Thought on Surgical AI for first litter.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Thought on Surgical AI for first litter.

I will be looking to breed one of my females in the next couple of years but it will be her first litter.

I want to keep a puppy and have been doing a lot of research on breedings.

The sire I have my heart set on has only frozen available and even then it might be hard to come by.

My concerns would be the health of my bitch first and foremost but also the monetary investment for a dog that may or may not be able to conceive and whelp a litter.

She has had regular heat cycles every 6 months since about 1 year old.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I think age of the bitch is important and also age of stud when the collection was made. When I did my research breeding Smarty, I read in several places that the average combined age of the stud and dam should be under 10 yrs... in ideal conditions. This was for natural breedings or side by side...I can't imagine the same concept wouldn't apply to breedings using frozen.

Not sure, but I would guess it possible to have a full reproductive evaluation done on your girl?

Best of luck! It is nerve wracking to put thousands of dollars into a breeding!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

How old is she and how many total heats. I have done surgical AIs for a first litter and been ok most of the time. Be sure to se the semen report for that collection before you buy. I got some less than good semen once and only got two pups. Next litter that female had 11 pups. So I don't think it was the bitch.
    For a youg bitch with only a few heats, TCI might be a viable option. Had it done for my last litter and it took all of 10 minutes, but we only got 4 pups. Semen seemed ok so not sure why the small litter. Not sure how far you are from Brittmoore Animal Hospital https://www.brittmooreanimalhospital.com/.pml
    But they have top nationally know repro experts.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

2.5 years old now but will probably be 3.5 at least when I breed.

So 3 or 4 heats.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Should be fine to consider TCI.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

A major factor for selection of the method of AI breeding is the quality of the semen. Anymore, surgical insemination is generally only used for low quality semen - low motility /high abnormal counts. If you have decent semen TCI is generally the way to go.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Bess was 6 when she was bred for the first (and only) time via SxS TCI.
    Brittmoore did it and she produced 9 very equal, healthly pups. As i recall, the procedure wasn't that expensive.

Correction: Hers wasn't surgical. Almost resorted to that but finally got the tube thru the cervix.
    Last edited by Mark Littlejohn; 03-23-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Lucy had her first litter when she was 7 1/2 via surgical, bred with frozen (Jake) ... 4 puppies.
    Next year we did another surgical with frozen plus extracted fresh from 11 y.o. Jake (probably got a few swimmers, very few) ... ended up with 7 puppies.
    Lee Payne at Oxford (MS) Animal Clinic did both procedures.
    I'm a believer in surgicals.