Grocery and Take Out vs Covid-19 - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grocery and Take Out vs Covid-19

Me too. Grew up in CO, I mean. We used to get a case or three of palisades peaches every year, slice them, and freeze them. And the Rocky Ford cantelopes? My great-grandparents homesteaded over by there and with relatives in Rocky Ford we'd get a bunch. When I moved to NM, we'd still get street vendors bringing the peaches down to Farmington and I'd by several cases and pass them out at work and the vet clinic. August was always special. As a kid, though, we'd use rotten plums as projectiles
    Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This thread dredged up some old memories. We didn't throw fruit. About once a month we'd
    meet after dark and everyone would bring an old tennis ball (or two). Thrown just right, they'd
    make a real loud thunder like noise if you bounced it underneath just right on the way by. Never
    got caught either. Running in the dark can be interesting (or not).

Cars were kind of high off the ground 60 years ago. It was easier. When I got a bit older, I bought
    my first car. It was Desoto with a "fluid-matic" transmission. It went down the road somewhat like
    a giant waterbed and wasn't quite as cool as the two door below (four door). Mine was a four door,
    powder blue and had a very roomy back seat.

My next car several years later was a two door Ford with big fins in back. I should have kept that one.

I never would have thought that fruit throwing would bring back memories of my first two cars.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 03-27-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post
    Me too. Grew up in CO, I mean. We used to get a case or three of palisades peaches every year, slice them, and freeze them. And the Rocky Ford cantelopes? My great-grandparents homesteaded over by there and with relatives in Rocky Ford we'd get a bunch. When I moved to NM, we'd still get street vendors bringing the peaches down to Farmington and I'd by several cases and pass them out at work and the vet clinic. August was always special. As a kid, though, we'd use rotten plums as projectiles
    Living in Montana is not a bad substitution for Colorado. I spent almost 10 years circa 1955-1964, in Gunnison! Then my parents moved us to Colorado Springs...were I went to high school...

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    This thread dredged up some old memories. We didn't throw fruit. About once a month we'd
    meet after dark and everyone would bring an old tennis ball (or two). Thrown just right, they'd
    make a real loud thunder like noise if you bounced it underneath just right on the way by. Never
    got caught either. Running in the dark can be interesting (or not).

Cars were kind of high off the ground 60 years ago. It was easier. When I got a bit older, I bought
    my first car. It was Desoto with a "fluid-matic" transmission. It went down the road somewhat like
    a giant waterbed and wasn't quite as cool as the two door below (four door). Mine was a four door,
    powder blue and had a very roomy back seat.

My next car several years later was a two door Ford with big fins in back. I should have kept that one.

I never would have thought that fruit throwing would bring back memories of my first two cars.
    Well in our small mountain town, fruit throwing, our main fruit was large crab apples, they were available, and did no damage...! The tennis ball idea is a good one, if we had thought of it, we would have had to try it!

My first car was a 1957 Mercury, yellow and black and like you say the back seat was just right for Drive In Movies and other sports...

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Living in Montana is not a bad substitution for Colorado. I spent almost 10 years circa 1955-1964, in Gunnison! Then my parents moved us to Colorado Springs...were I went to high school...
    People in Montana will hate me for saying this, but Montana is the Colorado I grew up in. My sister is still only a few miles from the house we grew up in, and the traffic on the Front Range alone keeps me from even thinking about moving back. I worked a good bit on the western slope, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and some in Idaho. Montrose and Grand Junction were on my list of potential retirement homes as was Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming, but Montana won. I'd spent too much time here, knew too many people, to make it a hard choice once I got to that age.

I always loved summer in Gunnison - but the winters are a bit brisk, to say the least. I worked some up at Crested Butte and up the valley from Gunnison, but always in warmer weather. I spent one winter in Granby, which was pretty similar to Gunnison temperature-wise. And the Springs? I could think of of a lot worse places to go to high school.

Goosers discussion of curbside grocery delivery is worth considering, but where I am the grocery stores don't offer it. We're too small, I guess.
    Last edited by dr_dog_guy; 03-29-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Chuck

Chuck

I think you would be surprised to know, that the City Market on the south end of Montrose, is the busiest Kroger ( conglomerate)store in the state of Colorado.. City market, King Soopers, and Kroger.. The airport here, and then Telluride make that store very popular.. Normally well stocked.. This morning, I guess the inside shopping was nothing less than a riot. ! People in arguments, pushing and shoving ,complaining of empty shelves..

Statewide Shelter in place (Whatever you want to call it) ORDER now.. Only allowed to travel to grocery shop, doctors appointments, Pharmacy hardware store.. You can walk the dog,,, but you can not travel to recreate.. I am missing prime spring time fishing.. There are 8 confirmed cases of covid in Montrose.. as of yesterday morning.. (Friday)

All 8 porter cable routers have new bearings and power cords.. Table saw has a new motor,and is wired for 220.. vintage collection of Stanley Planes all have razor sharp Irons.. I might sneeek to town for 3 gallons of paint.. Shed out back (ammo hut) and the interor trim/door and window casings need touched up..

Flinch is running 15 ft blinds.. got her down to 3 whistles !
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

For you Texans that love Durango so much!!

The san Juan County SHERIFF ( one guy) closed San Juan COUNTY to LOCALS ONLY!!

San Juan County includes the San Juan National forest,,and thousands of acres of BLM land.

Folks were told to only travel THROUGH Durango. no stopping for non locals. Licencse plates that were not registerd in San Juan county were subject to fines and Towing.. This INCLUDES cars parked on Mountain Passes,,and cars parked at trailheads..

This was done a week before the statewide shelter in place was ordered by our silly Governor..

A county Sheriff has decided he has the power to take control of Federal Public Land..

Crazy times..
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-28-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post
    People in Montana will hate me for saying this, but Montana is the Colorado I grew up in. My sister is still only a few miles from the house we grew up in, and the traffic on the Front Range alone keeps me from even thinking about moving back. I worked a good bit on the western slope, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and some in Idaho. Montrose and Grand Junction were on my list of potential retirement homes as was Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming, but Montana won. I'd spent too much time here, knew too many people, to make it a hard choice once I got to that age.

I always loved summer in Gunnison - but the winters are a bit brisk, to say the least. I worked some up at Crested Butte and up the valley from Gunnison, but always in warmer weather. I spent one winter in Granby, which was pretty to Gunnison similar temperature-wise. And the Springs? I could think of of a lot worse places to go to high school.

Goosers discussion of curbside grocery delivery is worth considering, but where I am the grocery stores don't offer it. We're too small, I guess.
    Sounds like you did it right while working and landed in a great place to retire! I still visit the CO mountains every summer and even went skiing a couple of years ago. It was fun, but I didn't dare fall at my age I would have broken something for sure....thanks for sharing your thoughts...

The busiest Kroger in Colorado is in Montrose? You're so right I'm surprised. Montrose was a sleepy little west slope town when I worked there. Telluride seemed like it was far away in those days. From Montrose, on the weekends a couple of us on the crew I was working on would go camp up above Ouray, and two of us went to some of the earliest Telluride Blue Grass and Jazz festivals. Its funny, that picture you posted of a Columbine last week or so really reminded me of a big basin way up high and between Ouray and Telluride off that old mining road. The basin was covered in Columbine so big the flowers would cover your hand. I almost said something about those flowers when you posted that picture. Still can't buy toilet paper here, but I hear the Costco in Missoula now has some occasionally. At least I hope so. I suspect Costco and Walmart there were about like your City Market, but I haven't heard of anything quite that crazy at any of the four local grocery stores - though you still can't find toilet paper.

We have the same shelter in place order as of yesterday, but we were under milder restrictions even before that. Both Ronan and Polson have been pretty quiet for a couple of weeks. I'm not as far along as you with getting stuff fixed up around the house, but if you could sneak up here you're welcome to come drag the harrow around the field. The grass is starting to green up and I need to get that done to fix up the damage those darn voles have done over the winter before the grass really starts growing. Its funny, the 55 horse tractor I have was oversized for the small fields I had in NM, but now I wish I had an 80 or 100 horse tractor with a cab for here. Especially with a heated cab, but that's another story.

Only 2 cases in Lake County so far, and both arrived after travel. Missoula and Bozeman are a different story, with more cases, but still its pretty mild here so far. It pays to be off the beaten path, I guess.

Davy's blinds are bit longer than 15 ft, but three whistles sounds great!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Sounds like you did it right while working and landed in a great place to retire! I still visit the CO mountains every summer and even went skiing a couple of years ago. It was fun, but I didn't dare fall at my age I would have broken something for sure....thanks for sharing your thoughts...
    I was a very lucky man in many ways throughout a good part of my career. I traveled too much to have a dog, which stunk, but I was working outside 6 - 9 months out of the year in some of the best places in the west. And before that, Colorado was a great place to grow up. Those mountains get in your blood, don't they?
    Chuck