New puppy with older dogs
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: New puppy with older dogs

Default New puppy with older dogs

We have 3 dogs, 10 week old YML, 5 year old BLM and 10 year old YFL. Female lets both males she doesn't want to play and they are both respectful. 10 week old wants to play with 5 year old and 5 year old plays well with him.

At this time we are only allowing them to play in the evening, outside with supervision. They are all 3 walked together a few times a week. Puppy's walk stamina isn't up to the big dogs of course, I try to walk him separate and do Bill Hillman's puppy work with him.

Is it OK to continue to allow them that play time in the evening, or should we eliminate that?
    Paula

HRCH Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My dogs have always been good with puppies. You have to watch to make sure the older dogs aren't too rough with them, but its never been a problem. Several titled dogs have come up that way with one FC and the rest hunt test titled. Didn't seem to hurt them. And they in turn were good with the current youngsters which are now well over a year old and off with trainers.
    Chuck

I'm always cautious when introducing a new dog, big or baby, to my pack. The older dogs can be territorial and will defend it from 'newcomers.' Never leave your newbie unattended with the other dogs. There is a method to your pack welcoming a newcomer. Don't make the same mistake I did. The newcomer fought with the oldster. I was ready to take back the newcomer to the breeder. The breeder asked me why and I told him about the battle issue. When he asked me how I introduced the newbie to the oldster, he let me know right away that just putting them together in the backyard was not fair to either dog. I did as instructed and I'm so glad I did. The newcomer ended up being so good at performance and titled in many dog sports.
    This is how I made the newcomer part of the pack. For the next several weeks, the newcomer spends some time in his outside run while the others sniff and play curious around the newbie. I do this for several days in a row. Then when I feel the time is right, I put the newcomer on a lead and walk him on lead in the backyard. The rest of the pack is loose in the yard with us. We don't pay any attention the rest of the pack. When the pack comes up to the newcomer and are not exerting dominance, I praise them but did not overdo the praise as not to get them too excited and get goofy. This again goes on for several more days. Then we do the same off lead. It is a process but well worth the time for the established pack and the new pack member.

Some dogs personalities don't mesh. I don't put my oldest lab with the mid-age lab. I don't want to run the risk of either dog getting hurt. Yet my new young lab gets on well with the mid-age lab.

One thing you don't want to do is to kennel new dog with old dog. New dogs are way too playful and may irritate the older one. Feed youngster away from the others, preferably in new one's crate.

I'm sure if you go online and search "How to introduce a new dog to older dog/s" you'll get plenty of hits. This is what I've done for all my dogs and it has worked. Like anything new for you and your established pack, practice, practice, practice.

Enjoy your new four-legged friend!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I suggest caution. When an older dog is in the mood to play, OK. But puppies can be pests to older dogs, esp. licking their mouth to make them throw up their food. This could elicit a "correction". Luath still has a small scar on his nose from a ZING from dear departed uncle Zeke, who was a generally gentle dog.

even if the older dog gets along great with the pup and they play like best friends, etc etc etc - the weight difference between an older dog/pup vs a very young one (or less coordinated one) can mean injuries if play turns to rough housing --- full on zoomies, older dog bowling over the youngster, shoulder slamming, etc.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Dog/dog play is nothing except a competition for dominance. For that reason, it should be discouraged as YOU are the dominant in the relationship/pack. You are alpha, they are all Omega, and equal.

Sooner or later your two boys WILL fight to see who's got the bigger set. You'd be better off avoiding that.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Dog/dog play is nothing except a competition for dominance. .
    Darrin, you usually provide a lot of good advice. This, however, is flat out wrong. That simple dominance model of dog behavior was discarded a couple of decades ago. Dogs are a lot more complex than that, and play for a lot of different reasons.
    Chuck

I would limit ur puppies interactions with all dogs as much as possible until he’s six months old. He should spend as much time with humans as possible. It’s critical!!!