie is doing well! I don't know if you ever saw Jake, but Goldie has a very strong resemblance to him ... particularly the almond shaped eyes that the trademark dot on her head .
    All the best to you and Goldie!
    Yes, I did and you are absolutely correct. She also has the white streak on her chest like Jake. You can't see it due to the ribbons.
    Last edited by Don Smith; 03-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.

www.meglynretrievers.com

What does an "animal communicator" charge? I know my dog has been talking smack about me and I want to know exactly what he has said. He'll lie his ass off if confronted on it but I bet the other dogs in the training group will rat him out for a price.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Don, very happy to hear Goldie is back home and doing well. Its always nerve racking when a problem pops up and they have double digit age. What happened to Goldie is the very reason, I sapy all my females once they are either eliminated as a breeding prospect, or done. Pyo can be devastating.
    Glad she is OK.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    What does an "animal communicator" charge? I know my dog has been talking smack about me and I want to know exactly what he has said. He'll lie his ass off if confronted on it but I bet the other dogs in the training group will rat him out for a price.
    Jen charges $30 for a 15 minute session. We always have her in attendance at our annual Holiday Fair and the time blocks fill up fast. Like i said, until 6 years ago, I never bought into this stuff, but she's amazing. Here are a few examples:

To begin, typically, if Jen has never met the dog owner, all you do is give your first name and the dog's call name. If she knows you but it's the first time for the dog, then just the dog's call name. Except for my personal experience, these examples were all related to my wife or me by the dog owner. These are all true stories.

1. First example, a friend of ours named Susan had Jen talk to her golden retriever, Xavier. All that Jen knew was this was Susan and Xavier. Now, Susan's husband raises and shows $100,000 black Angus cattle. Nothing was said about that. If fact, other than the fact that Susan was wearing a wedding ring, there was no clue that she is married. During the session, Jen told Susan that Xavier was telling her something that she didn't understand and asked Susan if she could explain. What did Xavier tell Jen? He said that sometimes, he and Susan's husband sit on the couch and look at magazines with photos of cows in them.

2. I mentioned above the time when Jen said that Goldie told her that she couldn't focus and was tired all the time. Symptomatic of low thyroid and, in fact, she was. One other thing happened during that session, which was at our house. Jen has never seen my kennels. She knew I trained retrievers (Meglyn Retrievers) but didn't know I also train a few pointing dogs. After talking about Goldie, Jen surprised me by asking if I had a pointing dog in the kennels. I told her I had a Weimaraner. I was so shocked by her question, that I forgot I'd gotten a German shorthair in two days before. Now, this shorthair, like some dogs when they first come here, was stressed, off his feed and drooling. When that happens, they begin to adjust after a couple of days. I told her that I had gotten a shorthair in two days before. She said that it was, in fact, a shorthair she was seeing and that he was confused, didn't know what he was here and was very unhappy. She couldn't have made that up.

3. A friend of my wife's takes her dog dock diving. One thing she noticed is that when the dog comes out of the water, he goes up to the instructor and shakes off so she gets wet. My wife's friend had a session for her dog with Jen. Nothing was said about dock diving. During the session, Jen tells the owner that her dog loves to dock dive. Odd, since, as I said, nothing was said by the owner about dock diving. Then, Jen said that what the dog really likes to do is go up to "that woman" when he comes out of the water and shake off all over her.

Those are only a couple of examples for which I can think of no explanation other than Jen can actually communicate with animals. I know of dozens more.

Then, as I said, Jen can also communicate with those who have passed away. One example: One of our friends and a man had been a couple for years. They never got married and maintained separate houses, but they were dedicated to one another. He got cancer and two years ago this summer, passed away. But, before he did, he told Cindy that after he passed away (she was the sole beneficiary) and was cleaning out his house, there were two diamond rings that he wanted to make sure she got, but he didn't tell her where they were. This story was related by Cindy, not Jen, but Jen confirmed it later. Cleaning out his house, Cindy couldn't find the rings. In desperation, she called Jen. Jen asked her to hold on a minute, then she got back on the phone, said she was talking to him and that he told Jen there was a hidden compartment under the stairs. Well, sure enough, there was a hidden compartment and the rings were there. Disagree if you want. All I know is that's what I was told by Cindy.

I know all this is hard to explain. Jen's website is https://www.jenortman.net/

www.meglynretrievers.com