Pregnant picky eater
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant picky eater

Default Pregnant picky eater

Anyone have ideas to get picky eater to keep eating during pregnancy? Started turning up her nose and vomiting last week when I started adding the Fido Vite Sportz. Thought maybe the supplement so stopped, but now it is all the time. Eats chicken, steak, and bacon but won’t touch her Pro Plan Performance. Even mixed with the meat she picks around it! She was AI 4 weeks ago today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bustinwater View Post
    Anyone have ideas to get picky eater to keep eating during pregnancy? Started turning up her nose and vomiting last week when I started adding the Fido Vite Sportz. Thought maybe the supplement so stopped, but now it is all the time. Eats chicken, steak, and bacon but won’t touch her Pro Plan Performance. Even mixed with the meat she picks around it! She was AI 4 weeks ago today.
    Sounds like your menu. Try Euk PP 30 20. She might like the change, stimulate the taste buds. I can run some up to you if you want.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Try adding yoghurt, cottage cheese, and eggs. Soak the PP in chicken broth and or beef broth. Just some ideas developed from feeding a couple of like girls.
    Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Rotisserie chicken was my goto during my girl's pregnancy and after whelping. She loved to sit and watch me disassemble the bird, feeding her the skin and scraps first. Second to that was cooked roughly ground beef. I hope you can find supplies for your soon to be momma. Good luck.
    David Cuthbertson

G-Man's Spy Keeper "Rahab"
    HR G-Man's Texas Trick Shot QA2 "Annie"
    HRCH Trumarc's Super Splash SH "Splash" (1994-2009)

"Brother, a trial is not to see what your dog would do in a day's hunt, but what he will do under extraordinary conditions, judged by unusual people, and watched by an unusual gallery." (Charles Morgan on Retrievers)

I am so thankful Smarty did not go through this. I hope you can find a solution... Gotta baby the baby mama for sure! Most replies so far seem to be on the mark - bacon grease warmed up is one of my dogs' favorites (although never more than a tablespoon)
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I forget ground elk. The last litter I'd shot one in CO and one in NM so I had a bursting freezer and healthy dogs.
    Chuck

I must be the odd one out.... I feed PPP Sport 30/20 and that's essentially all they get. I work really hard to not create picky eaters. When they are hungry they'll eat. Mine might skip a meal or two early on and then realize it won't get them anything better. Sometimes they won't eat for a few days before whelping and I'll add something to the food if they miss too many meals as they need the calories that late in pregnancy. They all whelp in a body condition score 5/9 and maintain or gain weight from whelping to weaning.

Maybe I've just been lucky? I just hate picky eaters. They generally don't get better after whelping and I have no time or patience for weeks of that nonsense.
    Last edited by IdahoLabs; 03-22-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA OAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX MXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (5 QQ, 38 T2B pts, 180 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush RN TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD NAP NJP TKN CGC
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

I frequently recommend rotisserie chicken for patients who are having a hard time eating. BUT do not feed the skins. The high fat content of the skin can be very irritating to the pancreas. Get that organ fired up and then you will have big problems. I also found that the "Fresh-Pet dog food in the refrigerated section of dog food is pretty appealing. My 15.5 yr old wanted to quit eating, I top dressed her kibble with it and she ate all her kibble too. Oldest lab I've ever had, keep waiting for the shoe to drop but she is still happy, wants attention, and most of all really wants her food.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Thanks all, not sure what her deal is, ultrasound showed no puppies yesterday. There goes another fortune to this sport!

I would be checking for Pyometra right now!

Meredith