Downtime
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtime

Default Downtime

Well we go into lockdown tonight at midnight what are your your plans for training now. I have a loophole using their rules. We are allowed to walk for exercise and take our dogs out to exercise also. This is Dallas county in texas, heck since we cant run a derby we went to go work on cold blunds and lining. What are you guys doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I am a middle school math teacher now teaching on line. I have been posting videos of training my dog and asking math questions. He ran a 110 yard blind in 45 seconds. What was his mph? A did a simple t drill 100 yards and ask how far he went on a right triangle (pythagorean theorem work) I will do a wagon wheel casting drill and ask them to add some angles together that he runs. It has been kind of fun. They like it and so do I. I am in Montana and not in lock down.

As a retired math, chemistry and physics teacher, I find that very creative. Your students are lucky to
    have you as their instructor.

p.s. My wife and I are in hibernation.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 03-23-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    As a retired math, chemistry and physics teacher, I find that very creative. Your students are lucky to have you as their instructor.

p.s. My wife and I are in hibernation.

Thanks so much for those kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
    I am a middle school math teacher now teaching on line. I have been posting videos of training my dog and asking math questions. He ran a 110 yard blind in 45 seconds. What was his mph? A did a simple t drill 100 yards and ask how far he went on a right triangle (pythagorean theorem work) I will do a wagon wheel casting drill and ask them to add some angles together that he runs. It has been kind of fun. They like it and so do I. I am in Montana and not in lock down.
    Great job!! Now make them prove the pythagorean theorem!! And if they prove it one way, lmake them prove it the other.

Making learning fun! Hard to beat.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

The world is a dangerous place to live. Not because of those who are evil, but because of those who
    choose to do nothing about that! Einstein

We aren't on lockdown but I'm staying around the house. I have one in swim-by and one in FF right now, so I'm good to go. I have a swim-by pond on my property and enough room to throw short marks and memory drills. There are a few fields nearby that I can go run real marks on when I need to.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

J, I agree with Marvin, fun learning is the way to go.

Jesus, get that pup on through the basics and I hope "age out" is months away.

I taught a 9 yo bitch to upland hunt Sunday morning. I called a buddy who owns a preserve to prep a field. I told him I didn't want to know how many, locations or anything but which gate to pull through. My son and son in law did the shooting.

This is a "social distance tailgate pic". I gotta call Jeff and see how many he put out on that 70 acres......I hope it was a dozen and not 100.(otherwise my "teaching" may need work)

20200322_110042.jpg
    john mccallie

cornbread and ice tea 's took the place of pills and 90 proof

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Making learning fun! Hard to beat.
    yes! Just imagine how well trained dogs are going to be by the time people are able to get back to competitions. How many people will be able to focus on 'test wise' issues? The dogs will benefit, IMO.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    J, I agree with Marvin, fun learning is the way to go.

Jesus, get that pup on through the basics and I hope "age out" is months away.

I taught a 9 yo bitch to upland hunt Sunday morning. I called a buddy who owns a preserve to prep a field. I told him I didn't want to know how many, locations or anything but which gate to pull through. My son and son in law did the shooting.

This is a "social distance tailgate pic". I gotta call Jeff and see how many he put out on that 70 acres......I hope it was a dozen and not 100.(otherwise my "teaching" may need work)

20200322_110042.jpg
    Hope the dog had more fun than the looks on those mugs make it appear y'all did.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log